Great Commercial Suicide Albums

76 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9573 posts

Re: Great Commercial Suicide Albums
May 13, 2011, 20:15
Monganaut wrote:
Seem to recall 'da public' and critics liking neither very much. Critical revisionism has pulled them out of the fire I guess. But what do I know, I think 'Exile' is a second rate crock'.

Aww come on,'David Live' is a stinker of the first water. Not a patch on 'Ohio 72', 'Ziggy Live' and the awesome 'Stage'.
Never mind though, each to their own :)

Yeah, revision is a funny thing!

I don't recall Exile being rated anywhere near as highly as Let It Bleed or Sticky Fingers, but then somewhere along the line someone says it's great and then everyone's a it. I don't understand it - take Tumblin' Dice out of the equation and there's not much to write home about IMO. I much prefer the aforementioned two or Beggars Banquet, or even It's Only Rocknroll for that matter.

As for Bowie, I seem to recall that Stage didn't get great reviews at the time, and that there was a general consensus that it was nowhere near as good as David Live which was held up as some sort of classic.

I didn't have DL so I couldn't compare back then but I always thought Stage was a cracking live album. I've bought DL since and though I wouldn't go as far as saying it was a stinker I can't really understand the fuss. Certainly not the Bowie LP I'd reach for first!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index