Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Mar 27, 2011, 11:10
Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives Weekending 25/03/11
Mar 27, 2011, 10:44
Fitter Stoke wrote:
You're very welcome - and cheers for the feedback.

I love the '63 (or is it '62?) Karajan Fifth too: very fiery and exciting. In fact, that whole cycle is stunning, the overdriven Sixth excepted (the mono Philharmonia recording of that work is far preferable). And I prefer the '77 Ninth - my favourite modern recording of that work.

My all time favourite Beethoven 5 is the 1955 Klemperer recording on EMI - the mono one. It strikes a near-perfect balance between the dramatic, the exciting and the ethereal. How Klemperer missed that list is beyond me.

The Celibidache Munich Fifth is somewhat quirky to my ears, but like all of those posthumously released live recordings, fascinating. I'll never get over hearing that Bruckner 8th with its 45 minute final movement. Amazingly, it works - but it's not the way I'd like to hear it every time!

Yes I just now put the 63 in parentheses. It's definitely not a 63 recording 61 or 62.

Bruckner 8? Now you are talking though the final movement in the recording I have isn't as long 45 minutes. More like 35 but still not long enough. Maybe it feels like 45! There is probably no music written that can be taken slow enough for me. Love having the time to observe the details.

Don't have the Klemperer. Will seek it out forthwith! You mean the mono one?
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2615 posts

Mar 27, 2011, 11:36
My memory was playing tricks with me, I fear: the Bruckner 8 to which I'm referring has a 35 minute third movement and a 32 minute final one - still pretty extreme, but not as much as I'd remembered. This is the 1993 Munich Phil one that is part of the EMI Celi Bruckner box, and I'm going to play it again later today.

Yes, the Klemperer Fifth which I rate highly is the EMI mono one, coupled with a superb Seventh from the same year. It's available on both EMI and Naxos, being long out of copyright. Don't hesitate!
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Mar 27, 2011, 12:35
Mar 27, 2011, 12:18
Fitter Stoke wrote:
My memory was playing tricks with me, I fear: the Bruckner 8 to which I'm referring has a 35 minute third movement and a 32 minute final one - still pretty extreme, but not as much as I'd remembered. This is the 1993 Munich Phil one that is part of the EMI Celi Bruckner box, and I'm going to play it again later today.!

Yes that's box I paid a king's ransom for. Playing the Bruckner 8 right now in fact. Still toying with getting the 4th box.

Fitter Stoke wrote:
Yes, the Klemperer Fifth which I rate highly is the EMI mono one, coupled with a superb Seventh from the same year. It's available on both EMI and Naxos, being long out of copyright. Don't hesitate!

I am a bit puzzled by the Naxos / EMI thing. I am not sure why Naxos would bother given that EMI can easily undercut them on the same repertoire if they want to. Naxos have some real gems in that faux EMI red and black livery. I guess it is the difference between a Penguin Classic with a good forward and one of those £1 ones on bog paper. Though there isn't the same material quality issue with a recording these days.

Anyway the 50 year rule on recordings is peculiar given that the publishing side (ie the right in the composition rather than the recording) runs 70 years after death. A composer could very easily be collecting mechanicals long after the performers would be collecting a royalty. Which seems deeply unfair.

I assume we are due a set of revelatory Beatles remixes / remasterings sometime around now which will then become the "standard version" and the clock will start ticking again on the 50 years.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2615 posts

Mar 27, 2011, 13:50
Well, you can't blame Naxos for taking advantage of the daft copyright laws to make a buck. And their transfers - usually by experts like Mark Obert-Thorn or Ward Marston, really are quite excellent as a rule. But I wouldn't go past EMI's own if I were you. It's one of their mid-price 'Great Recordings Of The Century' releases, and worth every penny.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Mar 27, 2011, 18:11
Mar 27, 2011, 18:06
Fitter Stoke wrote:
Well, you can't blame Naxos for taking advantage of the daft copyright laws to make a buck. And their transfers - usually by experts like Mark Obert-Thorn or Ward Marston, really are quite excellent as a rule. But I wouldn't go past EMI's own if I were you. It's one of their mid-price 'Great Recordings Of The Century' releases, and worth every penny.

Thanks. I saw one EMI version in HMV today but it has different timings to the Naxos one so didn't risk it. I assumed it was a stereo recording. The Beecham box is £35 in HMV, £17 on iTunes and £15 on Amazon and people wonder why they are closing stores. No copy of either the Celibidache Bach B Minor Mass or the second of the Wagner concert records. They did have a Celi Bruckner 9 rehearsal DVD that looked v interesting (the Brahms one is wonderful) but again brutally over priced for an hour long programme.
Cock-a-Doodle
803 posts

Mar 27, 2011, 18:14
Been listening to a lot of comedy this week. Musically, very little other than the Jehovahcoat Demos, which on the first couple of listens is really very good and a great addition to the Cope canon. The opener, Boskawen-Un, is a stunner, whilst the rest of it ticks along very nicely indeed.
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Edited Mar 27, 2011, 23:43
Mar 27, 2011, 19:39
Lumerians / Transmalinnia

Hayvanlar Alemi / Guarana Superpower

Fuzz Beloved / ST

The Gods / To Samuel A Son

Jethro Tull / Songs from the Wood & Heavy Horses

Waterloo / First Battle

The Graviators / ST

Pentagram / Sub-Basement

Ruins / Tzomborgha

Neil Merryweather / Kryptonite

Man / ST

Ursa Major / ST

Moebius & Beerbohm / Strange Music

Hawkwind / Blood of the Earth

Jacula / In Cauda Semper Stat Venenum

Sleep / Sleep's Holy Mountain

Mainliner/ Mellow Out

The Egocentrics / Love Fear Choices and Astronauts

Splinterskin / Wayward Souls

Diamond Head / Borrowed Time

Deep Purple / Made In Europe

Gillan / Future Shock

Klaus Schulze / Mirage

Expo 70 / infinite Macrocosm

Vokokesh / The Tenth Corner

I've been flat fooking broke lately and my want list, nay NEED list has grown many fold. As soon as I'm able will be adding the new Grails, Blood Ceremony, VdGG, Hills, Electric Moon, Negura Bunget, Boris, Causa Sui, Moon Duo, and Uriah Heep releases to name but a few that are calling my name, begging for a home in my collection. I can't wait to emerge from this dry spell!
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1710 posts

Mar 27, 2011, 19:42
Kontakte- We Move Through Negative Spaces

Eat Lights: Become Lights- Autopia

Fad Gadget- Under The Flag

Man- Rhinos, Winos and Lunatics

John Mayall- Blues from Laurel Canyon

Curved Air- Air Conditioning

Cockney Rebel- The Human Menagerie

Martin Carthy and Dave Swarbrick- Selections

Sarabeth Tucek- Get Well Soon

Arbouretum- The Gathering

Edward's Hand- Stranded

GF Fitzgerald- Mouseproof
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Mar 27, 2011, 19:59
redfish365 wrote:
I've been flat fooking broke lately and my want list, nay NEED list has grown many fold. As soon as I'm able will be adding the new Grails, Blood Ceremony

New Grails & BC albums ordered and on their way to you from Amazon.com.

It's what friends are for...

:D
a23
a23
1004 posts

Mar 27, 2011, 21:27
Was away on hols in Whitby this week (Great weather!) but didn;t have much music with me. Travelling down< i played thru most of the ABBA albums, which I got in a 9 cd box set from amazon @ £17, which isn;t bad.

Otherwise:

Lots of Doors - LA Woman / Strange Days / Soft Parade / Live in Vancouver

Xasthur - Portal of Sorrow - quite excited by this one

Virginia Astley - From Gardens where we feel secure - nice bucolic vibe here, the dog didn;t like the owl noises

Simple Minds - Sons & Fascination/Sister Feelings Call - a great record

Bruce Springsteen - The River

John Foxx & The Maths - Interplay - really good new relaese from Foxxy - draws influence from across his career with lots os references in the music and lyrics, and some tracks that i thought were truly beautiful.

CCR - Bayou Country

Radio Birdman - Radios Appear

VA - Synth Wave 10

PTV - Themes 4 - haven't had time to listen to the rest of this nice shiny new box set of PTV Themes yet

Twin Peaks OST

Richard Strauss- Four Last Songs - love these

Bruckner - 8th Symphony

Procul Harum - A Salty Dog - wasn;t that impresses when i first heard this, but its growing and growing

Stevie Wonder - Innervisions

Max Romeo - War In A Babylon - what a good record/voice
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index