The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Sep 09, 2010, 11:20
Re: Phil Collins
Sep 09, 2010, 11:18
IanB wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
Peter Gabriel's 'Sledgehammer' sets my teeth on edge, unfortunately. Much as I admire the guy's obvious talent, and I like some of his early solo work and the Passion soundtrack, I find his po-faced seriousness and hanging around with Bono and Annie Lennox's bandwagon extremely tedious. I know he's done great things re. global music, but come on Pete. Lighten up a bit. Stick A Flower in your jeans now and again ( see what I did there eh? ;-).

Joking apart, I think The Lamb was his finest hour.

I agree. I think he is one of those artists that has been very lucky with the critics. And Real World / WOMAD has a lot to do with that. Slagging off Gabriel was the equivalent of calling Mother Theresa a ****. Most of his solo stuff after PG 4 is so dull it makes Sting sound like Smokey Robinson. And the music he wrote for the performance art thing in the Millenium Dome was bilge of the highest order. When it comes to post Lamb the best things he did were the piano ballad version of "Here Comes The Flood" on Fripp's "Exposure" and "Don't Give Up".

It's also the faux 'serious intellectual artiste' schtick that really irritates. I decided to give Ovo a go once via the library and it was excruciatingly dull and pretentious, and the less said of Up, the better. Awful. Like going under the gas at particularly pompous dental surgery..
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Sep 09, 2010, 11:55
Sep 09, 2010, 11:54
IanB wrote:

And the way the music press and media totally abandoned long-form rock music in 76/77 was a fairly scandalous exercise in collective amnesia. A lot of the music that was made between say 74 and 76 was terrible and the change in drugs-of-choice did bad things to people's egos but I think it took the best part of 15 years for English music to recover from the Flat Earthism of Punk. Punk just left the middle ground open to MTV and the greedheads and 100% focus on singles rather than 40 minute musical experiences. Baby. Bathwater.

If you set aside the Prog and Psych revivalists like Marillion it was a lonely empty road for original long-form English rock music between say "Awaken" and "Laughing Stock" or "Laser Guided Melodies".

That's very well said Ian. Exact and astute. Do you blog or write re. music? If not, you should do ( and that's not just because I agree, you have an insight and turn of phrase even if I don't agree with a particular point).
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Sep 09, 2010, 12:27
The Sea Cat wrote:
IanB wrote:

And the way the music press and media totally abandoned long-form rock music in 76/77 was a fairly scandalous exercise in collective amnesia. A lot of the music that was made between say 74 and 76 was terrible and the change in drugs-of-choice did bad things to people's egos but I think it took the best part of 15 years for English music to recover from the Flat Earthism of Punk. Punk just left the middle ground open to MTV and the greedheads and 100% focus on singles rather than 40 minute musical experiences. Baby. Bathwater.

If you set aside the Prog and Psych revivalists like Marillion it was a lonely empty road for original long-form English rock music between say "Awaken" and "Laughing Stock" or "Laser Guided Melodies".

That's very well said Ian. Exact and astute. Do you blog or write re. music? If not, you should do ( and that's not just because I agree, you have an insight and turn of phrase even if I don't agree with a particular point).

Blimey. That's very good of you. No I haven't blogged. I lucked into doing a little bit of music writing for one of the broadsheets many moons ago but I wasn't really good enough for a sustained run at that. Having a conversation with you lot is one thing, writing for an invisible audience is something else entirely. Though I do enjoy other people's blogs. I have discovered more great music through five years or so hanging around HH than from a lifetime of reading the press.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Sep 09, 2010, 12:33
Sep 09, 2010, 12:33
Well the fact that you have done it in the past shows in a lot your posts when you're getting deep into a topic. Always informative and a pleasure to read. Keep it on!

:-) Om Shanti.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 09, 2010, 12:40
Sep 09, 2010, 12:35
The Sea Cat wrote:
Well the fact that you have done it in the past shows in a lot your posts when you're getting deep into a topic. Always informative and a pleasure to read. Keep it on!

:-) Om Shanti.

Going deep into a topic is why I didn't get asked back!
Much blushing in NW2. Thanks.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Sep 09, 2010, 12:55
IanB wrote:
I think it took the best part of 15 years for English music to recover from the Flat Earthism of Punk. Punk just left the middle ground open to MTV and the greedheads and 100% focus on singles rather than 40 minute musical experiences. Baby. Bathwater.

You can maybe blame Phil Collins for opening the door to the likes of the Lighthouse Family but he didn't create an audience for that bilge. I blame Thatcher myself and the idea of "good taste" being something consistent that you can take off the shelf at Habitat.

Often wondered about that, did punks scorched earth policy really create such a vacuum.I often think that American stadium rock was a bigger problem, Bruford mentioned it in his book, you can't be subtle or intelligent if you want to reach to the back of a 2 mile long stadium, look at Simple Minds & U2, one tried to do stadium rock & failed, one embraced it wholly and became St Bono Inc, LH man to the devil Collins.
Both came out of punk and should therefore be exempt from the faults of their fathers as it were. Once you fill a stadium a whole corporate structure wants you to keep on filling those stadiums, I imagine the artists are probably pretty keen on the money too, and keeping that ball rolling. Was punk responsible for Phil Collins , a man who obviously had some kudos with the art rock crowd at some point and some kind of musical drive[much as I loathe Brand X I can see that they were trying to get beyond the limits of prog,never mind the 3 min single] and give it up to make the bland grey music he went on too make. Or did he just let the machine swallow him because hey 'call me bland & grey but don't forget the rich' has a certain charm, I certainly know that if someone offered me £20million & said the only drawback is that anyone with musical taste will think you're a tosser I'd be travelling bankwards with my bag of swag faster than you could say sellout.
keith a
9574 posts

Sep 09, 2010, 13:29
IanB wrote:

Yes he has made a lot of terrible records but there were a lot of artists who made their name pre Punk who cashed in their chips in an undignified fashion in the 80s pandering to MTV in the worst way - Winwood, Palmer, Clapton for three. I would put Bowie in that category too. And Rod.

Pretty much agree there. Esp Winwood and Clapton. I've no doubt mentioned this before, but I remember seeing a programme about EC (South Bank Show I think?) where he said he preferred his demo's to his latest album. And whilst I admired his honesty I thought someone of his stature should have ensured they had some kind of artistic authority. Probably niave of me I know!

As for Winwood...never saw the attraction in those 80's records at all. It wasn't just the blandness - his voice was awful. Remove that peg off your conk, young man! It as certainly hard to reconcile with that great white soul singer reputation as far I was concerned.

Rod and Bowie seemed to lose the plot although at least one of them did at least recover - what do you mean which one? ; )

And in his (Bowie's) case I'll always defend Let's Dance - sure it was DB going pop after Scary Monsters (which still sounds pretty weird at times) but I thought he pulled it off on that one. And even after that he'd still pull off the odd great 45 - Absolute Beginners, Never Let Me Down, This Is Not America - even if the albums were pretty much toss till he started getting interesting again in the early 90's. And then there was that television collaboration with La La Human Steps where he did that noisy rendition of Look Back In Anger which sounded fab at the time.

But Palmer - I thought he started the 80's very well even though I'd never been a fan of his. I've got a lot of time for the Clues LP - some so-called old fart embracing technology and singing Gary Numan songs was rather novel at the time. And the singles Looking For Clues and Johnny & Mary were fab IMO. Even Julie Burchill liked J&M and she didn't like anything! ; )

And although I never bought it and I know a lot of people will consider it somewhat naff, but I've always had a soft spot for Addicted To Love. A fun pop single IMO that has admittedly suffered from over-exposure.
ars moriendi
ars moriendi
433 posts

Sep 09, 2010, 13:48
It sounds like easy money to me. He would get more credibility if he took the time and effort to put his own stamp on the arrangements. It seems to me that he's just knocking up carbon copies of classics and relying on his fan base to thrown their money at it. Quite ugly if you ask me but then our Phil brings out the cynic in me.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Edited Sep 09, 2010, 15:13
Sep 09, 2010, 15:03
I have a buch of Robert Palmer lps, Andy Fraser is on at least one of them & the Robert Palmer sings Numan one is good too. May just dig them out again.
I think about Addicted to Love was where it go too slick for me,always thought Robert Palmer was more in the Grace Jones mould than anything else, a kind of slick whiteboy soul.
If you think Phil Collins went downhill have pity on the soul & reggae fans, they really did suffer from 80s production fubars.

edit just remembered one of Robert Palmers lps has a classic runout [or run in] of someone going uplimber up loosen up limber uploosen just long enough for you to realise that it's limber up loosen up started on the offbeat
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Sep 09, 2010, 15:06
keith a wrote:
IanB wrote:

Yes he has made a lot of terrible records but there were a lot of artists who made their name pre Punk who cashed in their chips in an undignified fashion in the 80s pandering to MTV in the worst way - Winwood, Palmer, Clapton for three. I would put Bowie in that category too. And Rod.

Pretty much agree there. Esp Winwood and Clapton. I've no doubt mentioned this before, but I remember seeing a programme about EC (South Bank Show I think?) where he said he preferred his demo's to his latest album. And whilst I admired his honesty I thought someone of his stature should have ensured they had some kind of artistic authority. Probably niave of me I know!

As for Winwood...never saw the attraction in those 80's records at all. It wasn't just the blandness - his voice was awful. Remove that peg off your conk, young man! It as certainly hard to reconcile with that great white soul singer reputation as far I was concerned.

Rod and Bowie seemed to lose the plot although at least one of them did at least recover - what do you mean which one? ; )

And in his (Bowie's) case I'll always defend Let's Dance - sure it was DB going pop after Scary Monsters (which still sounds pretty weird at times) but I thought he pulled it off on that one. And even after that he'd still pull off the odd great 45 - Absolute Beginners, Never Let Me Down, This Is Not America - even if the albums were pretty much toss till he started getting interesting again in the early 90's. And then there was that television collaboration with La La Human Steps where he did that noisy rendition of Look Back In Anger which sounded fab at the time.

But Palmer - I thought he started the 80's very well even though I'd never been a fan of his. I've got a lot of time for the Clues LP - some so-called old fart embracing technology and singing Gary Numan songs was rather novel at the time. And the singles Looking For Clues and Johnny & Mary were fab IMO. Even Julie Burchill liked J&M and she didn't like anything! ; )

And although I never bought it and I know a lot of people will consider it somewhat naff, but I've always had a soft spot for Addicted To Love. A fun pop single IMO that has admittedly suffered from over-exposure.

You are right about Scary Monsters for sure though I think of that as the last 70s album than associated what came after. This is Not America was a great single. I just can't get by the production on the Lets Dance album. The single is glorious but I just remember not being able to get away from that sodding drum sound. And that haircut! And the suit! Why did all these fuckers have such terrible tailoring?

I like Robert Palmer's voice (Vinegar Joe were quite decent too) the solo reords not so much. I should give them another try as I pretty much filed him away at the time as being the British Boz Scaggs. Which might be unfair. Though Lido Shuffle was a good single. Did you ever hear the tune RP cut with Lee Perry (I think there was only one) it's often tacked on the end of the confusingly titled Heart of the Congo album he made with two African musicians. Not the same record as Heart of the Congos. Anyway it ia a really nice cut and it's a shame it never went any further.
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index