52 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FifePsy
FifePsy
540 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 25 September 2011 CE
Sep 25, 2011, 22:29
Julia Holter - Tragedy

This has received a lot of playtime this week. Alerted to it by the good folks at Boomkat who describe it a lot better than I could:

"Quite honestly one of the best albums of any description you'll hear in 2011... Julia Holter is one of the most singular female artists we've encountered from the current groundswell of American indies. Leaving Records is possibly an unusual home for her latest, but then again, what's "usual" about Sun Araw, Matthewdavid or Dem Hunger? Her high concept fifth release, 'Tragedy' is based on the Ancient Greek play 'Hippolytus', and mixes elements of synth work with droning neo-classical strings, cloud-like ambience and dreamily surreal vocals, almost like an amalgam of Robert Ashley, Maria Minerva and Laurie Anderson. There's very little else out there right now with this sort of ambition, and most importantly, such a shockingly effective sense of wonder. A stunning, stunning album and an absolute must regardless of the kind of music you usually listen to".

I'm not quite up to that level of enthusiasm (yet!) but each listen increases the rewards. Also like how it has to be listened as a whole. Pointless to dip into it.

Others:
Blue Oyster Cult - Secret Treaties (Thanks for all the comments on the thread this week. Picked up one of those cheap five album boxes in Fopp which has this in it).
Mogwai - Earth Division
Mark Hollis - s/t
David Sylvian - Died in the Wool
Barn Owl - The Conjurer
John Coltrane and Don Cherry - The Avant Garde
Don Cherry - Hear and Now
Dantalian's Chariot - Chariot Rising
Sleep Research Facility - Deep Frieze
Steve Reich - Different Trains
Sparks - Kimono My House
Bob Blank - The Blank Generation, Blank Tapes NYC 1975 - 1987.

Have a great week all.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index