redfish365
710 posts

Re: The Gibson SG
Sep 12, 2011, 01:25
sakedelic wrote:
The most eloquent argument for the SG I know:

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/albumofthemonth/991/

Goddamn!
That review has me itching to pull out my copy of Population 2 (which Ima gonna do as soon as I hit the "add reply" button.)
I wanted to add that I've a goal to buy an SG and have been close a few times - damned close.
Two problems though, they are costly and, as a lefty nobody ever has a lefty model on hand.
I flirted with the idea of getting the Epiphone knockoff which is roughly half the price but they just don't do it for me. Now I'm no guitar player... having last owned a Westbury electric (with dual DiMarzio pickups!) back around 1984 but I do have a strong desire to learn... but ONLY on a Gibson SG (a left-handed model) that's either red or black... and ALL mine.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Sep 12, 2011, 01:52
The Sea Cat wrote:
The 'BMW' of Guitars, and just as irritating. Most people who play them have exactly the same lack of musical road manners.

Plop.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Sep 13, 2011, 00:12
Sep 12, 2011, 02:03
I think it's lovely too look at and has been played by people I like a lot.
Let's face it, it's a metal guitar in concept before there was such a thing as metal.

Mr Squid/Black Tempest of this parish has a beautiful SG which he was kind enough to let me have a go on and, by all the Moons of Munopoor, you really do feel like your license to rock has just been given a gold stamp when you drape it on your shoulders.

I'm not a muso muso as such, far from it - I just think they look and sound luvly and would be delighted to the point of haemorrhage to own one
Cheema Deepinder
Cheema Deepinder
46 posts

Edited Sep 12, 2011, 02:18
Sep 12, 2011, 02:16
Dog 3000 wrote:
I believe this guy also usually played an SG (though he doesn't strap it on til a couple minutes into this clip.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFIMWRXWY90

Meanwhile Belew is playing a Fender in the Hendrix style -- this is a pretty good comparison of how the two major brands sound.

In a way you are right, although the g'tar is not an SG, but I think a replica built and sold to him by a fan it shows what great raw material the shape is. The sound comes from the special electric green ringer wizardry installed by FZ which then control the amps, wheras now his son uses a stock SG and creates the sounds from all the devices between the g'tar and the PA. Here is a very nice "Z G" replica of that replica(I think) tasty.

http://www.phantom-guitars.de/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=115
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Sep 12, 2011, 09:43
The Sea Cat wrote:
The 'BMW' of Guitars, and just as irritating. Most people who play them have exactly the same lack of musical road manners.

Buggroff, that's me you're talking to. SG = a thing of beauty and noise. A masterpiece of guitar design. Especially in cherry red.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Sep 12, 2011, 09:48
Moon Cat wrote:
I think it's lovely too look at and has been played by people I like a lot.
Let's face it, it's a metal guitar in concept before there was such a thing as metal.

Mr Squid/Black Tempest of this parish has a beautiful SG which he was kind enough to let me have a go on and, by all the Moons of Munopoor, you really do feel like your license to rock has just been given a gold stamp when you drape it on your shoulders.

I'm not a muso muso as such, far from it - I just think they look and sound luvly and would be delighted to the point of haemorrhage to own one

8-)
spacecat
57 posts

Sep 12, 2011, 12:08
Once owned one but god knows why I bought it as I never liked the look of them and it always sounded crap (although there's a slight possibility that just could have been my playing ability!).

The only other Gibson I owned was a beautiful Gibson Epiphone (like Lennon used on the roof) which I regret parting with.
riotmaster
1563 posts

Sep 12, 2011, 14:28
The GREATEST guitar of all time. Nuff said
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Sep 12, 2011, 15:41
Oh yes! I'm definitely a strat/telecaster man when it comes to the electric, plus the rick and the gretsch. However, being a acoustic player, this is what I play:

http://www.perthmusicshop.com.au/374-285-thickbox/lag-electro-acoustic-summer-parlour-guitar.jpg
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Sep 12, 2011, 15:42
Squid Tempest wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:

Buggroff, that's me you're talking to. SG = a thing of beauty and noise. A masterpiece of guitar design. Especially in cherry red.

Sorry Squid! I had the vapours.
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index