Albums

Eternal Tapestry & Sun Araw - Night Gallery
Patti Smith - Outside Society
VA - Demdike Stare Supports Finders Keepers: Make Do & Mend Vol. 2
VA - David Holmes Supports Finders Keepers: Make Do & Mend Vol. 3
VA - Gruff Rhys Supports Finders Keepers: Make Do & Mend Vol. 4
Paul McCartney - McCartney II
Zola Jesus - Conatus
Kammerflimmer Kollektief - Wildling (recommended)
VA - MGMT Late Night Tales
Judas Priest - Single Cuts
Pink Floyd - A Saucerful of Secrets
Weird Owl - Build Your Beast A Fire
Nirvana - Nevermind
Ben Sommers - Avocado Chip (recommended)
Exitmusic - From Silence EP
Death in Vegas - Trans Love Energies
DJ Shadow - The Less You Know, The Better
Five Finger Death Punch - American Capitalist
Highway Child - On The Old Kings Road
Kemper Norton - Lowender EP
Opeth - Heritage
Psychic Ills - Hazed Dream (recommended)
The Chasms - Alchemical Postcards
Willis - The Night Time EP

Tracks

Alt-J ∆ - Tessellate
Pink Floyd - The Nile Song
Veronica Falls - Found Love in a Graveyard
The Chills - Pink Frost
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Oct 09, 2011, 09:34
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 9 October 2011 CE
Oct 09, 2011, 09:29
Syd Barrett: Wouldn't You Miss Me (comp)
The Waterboys: An Appointment With Mr Yeats
Three Score And Ten: Topic Records Anthology

Bert Jansch:

Jack Orion
Birthday Blues
Rosemary Lane
Moonshine
Avocet
The Ornament Tree
When The Circus Comes To Town
Toy Balloon
Crimson Moon
The Black Swan
Fresh As A Sweet Sunday Morning (live)
Dazzling Stranger (comp): various

Pentangle:

Pentangle, Basket Of Light, Sweet Child, Cruel Sister, Reflections, Solomon's Seal

(also various tracks re. assembling my new acoustic/vocal set list)

DVD: George Harrison: Living In the Material World (Martin Scorsese)
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 09, 2011, 10:50
Oct 09, 2011, 10:25
Unlikely favourite of the week

Elkie Brooks - Two Days Away
Not surprising if a lot of people missed out on this one given that it came out at the height of Punk. My Mum, a big Cleo Laine fan, had it and I secretly loved hearing it through the walls. Played it this week (an old cdr rip from the vinyl) for the first time in a long time. First thing to say for is that this is the first album where Brooks abanonded her Grace Slick influenced vocal style that she developed with Vinegar Joe (who I thought were a bit ordinary tbh though I love "Black Smoke Rising From The Calumet"). Instead she goes for something in terms of singing style that sounds more like Janis / Aretha, or more accurately Ann Peebles and perhaps Dusty under the influence of pre war Jazz. A real old time 40-a-day voice. The great Lieber and Stoller write and produce and you can really hear that experience of working with people like Peggy Lee, Elvis and Ben E King. The Brill Building approach to classic pop song writing is to the fore. That said it sounds a lot more like Memphis than New York and the first tune almost resolves into a fully fledged Parliament type groove though stops just short. The hit single was over-exposed and a bit mawkish but for me this is one of the last really great pre-digital soul albums. The vocal on "Honey Can I Put On Your Clothes" in particular is stunning and is a song awash with harps, which is no bad thing, and when she goes for more of a Diana Ross mid tempo pop soul thing on "Sunshine After The Rain" it's bang on. Adelle and Joss Stone could do with checking it out and having a rethink. For a 1977 release it is refereshing that it displays no more than the slightest nod to Disco though there is a bit of cod reggae to circumnavigate. It's great strength is the total disdain for hipness. As Cannonball Adderley would say "you don't decide you're hip, it's a fact of life". Highly recommended for old school Soul fans looking for something new to listen to. Gripes? Too much top on the bloody bass!

They also served ....

I'm Not There - OST
Alice Coltrane - A Monastic Trio
Hal Wilner et al - Lost In The Stars
Lou Reed - Take No Prisoners
Television - Marquee Moon
Stevie Wonder - Songs In The Key Of Life
NY Dolls - Too Much Too Soon
Lou Reed - Rock n Roll Animal
Peter Gabriel - 3
Eric Dolphy - Out There
John Coltrane - Stellar Regions
Shelby Lynne - Revelation Road
Linda Ronstadt & Ann Savoy - Adieu Dear Heart
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Oct 09, 2011, 10:46
Pink Floyd 'Obscured By Clouds' - wherein Floyd get all heavy metal and seem to be having a right good time in the process. Sounds great in its latest remastering;

Isotope 'Isotope' - coming across like a second division Mahavishnu Orchestra in places, but with enough heart within its jazz-rock grooves to leave a smile on the face;

Man 'Call Down The Moon' - one of Man's lesser-known later records, more piano-dominated than usual, but with Deke and Micky on great form too. I've been singing 'Heaven and Hell' all week;

Mick Ronson 'Slaughter On Tenth Avenue' and 'Play Don't Worry' - patchy first solo efforts from the then recently-dumped Spider from Mars, but when good, very very good in a Ziggy-outtake sort of way. Makes you realise just how much of 'Ziggy Stardust's' unique sound world was down to Ronno rather than Bowie, even though the songwriting and singing aren't in the same league here;

Aereogramme 'Sleep & Release' - sophomore full-lengther from Scotland's most missed post-rock combo. I love the shocking contrast between Craig B's heartfelt crooning and grindcore grunting here;

Neil Cowley Trio 'Loud, Louder, Stop' - irresistible modern jazz grooves sounding both traditional and groundbreaking at the same time. I love this;

Ian Gillan Band 'Clear Air Turbulence' - severely dated, but interesting, diversion into alien waters by a then directionless ex-Purple vocalist. This is one of those records that I know I shouldn't like, but seem to like anyway. Maybe that says more about me than Ian Gillan;

Also gave myself a little Kurt Sanderling memorial night: Haydn Symphony no.87, Beethoven Piano Concerto no.1 (with Mitsuko Ushida), Sibelius Symphony no.6 and Rachmaninov Symphony no.2. Solid, severely Teutonic performances with weight and impact. RIP.

And that's me for the week. Enjoy the coming seven days, fellow music-diggers.

Dave
keith a
9573 posts

Oct 09, 2011, 11:18
IanB wrote:
Unlikely favourite of the week

Elkie Brooks - Two Days Away
Not surprising if a lot of people missed out on this one given that it came out at the height of Punk. My Mum, a big Cleo Laine fan, had it and I secretly loved hearing it through the walls. Played it this week (an old cdr rip from the vinyl) for the first time in a long time. First thing to say for is that this is the first album where Brooks abanonded her Grace Slick influenced vocal style that she developed with Vinegar Joe (who I thought were a bit ordinary tbh though I love "Black Smoke Rising From The Calumet"). Instead she goes for something in terms of singing style that sounds more like Janis / Aretha, or more accurately Ann Peebles and perhaps Dusty under the influence of pre war Jazz. A real old time 40-a-day voice. The great Lieber and Stoller write and produce and you can really hear that experience of working with people like Peggy Lee, Elvis and Ben E King. The Brill Building approach to classic pop song writing is to the fore. That said it sounds a lot more like Memphis than New York and the first tune almost resolves into a fully fledged Parliament type groove though stops just short. The hit single was over-exposed and a bit mawkish but for me this is one of the last really great pre-digital soul albums. The vocal on "Honey Can I Put On Your Clothes" in particular is stunning and is a song awash with harps, which is no bad thing, and when she goes for more of a Diana Ross mid tempo pop soul thing on "Sunshine After The Rain" it's bang on. Adelle and Joss Stone could do with checking it out and having a rethink. For a 1977 release it is refereshing that it displays no more than the slightest nod to Disco though there is a bit of cod reggae to circumnavigate. It's great strength is the total disdain for hipness. As Cannonball Adderley would say "you don't decide you're hip, it's a fact of life". Highly recommended for old school Soul fans looking for something new to listen to. Gripes? Too much top on the bloody bass!

Blimey. Not heard that in YEARS! My girlfriend of the time had that album so I knew it well back then. I don't think I'd particularly liked Pearl... as a single, thinking the gravel was a touch over-done, but I didn't mind the album at all. Just played Sunshine... on youtube. Still sounds good!
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2557 posts

Oct 09, 2011, 13:09
Most Scottish schools had some time listening to the new Waterboys album as part of a poetry exercise. Good idea. We see Mike Scott a lot in this area, good guy.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Oct 09, 2011, 13:24
tjj did a post about that on FB. Top chap, inspiring children with music and poetry. Mind you, he is a fellow Celt, Drew.... ;-)
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2557 posts

Oct 09, 2011, 13:36
The Sea Cat wrote:
tjj did a post about that on FB. Top chap, inspiring children with music and poetry. Mind you, he is a fellow Celt, Drew.... ;-)

In more ways than one! We did the poetry thing in a couple schools that I work in as well. I brought some of the other Waterboys stuff as well so hopefully mums and dads will be being pestered to buy an album or two. Funnily enough I accidentally played tracks by a couple of other Scottish bands I quite like.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Oct 09, 2011, 13:44
drewbhoy wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:

In more ways than one! We did the poetry thing in a couple schools that I work in as well. I brought some of the other Waterboys stuff as well so hopefully mums and dads will be being pestered to buy an album or two. Funnily enough I accidentally played tracks by a couple of other Scottish bands I quite like.

Careful now Drew. Folk may get the wrong imprsession. I mean, I know how easy it is for your Simple Minds and Glasvegas cds to accidentally fall out their cases and get themselves played amongst a bunch of Waterboys tracks. It could happen to anyone who strokes white persian cats and plans to take over the world by subliminally hypnostising an entire generation of Scottish children to rise up and do his evil bidding upon hearing certain tracks by Simple Minds and Glasvegas that act as unconscious triggers. It could happen to anyone....
Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index