Great Commercial Suicide Albums

76 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Re: Great Commercial Suicide Albums
May 11, 2011, 13:35
"If Mark Perry had been doing a “David Essex at the end of Stardust” when he released Vibing Up The Senile Man then his shedding of an audience he had come to dislike would have been historically heroic, rather than a footnote nobody cares about"

I'll have to ask him about that - not entirely sure if it was re an audience he came to dislike - it was more about questioning boundaries - those by establishment, those by punk, even those of his own making (I think)

When we played Zappanale in 2003 it became very clear that tastes have mellowed - we got just as rapturous a reception for "Release The Natives" as we did for some of the other standards like "Love Lies Limp" and "Action Time Vision"

Indeed - we got a great reception and a few chins being scooped off the floor when we played "The Good Missionary" in London in 2008

Punk, new wave, post-punk, call it what the bleedin hell you like - did help in some way to open up a lot of closed minds - but too late in some cases - it was YEARS before "Vibing..." was appreciated in certain circles - and in others probably never will be.

Incidentally - I'd love to do "The Radio Story" live with the band!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index