Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 9 October 2011 CE

47 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Oct 09, 2011, 17:24
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 9 October 2011 CE
Oct 09, 2011, 16:15
Jostling for earspace in the catpod this week...

Opeth - Heritage. A sumptuous thing.

Eric Dolphy - Out There, Outward Bound, Out to Lunch & Stockholm Sessions. Got the first two on one of those double disc sets they do in Fopp and thanks to the dude that is IanB, the other two beamed through the jazz ether with modern magicks. Wonderful stuff merging trad and modern styles in to a melodious but challenging whole. Lots to sink yer teeth into but also works as a nice thing to play whilst potterng about. Tres groovy and I love the control on display during some of the more frenetc bits. Great!!

Steve Lacy -The Straight Horn of....(thanbks again Ian!). Er...see above really! V good!

Zola Jesus - Stridullum II. Kinda electro gothery (althogh like all gothically inclind artists the G word might give her palpitations). Vi nice and atmos heavy although she doesn't scale the heights of Bat For Lashes in the ploughing of a not-completely-dissimlar albeit more electronic furrow.

Arch Enemy - Wrath of the Tyrant. Shred loads!
Firewind - Alleigance

Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales and Into The Pandemonium. Weirdly, Tom G Warriors 'death grunts' sound not unlike Rob Brydon's Tom Jones 'cough'. Huargh! Great stuff!

The Black Ships - Kerofune EP. Good stuff!

Beethoven - Best of... V nice, but I don't think he actually plays on this, which is bit of a swizz.

Roger Waters - Amused to Death. Enjoyed this more than I thought I would to be honest. Not familiar with much of his solo stuff after the Final Cut made me want to shoot puppies in the face.

Get The Blessing - Bugs in Amber. Excellent 2nd album from band comprised of Portishead and Stonephace alumni. Modern, beat heavy jazz n rock melange. Brill live too! (top serendipitous £1 sniff too!)

Chick Corea & Return to Forever - Light as a Feather. V nice and v different from the 'definitive' RTF lineup although some of the proggier tinged elements point the way to later things.

Curmudgeon - BAH!

Roland Chadwick & The English Chamber Orchestra - The Revealing. Annoyingly talented multi-stringist mixes folk, country and acoustic rock pluckage with a very nice orchestral background. Quite filmic in parts.

Have a nice week sound sniffers x
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index