52 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9573 posts

Edited Sep 26, 2011, 17:02
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 25 September 2011 CE
Sep 25, 2011, 22:39
Orcadia – Black Sheep VC
I’ve had this a month or so but have only now summoned up the effort to listen to it after the comments here. The chances of a 2nd play are minimal I would have thought.

A Paw Of Fur, An Air Of Doom – Marc Bolan / T.Rex
Great Hits From The Box (When I Need TV I Got T.Rex Vol 1) - Marc Bolan / T.Rex
The 1st is a right mixed bag that I bought back in the 90’s – rarities, demo’s, previously unreleased tracks, etc, whilst the 2nd is audio versions of T.Rex telly performances.

Love Bites – Buzzcocks
I had a real urge to play this. Not as good as their debut but there’s some good songs all the same.

Abattoir Blues / The Lyre Of Orpheus - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
So many great NC tracks here. Easy Money is a real fave of mine.

Dead Legs & Alibi’s - Dark Captain Light Captain
It must be three years since the DCLC debut LP, but finally they’re back. If I’m honest I was hoping that they’d venture into a more Can-like direction hinted at on one of the remixes they released in 2009, but they seemed to have gone for more of the same - quality songs, hushed vocals and harmonies. Still, I’m not complaining – they’re one of the best new acts of recent years for me and I’m looking forward to getting to know these songs better.

Satan’s Circus – Death In Vegas
Something of a latterday classic IMO.

Head On - Die Haut
This passed me by at the time, but I bought it cos Alan Vega is on it – as are Kim Gordon, Lydia Lunch, Blixa Bargeld. Hilite on 1st play, however, was the one with Jeffrey Lee Pierce on vocals.

Shangri L.A. – High Wolf
There are a couple of seriously good tracks here. If Sun Araw are a dream you want to remember this might be the nightmare you want to forget. But in a good way!

Album – PIL
Is it just me or is this album somewhat forgotten these days? I seem to recall that this got the best reviews PIL had got since Metal Box – and quite rightly, too. It sounded great then and it still does today. Probably the nearest I’ll ever get to liking metal, but there’s something there that sets it apart and I don’t just mean Lydon’s voice. Imagination probably!

Pet Projects: The Brian Wilson Productions - V/A
2nd week on the trot for this one. Some great tracks such as Pamela Jean by The Survivors. Well worth checking out if you like the early Beach Boys stuff.

Also...
The Crooked Debut Of... - Michele Bombatomica
Odin – Julian Cope
This Nation's Saving Grace – The Fall
Keep On Your Mean Side – The Kills
Oracular Spectacular – MGMT
Treats - Sleigh Bells
The Eternal – Sonic Youth
Seeing For Miles (Uncut 2009) - V/A
Uncut 2009/08: Woke Up This Morning – V/A
Road to Duat – V/A
Topic Outline: