Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Re: Great Commercial Suicide Albums
May 12, 2011, 21:34
IanB wrote:
Fatalist wrote:
Funny, I've been away for a few days, but found myself pondering a similar subject - 'next biggest thing' bands that utterly failed to deliver - that led me onto a prime example a band taking a glorious wrong turn: Mansun's Six album. I wasn't a huge fan of their debut (Attack of the Grey Lantern, rubbish title) but I really liked the lead single from Six (the distinctly Police-like Being a Girl), so took a punt... Blimey, with a sound that's Pro-Tooled within an inch of its life, it swings wildly between genius and unlistenable, often within the same song, but it ain't half ambitious/odd - imagine if the Manics had done OK Computer. Topped off with this atrocity of a sleeve http://www.a-reminder.org/music/?p=2425 - like Pendragon, only worse - it's no surprise that it sank their chances of before they'd even really got going. Their third and final album was lacklustre, tail-between-the-legs wimp rock - lead single 'I Can Only Disappoint You' said it all...

I love Six. It is an absurd record but packed with tunes and ideas that range from genius to idiocy. Not sure if they were going after the Marillion / Porc Tree audience but the cover suggests as much. Whoever did it was no Mark Wilkinson though.

Still, if Radiohead had turned in a record like that after The Bends the chairs of every rock critic would have been wet with excitement but Radiohead would never have dared to risk being that uncool. I am not even sure they had the collective musical talent to make a record as ridiculous as Six. A limited arsenal can certainly help rein things in.

Yes, Six is deeply uncool, which somehow defines its appeal to me. It did get some very serious reviews at the time, but it was clearly too much of a right turn for their pre-existing fanbase, while being too proggy and downright challenging even for the post-OK Computer audience.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index