Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Ornette Coleman ( Warning : Contains Jazz)

Pages: 8 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Ornette Coleman ( Warning : Contains Jazz)
Feb 15, 2011, 12:26
I've been playing the Reunion 1990 cd a lot recently, which I love, and revisiting The Shape Of Jazz To Come. Other than his first album, Something Else (always a good listen IMO, although some overlook it compared to later work), I need some advice as to other essential albums in his vast output for my collection. Any recommendations?
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

Re: Ornette Coleman ( Warning : Contains Jazz)
Feb 15, 2011, 12:31
I've got 'The Shape Of Jazz To Come' and quite enjoy it. But being a newbie, will be watching this thread to see where I should be listening, too.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Feb 15, 2011, 12:35
Feb 15, 2011, 12:34
Same here. I've only got those three, but they are wonderful. 'Shape Off Jazz To Come' is magnificent.
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

Feb 15, 2011, 12:38
there's a lot of it, and a lot of variety!

it took me years to "get" ornette .. always seemed a bit "cerebral" compared to the fierier coltrane/ayler stuff that was my gateway to jazz ... bloody love him now (altho there's loads of his stuff i haven't heard)

try the 2 "live a the golden circle" recs for lovely 60s trio feel - theyr'e ones - return to again + again

"dancing in your head" is a great one for messed up near-funk ... some wild stuff w/ master musicians of joujouka on there

i love "science fiction" - real mixed bag on there .. .vocals too

i've been recently jamming some dubs a friend gave me of "the empty foxhole" (w/ his 10 year old son on drums!) + a early Prime Time live LP + they're both great

"free jazz" is a blast too, but not one of my faves ... you can get a load of his old recs on CD for a fiver or less on amazon - dip in to the 60s ones that are cheap there i say

do you have the song "lonely woman" in yr collection yet? if not, it's a must
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2557 posts

Feb 15, 2011, 12:38
I have somewhere Dancing In Your Head, Empty Foxhole and the orchestral Skies Of America. He went a wee bitty like Miles and started bringing in loads of electronics. As well as saxophone he played trumpet.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Feb 15, 2011, 12:50
Feb 15, 2011, 12:40
The Sea Cat wrote:
I've been playing the Reunion 1990 cd a lot recently, which I love, and revisiting The Shape Of Jazz To Come. Other than his first album, Something Else (always a good listen IMO, although some overlook it compared to later work), I need some advice as to other essential albums in his vast output for my collection. Any recommendations?

I would highly recommend the following from my favourite Ornette era from the late 60s / v early 70s with Cherry, Blackwell and Haden et al to the fore. I think they will sit well with your love of Alice Coltrane ...

Science Fiction (glorious guest vocals from Asha Puthli)

Crisis (Dewey Redman is wonderful on this and it contains a great version of Song For Che)

Broken Shadows

These were made in that brief period when major labels thought that enough progressive minded rock fans would buy into the music to cross over some of the "free" arists. Didn't happen, but what music!

I don't go so much for the Prime Time stuff so after these three I would head back to the two Golden Circle trio albums which are real tightrope walkers. I can't imagine what European jazz fans would have made of it all in '65 as these are more demanding sets than even the music Coltrane was recording at that time.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Feb 15, 2011, 12:43
Thanks for those recommendatiions!They all sound excllent Master Musicians Of Joujouka as well! That's a definite one to checl out as well. Where to start...I'll just dive in. Best way. I find myself listening in this area more than any other these days. Truly far out.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Feb 15, 2011, 12:49
Thanks Ian. I'm doing amazon searches re. all these and they're easily available, so I think i'll start with the live Golden Circle cds, Dancing In Your Head, Science Fiction and/or Crisis/Broken Shadows to start with.

Some great remasters available - there's so much excellent quality remastering in Jazz.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Feb 15, 2011, 12:50
I'm looking forward to this. Another musical odyssey awaits!
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2557 posts

Feb 15, 2011, 12:51
You will love The Skies Of America, that is guaranteed!
Pages: 8 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index