6761 posts

Edited Oct 09, 2011, 15:48
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 9 October 2011 CE
Oct 09, 2011, 15:47
keith a wrote:
IanB wrote:
Unlikely favourite of the week

Elkie Brooks - Two Days Away
Not surprising if a lot of people missed out on this one given that it came out at the height of Punk. My Mum, a big Cleo Laine fan, had it and I secretly loved hearing it through the walls. Played it this week (an old cdr rip from the vinyl) for the first time in a long time. First thing to say for is that this is the first album where Brooks abanonded her Grace Slick influenced vocal style that she developed with Vinegar Joe (who I thought were a bit ordinary tbh though I love "Black Smoke Rising From The Calumet"). Instead she goes for something in terms of singing style that sounds more like Janis / Aretha, or more accurately Ann Peebles and perhaps Dusty under the influence of pre war Jazz. A real old time 40-a-day voice. The great Lieber and Stoller write and produce and you can really hear that experience of working with people like Peggy Lee, Elvis and Ben E King. The Brill Building approach to classic pop song writing is to the fore. That said it sounds a lot more like Memphis than New York and the first tune almost resolves into a fully fledged Parliament type groove though stops just short. The hit single was over-exposed and a bit mawkish but for me this is one of the last really great pre-digital soul albums. The vocal on "Honey Can I Put On Your Clothes" in particular is stunning and is a song awash with harps, which is no bad thing, and when she goes for more of a Diana Ross mid tempo pop soul thing on "Sunshine After The Rain" it's bang on. Adelle and Joss Stone could do with checking it out and having a rethink. For a 1977 release it is refereshing that it displays no more than the slightest nod to Disco though there is a bit of cod reggae to circumnavigate. It's great strength is the total disdain for hipness. As Cannonball Adderley would say "you don't decide you're hip, it's a fact of life". Highly recommended for old school Soul fans looking for something new to listen to. Gripes? Too much top on the bloody bass!

Blimey. Not heard that in YEARS! My girlfriend of the time had that album so I knew it well back then. I don't think I'd particularly liked Pearl... as a single, thinking the gravel was a touch over-done, but I didn't mind the album at all. Just played Sunshine... on youtube. Still sounds good!

It does. Playing the album again was a revelation. Certainly stands up next to the good Bonnie Raitt records. No idea what happened to her creatively after this record. I guess the 80s got her. Though not as well/badly as Robert Palmer I'd wager!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index