Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Live Albums
Sep 07, 2010, 22:42
Not a live album, just an individual cut:

Simply Saucer "Illegal Bodies" -- incredible 10 minute Velvets-go-Hawkwind jam recorded on the roof of a shopping center!
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Sep 07, 2010, 22:47
Have never been able to get hold of "Beyond the Wall". No disrespect to Ronnie but I would be far happier having a favourite live Sabbath album with Ozzie on it
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Sep 07, 2010, 22:55
Personally, I think The Name of This Band is Talking Heads is way better than Stop Making Sense. It's probably my favourite thing they did.

Also:

Les Rallizes Denudes - 77 Live

Roy Harper - Live at Les Cousins (Most of this is just him rambling awkwardly into the mic. There was something extra-sweet and sensitive about his set that night, though. He said it was probably because he'd recently given up dope)

High Rise Live

Velvet Underground - Live at the Gymnasium

Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers Live

And practically every Peel Session ever recorded.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Sep 07, 2010, 22:58
Just realize I misspoke in my original post -- Sabbath "Live At Last" is the munged-out crudathon to which I meant to refer. The Dio live album is a little too produced for my taste.

One of the most absurd live albums ever is Ozzy's "Speak Of The Devil" -- for one thing it's obviously NOT live, since Oz sounds hoarse and out of breath when he talks to the audience, but as soon as the music starts all of a sudden he's double-tracked and buried in reverb! And his shit band consists of: the lead guitarist from Night Ranger, the bass player from Quiet Riot and the drummer from Black Oak Arkansas!! They do 100% Sabbath songs, because this album was rushed out to compete with Dio-Sabbath's "Live Evil" album. And the punchline is the Ozzy record sold a lot more copies.

Anyway, "Spock" is a bootleg and I'm sure it's not too hard to find online, or else someone around here can trade you a copy. The sound (and performance) is waaaaay better than "Live At Last".

Video-wise, that Sabbath TV gig from Paris 1970 is one of the greats. I used to have a VHS bootleg, think it might have been legitimately released by now?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvuI8d57N9I
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Sep 08, 2010, 00:53
Good call on Talking Heads "forgotten" double live.

On a somewhat related note, dig "801 Live" featuring Eno & Manzanera.

A favorite Peel Session is the Thin Lizzy one -- that might be their best album in fact! All the hits played even better.
Doody
33 posts

Sep 08, 2010, 01:16
Magazine, Play - great performances that don't simply copy the album versions, and I think it's the only record they did with Robin Simon on guitar.

Neil Young, Time Fades Away - despite the fact that Young dismisses it (and, consequently, it's not available on CD), it actually sounds pretty good. Plus, none of the songs shows up anywhere else. "Don't Be Denied" - great tune.

Lou Reed, Rock n Roll Animal: pretty awesome guitar playing on most of this, especially the intro to "Sweet Jane." When I listened to that after getting Marquee Moon, both albums made a lot more sense to me.
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Sep 08, 2010, 01:17
My favourite Hawkwind album is Live '79.

Generally prefer studio albums.
geoffrey_prime
geoffrey_prime
758 posts

Sep 08, 2010, 02:34
Current 93 - Halo
Man - Live at the Padget Rooms
Hawkwind - Space Ritual
Neil Young - Rust Never Sleeps / WELD
Be-Bop Deluxe - Live in the Air Age
Amon Duul II - Live in London
The Tubes - What do you want from Live
Zappa/Mothers - Ahead of their time
GroBschnitt - Solar Music Live
Front 242 - Live Code
Skinny Puppy - Brap
Zariadris
Zariadris
286 posts

Edited Sep 08, 2010, 06:07
Sep 08, 2010, 03:31
Some great and inspired choices on this thread. I might also add the following, which have given me a lot of pleasure over the years:

Frumpy - Live
Achim Reichel - Erholung
H.P. Lovecraft - May 11, 1968
Fields of the Nephilim - Earth Inferno
Miles Davis - Agartha
and, warts and all, Led Zep's Song Remains The Same
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Sep 08, 2010, 08:14
Sep 08, 2010, 07:34