Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 6 November 2011 CE
Nov 06, 2011, 23:50
Squid Tempest wrote:
I've just got a copy of the Bevis Frond after Ming's recommendation, and although I wasn't sure at first it is growing on me like a growy thing - I reckon this is going to be a long term favourite. Ace! Thanks Ming.

Phew. It really does pay off repeated listens imo. The melodies are fragile and melancholic but, omg, the songwriting is incredible - I'd struggle to pick a duff track from all 18 on the album.
keith a
9574 posts

Edited Nov 07, 2011, 00:08
Nov 07, 2011, 00:08
Dead Legs & Alibi’s - Dark Captain
Some really gorgeous numbers here. I can’t believe they’re not more popular in these parts.

Are You Ready For Love? - The Very Best Of... - The Detroit Spinners
Altogether now...“When I was seventeen, I ran away from home...” I got this for the likes of Ghetto Child and Rubberband Man, but there’s lots more that I’d pretty much forgotten about.

Mazes - Moon Duo
How amazing is the opening track, Seer?

Not Music – Stereolab
I've had this for about a year now and as I wasn’t totally convinced by it I've just dipped into now and again over the last 12 months. I’m not saying I’ll ever consider it their best but it is rewarding my patience.

Where Did the Night Fall – Unkle
One of the best albums of the last few years for me.

Bone Machine – Tom Waits
I hadn’t heard this in ages. Some great tracks like the opening Earth Died Screaming.

Freedom – Neil Young
I’m more of a casual Neil Young admirer than some massive dyed-in-the-wool fan, but I really enjoyed watching that documentary on BBC 4 recently, so I dug this out. The most famous track is probably Rocking In The Free World which is OK, but a bit too obvious IMO. The highlight for me is Don’t Cry, the reason I bought this album in the first place after hearing it on Peel. Still sounds fab.

Also...

Black Secret Technology - A Guy Called Gerald

S/T - Holy Fuck

The Definitive... - Simon & Garfunkel

A BBC History - Tyrannosaurus Rex & T.Rex

Phoenix – The Warlocks

The Freakbeat Scene – V/A

Panic: 15 Tracks Of Riotous Indie Insurrection (Mojo CD) – V/A
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Nov 07, 2011, 01:20
I'm right with ya on Budgie, Lumerians, Magma and Motorpsycho... let's party!
I think the Motorpsycho record has more going on, containing more "ear candy" than the new Opeth but both are so different I'm able to really love 'em each in different ways.
The Lumerians, which I've had for a bunch of months, only recently clicked for me... now its another one which I can't get enough of.
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Nov 07, 2011, 01:23
mingtp wrote:
redfish365 wrote:
I was wondering about the Pewt'r Sessions by Causa Sui... did you get it on cd? I thought it was vinyl only... fingers crossed they put it out on disc!

I'll be honest, I recently gave away my turntable so I nabbed this from the links kindly posted by a nameless HHer.

And you like it?
How does it compare to the Summer Sessions? Assuming you're in possession of that one... to me its (Summer Sessions) the best thing they've done.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Edited Nov 07, 2011, 14:46
Nov 07, 2011, 10:36
Procer Veneficus – Ghost Voices dolefulnufolkambientblackmetslthingummy, suitable for november
Iron Maiden – Final Frontier, Dance of Death, Number of the Beast having ignored Iron Maiden pretty much for the last 25 years I'm finding myself increasingly attracted to them recently, possible midlife crisis or more likely sometimes I just want to listen to something bouncy & fun that isn't the Ramones
Montrose – S/T, Paper Money,Warner Bros Presents, Jump On It + Ronnie Montrose solo lp Open Fire decided to replace my worn out vinyl of the first LP and found one of those 5 for a tenner sets including the rest of the Montrose ouvre, having only heard Paper Money in passing back in the 70s and dismissing it as a pale shadow of the debut was quite impressed with the rest of the set.None of it matches the debut, but if you like 70s rawk you could do a lot worse, every cd has at least a couple of classics and none of it truly qualifies as filler, sent me on a 70s rock nostalgia trip so I also gave REO Speedwagon-10 Decades of RnR,Foghat Live,Aerosmith Live Bootleg,Riot Narita & Fire Down Under and to top it off the band that killed them all off Van - Halen Women & Children First
Deep Purple –S/t
Can – Tago Mago gave this a spin after seeing it mentioned in the 40 years old today thread, I’m of the opinion that there are probably a lot of mint vinyl disc2’s out there along with the worn out Disc 1’s, must admit my usual way of listening to this is the first half tacked onto the end of Monster Movie or Soundtracks, I doubt if my listening to Peking O has reached double figures
Swans – Are Dead
Caina –Hands That Pluck final release from the very grumpy Mr Caina, and IMHO going with a whimper[or a very deep growl] rather than a bang,not so much bad as not as good as the last 2
Zappa – Hot Rats
Dephic Vapours – On Their Knees
Tim Hecker – rave death 72
Bong – Bethmoora
Pantha du Prince – Black Noise
Klaus schulze – La Vie Electronique vols 1-5 still ploughing through these, but not to the exclusion of all else, all first class stuff though, still considering 6-10

edit forget to put down Oneida - AbsoluteII purchased on a whim after reading the Norman review and seeing it in a m'boro record shop, it has it good parts but it lacks any cohesion IMHO may well work as a comedown after Rated O but on its own it's all a bit formless, track 2 has some nice disquieting stabs in but otherwise the 4 drones are seriously lacking in a buildup or coherent finish
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Edited Nov 07, 2011, 13:25
Nov 07, 2011, 12:27
Gnod - InGnodWeTrust
Got the white vinyl of this last week - thanks to Bubblehead (I think it was) that posted about them selling it from their own website. Love it to bits, it wouldn't have left the turntable if it wasn't for some other great stuff this week.

Bevis Frond - The Leaving of London
Goodness, this is really brilliant, big thanks to Ming for pointing me in its direction! I think this could be a favourite for many years to come - the way it is growing on me makes me think that might be the case.

Master Musicians of Bukkake - Totem 1,2 & 3
Yeah yeah I know, horrid name. But what a band. These three records are just genius. Pure and simple. Marvellous.

Solus 3 - Corner of the World
Really lovely. I'm liking this even more than the previous one, and that was fab. Haven't managed to listen to it as much as I would have liked - I suspect it will grow on me still further.

Neil Young - Zuma
Rick Wakeman - Journey to the Centre of the Earth
ZZ Top - Tejas
White Hills - S/T and h-p1
Mugstar - Lime
Oneida - Rated O
Jethro Tull - Benefit
Cave - Neverendless
Bob Dylan - Planet Waves
Yes -Fly From Here
Got this from the library. Thank goodness I didn't buy it! Bloody awful.
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Nov 07, 2011, 13:20
Squid Tempest wrote:
Bardo Pond - The Leaving of London
Goodness, this is really brilliant, big thanks to Ming for pointing me in its direction! I think this could be a favourite for many years to come - the way it is growing on me makes me think that might be the case.

:) Err... I think you mean Bevis Frond :)
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Nov 07, 2011, 13:24
mingtp wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
Bardo Pond - The Leaving of London

:) Err... I think you mean Bevis Frond :)

hahaha! that's what comes of writing this while busy at work! I'd better edit...
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Nov 07, 2011, 13:25
redfish365 wrote:
Pewt'r Sessions by Causa Sui...

And you like it?
How does it compare to the Summer Sessions? Assuming you're in possession of that one... to me its (Summer Sessions) the best thing they've done.

Not heard the Summer Sessions but will investigate. They are great albums Redfish, very much your taste. The links are in the AOTY thread if you want to hear it before buying.
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Nov 07, 2011, 13:33
Trans-Love Energies - Death In Vegas

A lot of this reminds me quite strongly of David Holmes' 'The Holy Picures', certainly when Richard fearless tries to sing in that speaky-breathless way that Holmes did. And they also both sound like they were written with Bobby Gillespie in mind. Haven't played the remix disc 2 yet.

Word Of Mouth: The Very Best Of - John Cooper Clarke

Wilder - The Teardrop Explodes.

What's Going On - Marvin Gaye.
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index