Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 4 December 2011 CE
Dec 04, 2011, 17:38
Popel Vooje wrote:

Disco Inferno - The Five E.P.s
Tis heartwarming to see a band whom I saw getting heckled and ridiculed as "pretentious fat bastards with computers" (by the members of their utterly shite support band) back in the day finally getting their due acknowledgement, even if it is 20 years too late. I think the time is ripe for someone to write a "Postrocksampler". If anyone fancies giving me a publishing deal...

Pretty great. I've been hung up on the In Debt stuff for years and not looked further. On the strength of this I've been missing out. Saw them early on supporting the whipping Boy at the White Horse in Hampstead. They all had custom instruments which surprised me about reading the liner notes to the 5eps set. bass was headless, guitar looked very expensive. Thought they had well-to-do parents since they seemed pretty young. Looks like I was wrong, but still love that whatever Meat Puppets play Joy Division or Durutti Column shimmer of that early stuff. Must get myself the later stuff, oversight not to have already.
Che were really prescient in terms of who they signed. Or is that faulty memory? Did recognise Bark Psychosis at least & I wouldn't be here right now if I hadn't happened on the Whipping Boy on a Che bill at the Bull & Gate.
(thinking of which a MBV gig with the original singer is up on Dime at the moment. Caught that line-up there too.)

Popel Vooje wrote:

Ther Golden Dawn - A Power Plant
Magnificent, classic Texas psych, and definitely not mere Elevators knock-offs - a misperception that was only caused by International Artists holdiong up its release so that they could put out "Easter Eveywhere" first
(even though it was recorded afterwards). Maybe this will one day get the deluxe edition mono/stereo treatment that IA are currently lavishing on the Elevators and the Red Crayola.

Have been wondering about the recent reissue of this set since I love the lp. Was it just the 13FE mastertapes finally located or is this in better sound than the Get Back reissue?
Love the lysergic Monkees pop of a lot of this though my first contact with the band was the Starvation on the Radarscope e.p. of IA stuff

Stevo
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index