Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 6 November 2011 CE

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 6 November 2011 CE
Nov 08, 2011, 21:47
What a great weeks Soundtrack thread this has been - so many things of interest to listen to, catch up on.

And I forgot to mention that I'm still loving i by Mmoss...
http://mmoss.bandcamp.com/
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Nov 09, 2011, 00:50
Squid Tempest wrote:
And I forgot to mention that I'm still loving i by Mmoss...
http://mmoss.bandcamp.com/

Listened to that again today and it reminded me of you. Which is odd as we've never met. But you know what I mean. Good album, thanks again for the tip.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Nov 09, 2011, 11:11
http://www.nyctaper.com/?p=6728

live version here, not listened yet, checking out the Psychic Ills set first which sounds very S3 so far
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Nov 09, 2011, 11:48
machineryelf wrote:
http://www.nyctaper.com/?p=6728

live version here, not listened yet, checking out the Psychic Ills set first which sounds very S3 so far

Coo, thanks - that makes it sound quite appealing! I'll have a listen later.
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Nov 11, 2011, 03:32
Squid Tempest wrote:
mingtp wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
I've just got a copy of the Bevis Frond after Ming's recommendation, and although I wasn't sure at first it is growing on me like a growy thing - I reckon this is going to be a long term favourite. Ace! Thanks Ming.

Phew. It really does pay off repeated listens imo. The melodies are fragile and melancholic but, omg, the songwriting is incredible - I'd struggle to pick a duff track from all 18 on the album.

Tiz a thing of vast and yearning beauty. I want to savour it before I start a-raiding their back catalogue. I love it when I find a marvellous band that I've missed out on, IYSWIM!

Yay!
My local bricks & mortar record shop had a copy in stock and I snatched it up!
It's just remarkable and I love it instantly! I've got several other Bevis Frond cds and consider myself a fan and this one may just be his best yet. Time will tell. I suspect after a few more spins including tomorrow (Friday) in my car for a long stretch it'll be added to my AOTY shortlist.
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Nov 11, 2011, 06:01
mingtp wrote:
redfish365 wrote:
Pewt'r Sessions by Causa Sui...

And you like it?
How does it compare to the Summer Sessions? Assuming you're in possession of that one... to me its (Summer Sessions) the best thing they've done.

Not heard the Summer Sessions but will investigate. They are great albums Redfish, very much your taste. The links are in the AOTY thread if you want to hear it before buying.

Took me long enough to remember this pro-tip you offered me, Ming!
Downloading now... am pretty interested to see what there are all about.
Summer Sessions is freakin' awesome so hopefully this will be similar. I also have their Free Ride cd but it's really a step down from SS. I'll let ya know what I think... Oh, and if you have difficulties finding SS I'd be more than willing to get you the files... I think you need to hear it by hook or by crook!
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Nov 11, 2011, 09:08
redfish365 wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
mingtp wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
I've just got a copy of the Bevis Frond after Ming's recommendation, and although I wasn't sure at first it is growing on me like a growy thing - I reckon this is going to be a long term favourite. Ace! Thanks Ming.

Phew. It really does pay off repeated listens imo. The melodies are fragile and melancholic but, omg, the songwriting is incredible - I'd struggle to pick a duff track from all 18 on the album.

Tiz a thing of vast and yearning beauty. I want to savour it before I start a-raiding their back catalogue. I love it when I find a marvellous band that I've missed out on, IYSWIM!

Yay!
It's just remarkable and I love it instantly! I've got several other Bevis Frond cds and consider myself a fan and this one may just be his best yet. Time will tell. I suspect after a few more spins including tomorrow (Friday) in my car for a long stretch it'll be added to my AOTY shortlist.

It really is rather good, isn't it?
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Nov 11, 2011, 14:43
bubblehead2 wrote:
Really enjoyed the recent Creation Records documentary on BBC4 so that's been a bit of an influence this week, er, pretty obvious choices, mind...

MBV - Isn't Anything + associated EP's - probably in the minority but i prefer these to the much lauded Loveless.

Mark x

It's a shame that none of the EPs are available anymore - especially since the "Feed Me With Your Kiss" one contains "I Need No Trust", which is my favourite MBV track (the reason why they buried it away on a B-side continues to elude me). I suppose that given Kevin Shields' usual work pace we'll see a re-issue sometime around 2031.
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Nov 12, 2011, 06:50
Squid Tempest wrote:
redfish365 wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
mingtp wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:

Yay!

Absolutely!
It opens with a lovely and super catchy one and really doesn't let up. It's definitely as good as anything I've heard from him (them) and may well be his best yet as I said. He's not lost a step and maybe has gained a thing or two with age. I love it!
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Nov 12, 2011, 16:48
redfish365 wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
redfish365 wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
mingtp wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:

Yay!

Absolutely!
It opens with a lovely and super catchy one and really doesn't let up. It's definitely as good as anything I've heard from him (them) and may well be his best yet as I said. He's not lost a step and maybe has gained a thing or two with age. I love it!

Suzy Squid (name disguised to protect the innocent) has been humming Johnny Kwango all day.
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index