Unsung Forum »
The Gibson SG

Pages: 7 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Kid Calamity
9047 posts

The Gibson SG
Sep 11, 2011, 15:40
An odd guitar. A bit of a cult in its own right, really. Favoured by many maverick guitarists, but never the mainstream elite. Well, not as a longterm axe of choice, at least. I mean, all the guitar heroes have been photographed with one at some point, but only... well, it's almost like they're trying to say "Look, I am a bit edgy and gutter level, really - despite being in Led Zeppelin".

Who's got one? Why do you like it over others?

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/profile_mojo_data/9/8/8/3/988386/pics/_c848664_image_0.jpg
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Re: The Gibson SG
Sep 11, 2011, 16:28
I classify Angus Young as pretty mainstream, and he plays little else. But yeah, I suppose it is a cultish axe compared to the mighty Strat, Tele or Paul. A great riffing axe, methinks, but always a tad overpriced IMHO.

I've never owned one, but I'd sure like to - a cherry red Junior would do me just fine. I remember lusting after Noddy Holder's SG as a teenager and wanting that particular model more than any other. But when I finally came to getting a decent guitar, I plumped for a Strat, then a Tele. Always been a Fender man, me.
Kid Calamity
9047 posts

Sep 11, 2011, 16:39
Fitter Stoke wrote:
I classify Angus Young as pretty mainstream, and he plays little else. But yeah, I suppose it is a cultish axe compared to the mighty Strat, Tele or Paul. A great riffing axe, methinks, but always a tad overpriced IMHO.

I've never owned one, but I'd sure like to - a cherry red Junior would do me just fine. I remember lusting after Noddy Holder's SG as a teenager and wanting that particular model more than any other. But when I finally came to getting a decent guitar, I plumped for a Strat, then a Tele. Always been a Fender man, me.

It's like all the mechanics at the garage have nice pristine Snap-On tools in a big red box - but the SG is the grubby hammer which certain shifty looking grease-monkeys use to get the job done. Effectively, I'll grant you... Be it noisily and with sweaty brute force.
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Edited Sep 11, 2011, 16:51
Sep 11, 2011, 16:45
compared to the dominance of the Les Paul
it is lighter, more affordable, and less ubiquitous
but Gracia, Santana, Townshend, Iommi, Young, etc.,
gave it a prominent profile

Muaraders, Nighthawks, Explorers, Firebirds,
even the Flying V might be better 'cult' guitars
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

Sep 11, 2011, 17:52
Frank loved his SG's, although granted he did have them slightly modified for sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cPg7z1pclA&feature=related
Kid Calamity
9047 posts

Edited Sep 11, 2011, 17:56
Sep 11, 2011, 17:55
Zappa! Of course. The original Alice Cooper band used them in their early days, too.

Bolan had one in the John's Children days, too.
bolox
bolox
311 posts

Sep 11, 2011, 18:00
SG with P90s, there's none better - see (or hear) The Who Live At Leeds especially that new version which has the next night in Hull as well.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Sep 11, 2011, 18:27
The 'BMW' of Guitars, and just as irritating. Most people who play them have exactly the same lack of musical road manners.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Sep 11, 2011, 18:29
bolox wrote:
SG with P90s, there's none better - see (or hear) The Who Live At Leeds especially that new version which has the next night in Hull as well.

Apart from Pete, obviously......

(ahem)
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Sep 11, 2011, 18:31
Gibson makes the best guitars. If I could afford one, I would play an SG or a Les Paul!

Probably culty because they are the best and not cheap (like Fenders.)
Pages: 7 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index