Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 6 November 2011 CE
Nov 07, 2011, 17:39
keith a wrote:

Freedom – Neil Young
I’m more of a casual Neil Young admirer than some massive dyed-in-the-wool fan, but I really enjoyed watching that documentary on BBC 4 recently, so I dug this out. The most famous track is probably Rocking In The Free World which is OK, but a bit too obvious IMO. The highlight for me is Don’t Cry, the reason I bought this album in the first place after hearing it on Peel. Still sounds fab.

Also...

Black Secret Technology - A Guy Called Gerald

Me too. Bit of an ornery cuss really ain't he? But then you hear the songs and forgive a lot! I love the Ragged Glory album I must say.

ps Love that Gerald album. One of the first full drum n bass albums too.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Nov 07, 2011, 18:37
Sin Agog wrote:

+ Usual grab bag of chanson/rockabilly/garage/psyche/disco/vocal jazz/drone/dodgy pop stoof

Another night in with X-Factor eh? ;^)
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Edited Nov 07, 2011, 18:49
Nov 07, 2011, 18:48
Really enjoyed the recent Creation Records documentary on BBC4 so that's been a bit of an influence this week, er, pretty obvious choices, mind...

MBV - Isn't Anything + associated EP's - probably in the minority but i prefer these to the much lauded Loveless.

PRIMAL SCREAM - Screamadelica / XTRMNTR

JAMC - Psychocandy / Honey's Dead ( expanded ) - Recent 2CD+DVD reissues at a tenner a pop. Pink Floyd take note !

THE TELESCOPES - Taste

Should also mention the excellent Neil Young overview doc shown the previous week, don't think i've ever seen an interview with Neil before, gotta say i found him very easy to warm to and not at all evasive as expected..

Otherwise...

SERGE GAINSBOURG - Histoire de Melody Nelson - only became aware of this classic a few years back, there's hardly a wasted note on it. Looking forward to the impending arrival of the expanded edition.

JANE WEAVER SEPTIEME SOEUR- The Watchbird Alluminate - Excellent companion piece to the original release.

BLACK ANGELS - Phosphene Dream - A cool cocktail of fuzz and reverb and the past and the now.

PSYCHIC ILLS - Hazed Dream - Methinks they've got a few S3 and BRMC records in their collections !

MASTER MUSICIANS OF BUKKAKE - Totem 1 / Totem 3 - like Squid, i've struggled with the name but must say the music really is worth hearing. Can't say they put me in mind of anyone else either and that's always a good thing

MAKE DO & MEND 6 - Belle & Sebastian

And quite a bit of stuff in the 'in' tray that i haven't found the time to listen to as yet, probably time for another buying moratorium then.

Have a great week everyone,

Mark x
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Nov 07, 2011, 19:10
Nov 07, 2011, 18:50
IanB wrote:
The Hunter - Mastodon
Got to give thanks and praise to Mooncat for this one. Not at all my usual cuppa (far from it) but listening to them doing their thing with so much grace, power, inventiveness and sheer chutzpah makes it impossible not to really enjoy this record. The musical equivalent of watching the handball in the Olympics.

I'm v glad you like it 'cos I love 'em and this is yet another step forward for them I think. Certainly, in the increasingly broad church that is modern metal, they've carved a path pretty much of their own that manages to be of and transcend at the same time. Something as riffy and chunky as "The Curl of the Burl" managing to comfortably co-exist with the melancholic metal-free majesty of "Creature Lives" and still sound like part of a cohesive whole album; that's good work!
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Nov 07, 2011, 18:57
bubblehead2 wrote:

MBV - Isn't Anything + associated EP's - probably in the minority but i prefer these to the much lauded Loveless.

x

I'm in agreement with you.
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Nov 07, 2011, 19:03
Duly noted. Maybe not the easiest record to get hold of though ?

Shall investigate later, and as always, thanks for the heads-up
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Nov 07, 2011, 19:15
Moon Cat wrote:
bubblehead2 wrote:

x

I'm in agreement with you.

Has that got Soft As Snow on it? In which case, yes. Their finest moment IMO
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Nov 07, 2011, 19:19
Lots of Zappa and some classical and folk even!

FZ "Laether" (his best of the 70's?)

FZ "Ahead of their time"

FZ "Yellow Shark"

FZ "London Symphony Orchestra vol. 1"

Jack Nitzche also with LSO "St. Giles Cripplegate"

Camarata Contemporary Chamber Group "The Velvet Gentleman: Music of Erik Satie" (not nearly as moogy as I hoped, but interesting.)

Pentangle "Cruel Sister"

King Crimson "USA"

King Crimson "Larks Tongues"
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Edited Nov 07, 2011, 19:46
Nov 07, 2011, 19:26
I keep getting tempted by this then shying away again! I spent far too much on the double live vinyl by Mastadon that was on sale on Record Shop Day and thought that although it is OK it didn't quite cut it as a double live album, so feel a bit reluctant to lash out more on them. Need to try to get to hear before I buy I think. I should also re-listen to the live one.

Edit: just put the live one on good and loud, and, whadya know? I'm thoroughly enjoying it!
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Nov 07, 2011, 19:29
Isn't Anything is every bit as ground breaking as Loveless* IMO, hearing You Made Me Realise for the first time was one of those OMFG musical moments for me !

* hats off to Radio 6 for playing Only Shallow at lunchtime the other week, it made me feel quite woozy.
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index