Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Ornette Coleman ( Warning : Contains Jazz)

78 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Feb 15, 2011, 12:50
Re: Ornette Coleman ( Warning : Contains Jazz)
Feb 15, 2011, 12:40
The Sea Cat wrote:
I've been playing the Reunion 1990 cd a lot recently, which I love, and revisiting The Shape Of Jazz To Come. Other than his first album, Something Else (always a good listen IMO, although some overlook it compared to later work), I need some advice as to other essential albums in his vast output for my collection. Any recommendations?

I would highly recommend the following from my favourite Ornette era from the late 60s / v early 70s with Cherry, Blackwell and Haden et al to the fore. I think they will sit well with your love of Alice Coltrane ...

Science Fiction (glorious guest vocals from Asha Puthli)

Crisis (Dewey Redman is wonderful on this and it contains a great version of Song For Che)

Broken Shadows

These were made in that brief period when major labels thought that enough progressive minded rock fans would buy into the music to cross over some of the "free" arists. Didn't happen, but what music!

I don't go so much for the Prime Time stuff so after these three I would head back to the two Golden Circle trio albums which are real tightrope walkers. I can't imagine what European jazz fans would have made of it all in '65 as these are more demanding sets than even the music Coltrane was recording at that time.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index