Favourite Record Sleeve?

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Re: Favourite Record Sleeve?
May 24, 2011, 00:11
The Stooges - Fun House. Always seemed perfect.

Judas Priest - Sin After Sin.

Toe Fat - 1 or 2. What the fuck were they thinking? I still don't like to go near them. God know's what they sound like.
keith a
9572 posts

May 24, 2011, 00:49
Monganaut wrote:
He only caught me cos I was wearing the 'tash.

Brilliant!
Moon Cat
9577 posts

May 24, 2011, 00:51
Robot Emperor wrote:
The Stooges - Fun House. Always seemed perfect.

Judas Priest - Sin After Sin.

Toe Fat - 1 or 2. What the fuck were they thinking? I still don't like to go near them. God know's what they sound like.

Also Judas Priest, "Sad Wings of Destiny"? Pre-propa-metal-but-still-pretty-metal-actually-it is quite pretty-metal-metal.

Titus Groan - Jason King via Primark alikes have a cheese and wine evening for the inner sleeve and then blow whats left of the budget on a two colour print of some medieaval grotesque and a twirly logo....And it's totally great!
haffi
haffi
39 posts

May 24, 2011, 01:22
Without a doubt the most striking and memorable album cover in my mind is-David Bowie's "Aladdin Sane" by Brian Duffy.
Of course there are many other,Alice´s School's Out-Jethro Tull's Stand Up-The Beatles' Sgt.Pepper,etc...........
Monganaut
Monganaut
2373 posts

Edited May 24, 2011, 01:41
May 24, 2011, 01:38
And how could i forget 'Raw Power', Now there's an Iconic image.

A few others that come to mind too.

The Glove - Blue Sunshine
Primal Scream - Screamadelica
Floyd - Relics
Eno - Tiger Mountain
Braindonor - Love Peace and Fuck
PiL - Album, Cassette, whatever other format it was released on

I'll stop now or I'll go on forever.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

May 24, 2011, 05:16
Robot Emperor wrote:

Sounds like proto-Uriah Heep, kinda. Those are legendary awful album covers!

I think this next one (also very hideous) probably inspired the "shark/shit sandwich" joke in Spinal Tap:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_O6bhunyzYB4/SwmIf8yfg0I/AAAAAAAAAHU/ujwGBPRblTE/s1600/Black+Cat+Bones+-+Barbed+Wire+Sandwich+-+Front.jpg
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

May 24, 2011, 09:16
Debaser wrote:
Ones that got me into trouble – i.e. touching big sis’s album collection

Small Faces –Ogden’s Nut whatsit
Who’s Quadrophenia Live at Leeds (oooh wasn’t it naughty them men widdling) and the film score of Tommy
Mothers of Invention – the one about weasels

And ones I’m allowed to touch because they were/are mine!

Clash – London’s Calling
Pixies – Surfer Rosa
Killing Joke’s first album
Alice Cooper’s Billion Dollar Babies

Alice had some great covers, didn't he? KC already mentioned Schools Out, and you've mentioned Billion Dollar Babies. Love It To Death had a great cover, espesh the inside gatefold close up of the eyes, and Killer was really rather top too (love the ghastly colour).
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

May 24, 2011, 09:35
Squid Tempest wrote:
IanB wrote:
Roger Dean's early work (up to Relayer and Yesterdays) still does it for me. Especially Yessongs.

King Crimson's USA - no idea who designed it but it's a fabulous piece of futuristic rock n roll iconography.

Santana's Lotus - again no idea who designed it but the Japanese fold-out vinyl version was a joy to behold.

Houses of the Holy with the belly band was the visual definition of mysterious in 1973.

Hipgnosis have a great catalogue but the vinyl Wish You Were Here in the black shrink wrap was genius and the images within as enigmatic as the music. Hard to explain how "other" that album sounded when it came out. Talk about a piece of design capturing the spirit of the musical contents. I also love Animals. The flying pig stunt was stupid but the photos of Battersea Power Station are a great postcard from dirty old London just before Thatcher and Livingstone started to fight over its soul. A fight that is still going on in many ways.

The Pop Group's "Y" cover (with the poster) was a genius mixture of Fine Art, Punk collage and reportage.

You've got to have something with a great live photo so the original gold version of Made In Japan wins that one for me.

Finally I have to admit a huge soft spot for a fairly straight ahead Hard Bop record called Art Pepper and the Rhythm Section. Which teamed Miles' core band (Garland / Jones / Chambers) with the west coast alto player who was in somewhat reduced circumstances at the time but pulls out a killer set of performances. In design terms it is almost kitsch but back in 1980 I really wanted the jacket and shirt Art wears on the cover shot. For a man clinging to the wreckage of his life and career he looks supremely chilled.

Some great choices there Ian - I particularly the USA cover. Your mention of a "Live band" picture made me jump laterally to Blue Oyster Cult's On Your Feet or On Your Knees. Tyranny and Mutation and their 1st album were good covers too.

I did think about "On Your Feet" but decided to stick with the stuff that has "could-hang-it-on-your-wall" factor. The early BOC covers are great too.
keith a
9572 posts

May 24, 2011, 09:44
Where to start...

Artists on the cover...

Rubber Soul
The Slider
The Ramones
Raw Power
Fried
Damned Damned Damned
Heaven Up Here
Psychocandy
Propaganda

Others
Kilimanjaro (2nd version)
Velvet Underground & Nico
Sticky Fingers
Metal Box
Never Mind The Bollocks
Real Life
Octopus
Strange Days
mercian
mercian
302 posts

May 24, 2011, 10:04
I first thought of the Wailers Catch a Fire, the Zippo one. But then remembered there was humdreds of fine Jamaican album sleeves. Cartoons, street scene photos and sticky herb photos. Some lovely art work here.

http://www.crestock.com/blog/design/42-reggae-album-cover-designs-the-art-culture-of-jamaica-166.aspx
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index