Pages: 8 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Sep 08, 2010, 18:30
Phil Collins
Sep 08, 2010, 18:26
OK. Yep, the tedious and utterly shite 80's solo stuff with Ben Elton spangly jackets, cheesey horns and mullets, not to mention godawful Disney bollox, but, I feel I have to defend the man from over the top vilification and give him a break for once.( He did not divorce his wife by fax, or move to Switzerland because he's a Tory, but hey, we don't all believe Noel and The Tabloids now, do we ?)

He was an utterly superb and exquisite drummer, and fine vocalist to boot. End of. He was essential in bringing Genesis to full life so Peter Gabriel could do his thing, he was the drummer of choice bar none for Eno, Fripp etc and became a best pal of and collaborator with John Martyn ( case in point the wonderful Grace & Danger, not the odd other dodgy stuff ; ) Oh, and dodgy 80s Genesis would not have happened if Tony Banks/Mike Rutherofd were not into it, Tony Banks being the true Guv after PG, hence Steve Hackett's departure ( the real death knell of the band IMO ).

Anyway, his vast excellent canon of session work and collaborations , as well as the excellent pre-'pop' Genesis, means that, in my mind, the guy deserves long overdue respect, rather than being a cliched whipping boy for all things 80s and Naff.

Time off for previous good behaviour. M' Lud ?

Om Shanti Phil.

ps: this thread was not remotely inspired by the Morrisey one. Whatsoever. I promise. ;
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Phil Collins
Sep 08, 2010, 18:32
I agree for the most part. Never a massive fan of his Genesis era, although I'd be a churl to deny some of the quality tunage available. But I do like his voice and yeah, he is more than capable as a drummerist.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Sep 08, 2010, 18:34
Thanks Mooncat. I was expecting the first response to be less than polite!
supercat
supercat
4257 posts

Sep 08, 2010, 18:35
ROTFLMAO!
I'll reply once i've seen matron for my meds. :D
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Sep 08, 2010, 18:36
Sep 08, 2010, 18:36
Help me. What does that mean ?
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Sep 08, 2010, 18:43
The Sea Cat wrote:
Thanks Mooncat. I was expecting the first response to be less than polite!

Soz old stick. I forgot to add...."of course anyone that likes him is a utterly despicable cunt bucket of the most arse torn shit bowel bollocked tally knackered fuckbag wittedness and should be rectally savaged by toxic bum gibbons".

Hope that makes up for any shortcomings in my previous post. 8^)
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Sep 08, 2010, 18:51
( Finger Pointing Angry Merlin style ) Derybyshire Neck bestowed upon yourself and Seven generations of future litters me dearie...

AArgghh... Give us a nurdle ;-)

I can take my teeth out if that helps...

I'll settle for a psychedleic pot noodle.... 'praps.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Sep 08, 2010, 19:37
The Sea Cat wrote:
....I do think the chap's becoming The Wicker Man for all things naff and 80s parp...

You're right. The Angry Mob should also be chasing down Mark King and Mark Knopfler. There's no excuse for 80s Genesis and I think someone has already mentioned the musical crime that was ADIP, but I was surprised how well he came over in the Mojo interview actually.

Oh, and he played drums on "Puss In Boots", which must count for something, Antfans.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Sep 08, 2010, 19:46
He apologised in Mojo recently for being a total knob in the 80s, so fair dues but I'm sorry those records cancel out any goodwill garnered by Eno & John Martyn

Guilty as charged m'lud

I'll suspend his sentence as the poor old fucker is completely knackered now, can't tie his own shoelaces it seems, which seems a fairly harsh judgement even on the singer of Another Day In Paradise
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Edited Sep 08, 2010, 20:09
Sep 08, 2010, 20:00
Interesting thread on another forum discusses his serious credentials within African American/R&B community while he has none in the greater community.

The crux is the 80's/90's work is considered worthwhile within R&B circles: grooves, hooks, and vocals.

Maybe this is the turning that inevitably happens to once vilified commercial acts: ABBA, ELO, Bread, Carpenters, Beach Boys, Four Seasons, Association, Etc.,

Soon he'll be a genius...
Pages: 8 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index