130 posts

Re: Live Albums
Sep 10, 2010, 16:17
Squid Tempest wrote:
smrt wrote:

and how about
Planet Gong - Floating Anarchy

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/headtohead/unsung/topic/59490/threaded/751201

I had been thinking here still on debut live albums, but point taken.

One that has not been talked about yet which I rate highly is "This is not the new Dream Synicate album live". - Picked it up recently on the reissue of the Medicine Show and am very impressed with it. Much better than the Live a Raji's one. The live keyboards give the band a very different sound.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Sep 10, 2010, 16:23
smrt wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
smrt wrote:

and how about
Planet Gong - Floating Anarchy

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/headtohead/unsung/topic/59490/threaded/751201

I had been thinking here still on debut live albums, but point taken.

One that has not been talked about yet which I rate highly is "This is not the new Dream Synicate album live". - Picked it up recently on the reissue of the Medicine Show and am very impressed with it. Much better than the Live a Raji's one. The live keyboards give the band a very different sound.

Sorry, my post probably came over as a bit rude! I just meant to point out that I rate Floating Anarchy as a live album :-)
smrt
130 posts

Sep 10, 2010, 16:42
Squid Tempest wrote:

Sorry, my post probably came over as a bit rude! I just meant to point out that I rate Floating Anarchy as a live album :-)

No matter. T'is a good album isn't it. Floating Anarchy '91 is worth getting if you haven't already. Think I even prefer it to the original.

Did you see that Esoteric are also re-issuing Here & Now's All Over The Show later this month. Itself another good live album..

Steve.
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Sep 10, 2010, 16:44
Robot Emperor wrote:
So true about live albums being a good introduction to a band in the days before the internet, when everything was just so much harder to find. Explains why I have had so many over the years. Many of the albums you mention I have only got to listen to over the last few years thanks to the internet - The SAHB one for example. So I am finding new live albums all the time - most of them over thirty years old though.

Some more old fav's

Status Quo Live. Come on it's great. Would be surprised if this was one of those "almost live" heavily doctored albums. Chancers they may have been

One Live Badger. A debut album which is also a live album. Is this unique? Produced by Jon Anderson at the concert Yessongs was recorded. Have never met anyone else who likes it. Even people who think Yes went downhill after Tony Kaye left.

Greetings Emperor, I was a bit worried you were going to forget Badger! Despite being a fantastic amalgam of Floyd/Traffic (and most definitely NOT Yes), it's a ridiculously unknown/under-rated album. Other than obscurity, the Yes connection really doesn't help ie. Yes fans probably don't like it, non-Yes fans probably steer clear of it because of the connection. Oh, and it's also Christian rock... Blimey, I'm really not selling this, but honestly, it's a great and genuinely Unsung album, heavy prog gospel years before Spiritualized :-)

Most of my fave lives have already been listed:
Hawkwind/Space Ritual (unsurpassably awesome)
King Crimson/USA & Earthbound (the latter gets a bad rep, but it's got to be the grungiest 'prog' record ever released, with a ferocious version of Schizoid Man)
Magazine/Play (I'd say most of the versions are better than the studio originals)
Rush/Exit Stage Left (contains THAT version of Tom Sawyer, nuff said)

Has anybody had the second BOC live album, Some Enchanted Evening? Fantastic versions of Astronomy, Godzilla and Don't Fear The Reaper.

And finally, how could you all forget Unleashed in the East from the mighty Judas Priest! Great versions of all the early greats - Victim of Changes, Tyrant, Genocide - plus a super cover of Fleetwood Mac's Green Manalishi.
zerkalo
zerkalo
488 posts

Sep 10, 2010, 19:07
Squid Tempest wrote:

Slade Alive!

First one that came to mind, glad it already got a mention
Osky
12 posts

Edited Sep 10, 2010, 19:51
Sep 10, 2010, 19:48
(EDIT) oops ...I havent quite got the hang of how these forums work yet...posted this in the wrong place
Osky
12 posts

Sep 10, 2010, 19:53
A few of my live faves (official and boots) that spring to mind...

Scorpions - Tokyo Tapes (Uli's lead work is breath-taking)
AC/DC - Rock Goes To College, Colchester 1978
Gillan - Reading Fest 1980
Hawkwind - Space Ritual
UFO - Strangers in the Night
Queen - The Rainbow 31/3/74
Hendix - Isle of Wight
Frank Marino - Live
Judas Priest - Memphis TN 1983 (official DVD)
Billy Idol - Lancing Jan 1984 (old bootleg cassette)
Eric Johnson - Austin City Limits 1984 (US cable TV broadcast)
Kim Mitchell - Oshawa Civic 1984 (Much Music TV special)
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Sep 11, 2010, 18:39
Hello there. Some Enchanted Evening is one of the few albums that benefits from the extra tracks on the reissue (in my opinion). Should have been a double live in the first place. Amazed it wasn't as the terms double live and Blue Oyster Cult just seem to belong together. Still prefer the stodgier sound of On Your Feet. On Your Feet is their Rock live album and Some Enchanted Evening their AOR live album. Listening to SEE now and Godzilla is awesome.

My copy of On Your Feet is a cassette that I think you did for me anyway...

Didn't you buy that copy of Space Ritual from Newark Libary?
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Sep 11, 2010, 20:08
Couple I don't think I've seen listed
Television Old waldorf & The Blow Up (the other '78 My Father's Place is also great)
King crimson Nightwatch & The great deceiver
John Martyn Battle of Medway, not been able to find my Live at Leeds or I might check that too.

Seeds Raw & Alive (even if it isn't really it's close enough to to be about their best lp)

iggy & The stooges LA '73
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index