Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 9 October 2011 CE

47 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 9 October 2011 CE
Oct 09, 2011, 10:46
Pink Floyd 'Obscured By Clouds' - wherein Floyd get all heavy metal and seem to be having a right good time in the process. Sounds great in its latest remastering;

Isotope 'Isotope' - coming across like a second division Mahavishnu Orchestra in places, but with enough heart within its jazz-rock grooves to leave a smile on the face;

Man 'Call Down The Moon' - one of Man's lesser-known later records, more piano-dominated than usual, but with Deke and Micky on great form too. I've been singing 'Heaven and Hell' all week;

Mick Ronson 'Slaughter On Tenth Avenue' and 'Play Don't Worry' - patchy first solo efforts from the then recently-dumped Spider from Mars, but when good, very very good in a Ziggy-outtake sort of way. Makes you realise just how much of 'Ziggy Stardust's' unique sound world was down to Ronno rather than Bowie, even though the songwriting and singing aren't in the same league here;

Aereogramme 'Sleep & Release' - sophomore full-lengther from Scotland's most missed post-rock combo. I love the shocking contrast between Craig B's heartfelt crooning and grindcore grunting here;

Neil Cowley Trio 'Loud, Louder, Stop' - irresistible modern jazz grooves sounding both traditional and groundbreaking at the same time. I love this;

Ian Gillan Band 'Clear Air Turbulence' - severely dated, but interesting, diversion into alien waters by a then directionless ex-Purple vocalist. This is one of those records that I know I shouldn't like, but seem to like anyway. Maybe that says more about me than Ian Gillan;

Also gave myself a little Kurt Sanderling memorial night: Haydn Symphony no.87, Beethoven Piano Concerto no.1 (with Mitsuko Ushida), Sibelius Symphony no.6 and Rachmaninov Symphony no.2. Solid, severely Teutonic performances with weight and impact. RIP.

And that's me for the week. Enjoy the coming seven days, fellow music-diggers.

Dave
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index