Soundtracks To Our Lives Weekending 25/03/11

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
ToneStone
ToneStone
1768 posts

Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives Weekending 25/03/11
Mar 28, 2011, 19:14
Its the gothic air in Yorkshire, its all those destroyed monasteries ;)
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Mar 28, 2011, 19:16
hah! Just d/loading your primer - I need to investigate this further *pulls cloak around face*
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Mar 28, 2011, 19:19
Thanks! I shall have to go charge me batteries (in every sense) but I shall download that this week. Looking forward to it.

Now to dig out that Doktor Avalanche solo album!
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Mar 28, 2011, 19:20
Squid Tempest wrote:
ToneStone wrote:
Someone else reviewed me as "Gothic Dubstep" i guess all those years at Slimelight had an impact ;)

I love the Sisters and they deffo have a major influence on the Witch House scene must be the drum machine fetish

The Sisters comparison makes a lot of sense thinking about the couple of bits of yours that I've heard. I should point NOTD in the direction of your music, she's a big SoM fan IIRC.

But it's Boyzone that she hearts most!

(runs awaaaaaaaayyyy!!!!)
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Mar 28, 2011, 19:24
Treading on dangerous ground there, Moon Cat!

Actually, it would be rather fitting if the Wessexy Witch liked witch house, don't you think?
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Mar 28, 2011, 22:16
Moon Cat wrote:
IanB wrote:

Queen 2? Right on. I can take most of the albums for what they are up to and including The Game but yes the first three at least are corkers. I could happily dispense with quirky half of NATO I'm afraid. At the time I dismissed them almost entirely after Sheer Heart Attack. Not enough weight in the guitars.

Queen II - it's just one of the most sublimely nutball records ever made IMO. Even now I listen to it and marvel and think "Really, what is this? What are they doing? Who the fuck thought this was a good idea?" But it WAS a really good idea and ludicrously and luxuriously entertaining. Exquisitely silly in a good way.

Great to see Queen II getting some righteous love here. I'm sure a lot of people who'd love this album's mad cocktail of glam, prog and proto-metal would never think of listening to it because of what came after. I remember thinking that Ogre Battle was just the heaviest thing ever when I'd hear it as a wee lad on my brother's stereo. The first album also deserves much love - Son and Daughter, one of the great unsung riffs in rock history.
FifePsy
FifePsy
540 posts

Mar 28, 2011, 23:04
mingtp wrote:
Albums

Matt Berry - Witchazel

Hi Ming. What's this like? I was well impressed with the track that Maconie played on the Freak Zone. It's that bloke from the Boosh etc right?
FifePsy
FifePsy
540 posts

Mar 28, 2011, 23:07
bubblehead2 wrote:

OREN AMBARCHI - In The Pendulum's Embrace - As it's beatless, i can get away with playing this at substantially louder levels than, say, Space Ritual. Played quietly, it's a nice piece of ambient chillage but with the volume up it's a different beast entirely. Despite it's superficial fragility i love the way Oren's trademark 'pings' seemingly alter the air pressure in the room leaving the listener physically short of breath, no really, they do !

I'm with you here. Love this.
FifePsy
FifePsy
540 posts

Mar 28, 2011, 23:48
Highlight for me this week has been Leo Wadada Smith and Ed Blackwell's The Blue Mountain's Sun Drummer. A live recording from 1986 that has just surfaced and it is sublime. I didn't think i could ever get that excited about a trumpet/drums recording but this is just....wow!(Smith also plays a bit flute, african thumb piano and sings).

Brainticket - Psychonaut. Love this mash of psych/prog/k*rock with the wonderfully named head honcho Joel Vandroogenbroeck.

Mogwai - Hardcore Will Never Die but you Will. The Wai doing what they do.

Mahavishnu Orchestra - streamed a few of the live shows on Wolfgang's Vault. Brain melting.

Also a bit of a Luke Haines week, inspired when Lenny Valentino came up on the pod shuffle. So Auteurs, Black Box Recorder, Baader Meinhoff and 21st Century Man. have all been played.

Hawkwind - Astounding Sounds, Amazing Music. First Hawks LP I ever got and like this era.

Other spins:

Tim Hecker - Ravedeath 1972
Julian Cope - Jehovahkill
This Heat - Health and Efficiency
Joe Morris - No Vertigo
Ray Russell - Secret Asylum
Stephan Mathieu - A Static Place and Remain
Siouxsie & Banshees - Join Hands
Keith Jarrett - Birth and Somewhere Before.
Mingus - Ah Um
Morton Feldman - Neither.

Happy listening all.
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Mar 29, 2011, 00:00
ToneStone wrote:
I also did a Witch house primer that contains most of the above you can grab here :

INVOCATIONS Vol 1...

Fankuverymuchdontmindifido!
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index