Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Re: Revolutions are celebrated when they are no longer dangerous
Sep 23, 2010, 09:23
Popel Vooje wrote:
Some of the more extreme Japanese improvisers like Keiji Haino and Musioca Transonic still haven't been assimilated into the mainstream, and given the nature of their music I doubt they ever will be.

Per my reply immediately above I expected the Zorn related artists to get much more of a mention. Maybe that makes them even more the outsiders!
machineryelf
3681 posts

Sep 23, 2010, 09:59
How could I have forgotten Chadbourne, and what about vocalists, apart from Bjork has anyone leftfield penetrated the mass media.
and can anyone think of anybody , my mind is a blank apart from Diamanda Galas.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 23, 2010, 09:59
Sep 23, 2010, 09:59
thesweetcheat wrote:
singingringingtree wrote:
IanB wrote:
I would say that Free Jazz and the 12 Tone serialists are still out on the frontiers of popular taste. Anything else in music that hasn't charmed the bourgeoisie and been used to sell some product or another?

i kida disagree on those 2 - i mean, coltrane, ayler, sun ra, ornette ... bet mojo has run pieces on them (or, in theory, it WOULD) ... cecil taylor may somehow just be a bit "other" for all this, mind

More contenders (taking up on the serialism idea + running in that general direction) = Alvin Lucier, robert ashley, david tudor (i was jamming hois "neural synthesis" the other day ... jesus christ, it sstill sounds utterly alien + WTF), etc etc

Alvin Lucier, interesting. "I Am Sitting In A Room" takes some of Reich's earliest ideas ("It's Gonna Rain", etc) to a logical extreme. I agree with Ian though, I don't think Mojo etc have ever really paid more than lip service. I don't recall them doing anything about any of the minimalists. Even someone like Harold Budd is probably too un-rock for a Mojo piece(although again, hardly revolutionary either).

The minimalists are interesting because like the Serlialists some of their ideas have been adopted and turned into pablum by film score writers and house / chill out artists. Think of for example the American Beauty score which was then ripped by everyone in American tv all the way to the core of the mainstream - Desperate Housewives etc. So everyone gets a spoonful of Reich's Six Marimbas (for example) watered right down so it doesn't upset anyone. It's like sax players on rock records who dare to overblow for a few bars.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 23, 2010, 10:06
Sep 23, 2010, 10:05
machineryelf wrote:
How could I have forgotten Chadbourne, and what about vocalists, apart from Bjork has anyone leftfield penetrated the mass media.

Bjork is a great example of someone who is still selling some records even though she has moved well out of the safety zone. I would love to hear her work with someone like Zorn or Joelle Leandre. She hasn't had a Gold record in America since Homogenic but even Medulla sold 250k. Which the likes of Kronos Quartet could only dreeam of. 50k is a very good result for someone like that.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Sep 23, 2010, 10:13
IanB wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:

I hate sax players on rock records, generally. Especially that 80s thing where "New Wave" groups seemed to think it was obligatory, e.g. the terrible re-recording of "Pretty In Pink" for the film of the same name.

Saxophone is far better used on ska records!

..... agreed and Motown of course. And maybe the first Dexy's album. The solo on "Baker Street" drives me crazy though I still like the cut-n-paste solo on Broooooce's "Jugleland". Sax in Punk Rock was always a strange one but I would have to make an exception for Gareth Sagar. The horns on the Graham Parker records are the big downside of his albums for me.

First Dexys album - yay! Actually, the Bureau album was great too, and the stuff they did between Dexy Mark 1 (Searching ...) and Dexy Mark 3 ("...Eileen"), i.e. "Show Me"; "Plan B"; a couple of radio sessions.

Agreed about Gareth Sager too. Possibly also some of the Birthday Party honking, although even that I'm not entirely sure about.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 23, 2010, 11:08
Sep 23, 2010, 11:03
thesweetcheat wrote:
IanB wrote:
The minimalists are interesting because like the Serlialists some of their ideas have been adopted and turned into pablum by film score writers and house / chill out artists. Think of for example the American Beauty score which was then ripped by everyone in American tv all the way to the core of the mainstream - Desperate Housewives etc. So everyone gets a spoonful of Reich's Six Marimbas (for example) watered right down so it doesn't upset anyone. It's like sax players on rock records who dare to overblow for a few bars.

Yes, that's true. I suppose Glass (and Nyman) have been responsible for bringing minimalist film scores into popular acceptance.

I hate sax players on rock records, generally. Especially that 80s thing where "New Wave" groups seemed to think it was obligatory, e.g. the terrible re-recording of "Pretty In Pink" for the film of the same name.

Saxophone is far better used on ska records!

..... agreed and Motown of course. And maybe the first Dexy's album. The solo on "Baker Street" drives me crazy though I still like the cut-n-paste solo on Broooooce's "Jugleland". Sax in Punk Rock was always a strange one but I would have to make an exception for Gareth Sagar. The horns on the Graham Parker records are the big downside of his albums for me.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 23, 2010, 11:07
Sep 23, 2010, 11:06
thesweetcheat wrote:
IanB wrote:
machineryelf wrote:

Bjork is a great example of someone who is still selling some records even though she has moved well out of the safety zone. I would love to hear her work with someone like Zorn or Joelle Leandre. She hasn't had a Gold record in America since Homogenic but even Medulla sold 250k. Which the likes of Kronos Quartet could only dreeam of. 50k is a very good result for someone like that.

Medulla was pretty out-there for a record by a major artist. As was Drawing Restraint 9, although I don't know if that sold much.

If it sold 30,000 in the US and UK combined I would be amazed. When it comes to Art Rock soundtracks even There Will Be Blood didn't sell a lot.
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

Sep 23, 2010, 12:18
La Monte Young ... partly cuz he purposely makes his stuff unavailable, but also cuz it really does have an extremity that still makes you sit up straight - i had "poem for chairs, tables etc" on earlier this week + it's strident stuff ... makes most modern noise sound puny (+ it's acoustic, from early 60s!)

his influence is all over the place, mind, thru more accessible minimalists (ie the rest of ;'em) + the velvets of course
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Sep 23, 2010, 15:34
Bjork has a new download single out (The Comet Song) I just found out today. It has moomins on the (virtual) cover.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Sep 24, 2010, 09:42
singingringingtree wrote:
CRASS

even tho there's a slight effort to integrate /em now, w/ the CD remastering treatment + all that, but i don't think we'll be hearing jarvis cocker drop "reality asylum" into his radio show any time soon

Good call. Was thinking about them this morning, bizarrely. Perhaps "Shaved Women" could be used to advertise Venus razors?
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index