Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Re: Favourite Record Sleeve?
May 24, 2011, 22:09
mojojojo wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
Can I just say thanks to KC for this thread.

You sound like you've won the thread award and are doing your acceptance speech!

x

You're so kind, I'll never forget your contribution, and *blub* thank you gawd, I love you baby cheesus...
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

May 24, 2011, 22:42
Ones that spring immediately to mind:

Swell Maps http://hiptran.typepad.com/.a/6a00e008c70ad4883401348812ff32970c-pi

PiL http://new.assets.thequietus.com/images/articles/5233/metal_box_canister_1288822568_resize_460x400.jpg

Julian Cope
http://s.dsimg.com/image/R-150-488269-1211120475.jpeg

Johnny Foreigner
http://letsgetcynical.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/img_0486.jpg

:o)
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Edited May 24, 2011, 23:02
May 24, 2011, 22:53
There is no way I can choose a favourite sleeve, there are too many which warrant merit..there is a danger that people will be getting too fixated on top 100 lists and all that media stuff which I find very unsatisfying. Not that I think is the case amongst the crowd which gather here.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

May 24, 2011, 23:48
My life in the bush of ghosts too. Think that's a Peter Saville cover.

8)
FifePsy
FifePsy
540 posts

Edited May 25, 2011, 00:07
May 25, 2011, 00:05
keith a wrote:
[

Marquee Moon.

If I had to pick one it would be Marquee Moon. Overall a perfect package. Don't know what Mapplethorpe did to the image but that grainy blue hue surrounding the band, the black framing, typography, all just works to evoke what's inside. But the back cover is also great with that b/w spiral image and the photo inside of the band with Verlaine and Lloyd sitting on their chairs.

Some others would be:

MBV - Loveless
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation.
Only Ones - Even Serpents Shine (Looks a bit naff now but still love it)
ISB - 5000 Spirits
Annette Peacock - I'm the One
Almost any Impulse sleeve but at a push Coltrane's Africa/Brass. Something heavy on his mind.
Miles - Bitches Brew
Ornette Coleman - Free Jazz
Kevin Drumm - s/t (Which i nicked for my avatar)
dave clarkson
2988 posts

May 25, 2011, 00:50
Coltrane - Africa/ Brass - good call.

8)
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

May 25, 2011, 00:53
Actually my favorite record SLEEVE is a plain white paper one . . .

This thread is actually about what are technically known as JACKETS (the outside cardboard, not the inside paper/plastic "sleeve.")

(Claven out!)
Moon Cat
9577 posts

May 25, 2011, 01:04
Dog 3000 wrote:
Actually my favorite record SLEEVE is a plain white paper one . . .

This thread is actually about what are technically known as JACKETS (the outside cardboard, not the inside paper/plastic "sleeve.")

(Claven out!)

I refute that Dog. Santana's Lotus is clearly an entire city, if not planet, and surely cannot be labelled as a sleeve or a jacket. I mean, you can't say it is when you take record 3 out of a different time zone than record 1! 8^)
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Edited May 25, 2011, 02:54
May 25, 2011, 02:13
Someone mentioned Comus. I do know something about the original artwork - It is by Roger Wootton as is generally known, he also provided the artwork for the Tone Float LP by Organisation and a band called Horse. Both on RCA. I wonder who was that bright spark at RCA.

I contacted him about the wrung out homunculus drawing which someone here very cleverly described it as, as it captures the music perfectly (in a good way). When asked about where is the original artwork he said that his manager managed to retrieve it from Pye, but it got damaged or destroyed in a flood. What few people know was it was printed as a poster for the Red Bus agency from the original drawing.. because I found one. When comparing it to my LP I noticed there was a bit more of his arse going on. I believe it was sold at the gigs in late 1970. It is said that the LP bombed because of the attack on the GPO tower..strangely a song by Vertigo act Cressida on their 2nd LP dedicates a song to..because the singer (who was upset) sent a script which never arrived.

Mentioned on the label topic, feast your "eyes"..

http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=4072240040
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

May 25, 2011, 08:59
Debaser wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:

Alice had some great covers, didn't he? KC already mentioned Schools Out, and you've mentioned Billion Dollar Babies. Love It To Death had a great cover, espesh the inside gatefold close up of the eyes, and Killer was really rather top too (love the ghastly colour).

It's his fault I got into dirty rock and roll. Big sis used to have to babysit for me and one night when I was about 8, she let me watch Old Grey Whistle Test (she also let me watch Film 197something when they were previewing Ken Russell's Mahler - I had nightmares fer weeks! Not sure whether it was intentional - and I was her crappy liitle annyoying sister)

Under My Wheels came on and something just happened. I demanded an Alice poster, mother refused, warped sis obliged - not to please me but to wind mother up, I suspect. I duly ripped down the pony ones and from then on in became an out and out disappointment

Yay Alice!

I used to draw Alice eyes all over my school books.
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index