Live Albums

Pages: 10 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Live Albums
Sep 07, 2010, 20:13
Which ones do it for you? My list of favourite live albums has embarrassingly remained unchanged for the last twenty odd years (the most recent being Thin White Rope's 1993 "The One That Got Away" - importantly its a Live Double). This reveals what a simple loyal soul I am, but also that the golden age of the live album has passed. Or has it? Enlighten my ignorance.

Newark libary had an original vinyl copy of Space Ritual right up to the late eighties which was highly influential with the 4 people who ever got it out. Probably changed my life.

Space Ritual - Hawkwind
Performance - Spacemen 3
Exit Stage Left - Rush (in my opinion the only essential Rush album)
On Your Feet Or On Your Knees - Blue Oyster Cult (ditto Blue Oyster Cult - thanks Joe)
A Live Record - Camel
Les Bains Douches 1979 - Joy Division
The One That Got Away - Thin White Rope
Fucked Up Inside - Spiritualized
Live And Let Live - Twelfth Night
Live Evil - Black Sabbath (because I am from the midlands and it is great).

10 is enough to be getting on with. No Grateful Dead, Who, Deep Purple, Miles Davis or bloody Yessongs. How wrong I am...
pooley
pooley
501 posts

Re: Live Albums
Sep 07, 2010, 20:24
Talking heads - stop making sense
Live seeds - Nick cave
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Edited Sep 07, 2010, 20:50
Sep 07, 2010, 20:46
I really like Sammy Davis at the Coconut grove, then on the other hand I like Between Nothingness and Eternity by Mahavishnu Mk1. I also like the live contributions from the 1971 Glastonbury Fayre Album, with the exception of the EBB, Pink Fairies. The Gong gig does not count as it's from Paris. Being myself from the Midlands I like bent needles by The Mean Street Dealers, and Mountain Live Twin Peaks being conned and brainwashed on a regular basis by Robin Valk and Reddingtons on a Saturday lunchtime respectively.
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Sep 07, 2010, 21:11
Not many people in this London-centric country know that Robin Valk also did a show where he interviewed John Lydon who also picked the music. Take that Thomas the Vance.

For those interested they were Ijahman Levi (Jah Heavy Load), Black Uhuru (No No No), The Normal (TVOD), Gregory Isaacs (Saturday Night), Ken Boothe (Got To Get Away) and Kraftwork (Showroom Dummies).

Just in a making lists kind of mood.
aether
149 posts

Edited Sep 07, 2010, 21:42
Sep 07, 2010, 21:13
Three to throw in right away are:

Ummagumma [Record One] and/or Live at Pompeii's bootleg release

Magma Live (1975) - the bass and drum work on Kohntark by Paganottii/Vander is possibly the best rhythm section live performance I've ever heard

John Coltrane - Live at the Village Vanguard - if they had "musical" dictionaries (what an idea!!! - I bet they exist in some form anyway!)
then this Lp would play under the entry Spiritual Jazz!
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6195 posts

Sep 07, 2010, 21:23
10 then:

Billy Bragg - "Live Solo Bootleg", solo recording from Australia, early 2000s, sold at BB gigs.

Cardiacs - "All That Glitters Is A Mare's Nest", at the peak of their "fame".

The Chameleons - "Live in Toronto". 1987 gig, Chams live were always great because of the ad lib additions to the lyrics and tunes.

The Durutti Column - "Live At The Venue". There is a lack of decent DC live albums, especially covering the last decade when Vini's been out an d about more than ever. However, this does have the terrific live take on "Jacqueline".

Echo & the Bunnymen - "Live In Liverpool", early 2000s set. Great version of "Ocean Rain".

The Fall - "In A Hole". Difficult to pick just one, but this probably has the classic-est line-up.

Joy Division - almost impossible to chose one gig, so let's have "Paradiso", which has been semi-officially released.

Kraftwerk - "Minumum Maximum", recent best-of run through, but what style!

New Model Army - "... & Nobody Else", although "Raw Melody Men" is just as good.

The Wedding Present - "Shepherd's Bush Welcomes...", another recent set by a reformed band. Two good double sets have been released on Scopitones as well: "Live 1987" and "Live 1988". Can't wait for the "Seamonsters" era to get added.

Just as well we're talking officially released gigs though, as much more quality stuff has only been released on boots. For example, neither New Order nor the Smiths are well-represented by official live albums.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Sep 07, 2010, 22:10
Robot Emperor wrote:
Which ones do it for you? My list of favourite live albums has embarrassingly remained unchanged for the last twenty odd years (the most recent being Thin White Rope's 1993 "The One That Got Away" - importantly its a Live Double). This reveals what a simple loyal soul I am, but also that the golden age of the live album has passed. Or has it? Enlighten my ignorance.

Newark libary had an original vinyl copy of Space Ritual right up to the late eighties which was highly influential with the 4 people who ever got it out. Probably changed my life.

Space Ritual - Hawkwind
Performance - Spacemen 3
Exit Stage Left - Rush (in my opinion the only essential Rush album)
On Your Feet Or On Your Knees - Blue Oyster Cult (ditto Blue Oyster Cult - thanks Joe)
A Live Record - Camel
Les Bains Douches 1979 - Joy Division
The One That Got Away - Thin White Rope
Fucked Up Inside - Spiritualized
Live And Let Live - Twelfth Night
Live Evil - Black Sabbath (because I am from the midlands and it is great).

10 is enough to be getting on with. No Grateful Dead, Who, Deep Purple, Miles Davis or bloody Yessongs. How wrong I am...

Definitely with you on Space Ritual and Blue Oyster Cult.

I'd add (for starters):

Spirit Live at the Rainbow
Focus Live at the Rainbow (I've just seen them, so it is getting some plays!)
King Crimson - Earth
Tangerine Dream - Ricochet
Slade Alive!
Bob Marley Live
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Sep 07, 2010, 22:11
Robot Emperor wrote:

Funny that, guess which Davis California band I'm listening to live material by for the first time in a while when I look at this for the first time? Do wish i'd got the visuals for hat show you mention,. the double cd is pretty decent.

I think my fav live show is a bootleg though, so while it has had more circulation over the last couple of years than before a lot of people probably don't know it
Black Flag Marquee '84 & it has a different feel to other recordings of them the same year. i always hear bits of Link wray in there.

Henry Cow in '75 on the Freedom 3cd set or The Concerts lp are great too.
Grateful dead in august '68 or May 70 so officially 2 From the Vault or Dick's Picks 8. Though DP 4 is great too.
Davy graham afterhours (the candid late night hull party recording)
Birthday Party Live 81-82 or Minneapolis '83
Gun Club Hamburg 83
got quite a few so may return to this.

Stevo
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Sep 08, 2010, 17:37
Sep 07, 2010, 22:30
The Guess Who - Live At The Paramount. My favorite live album ever.

Black Oak Arkansas - Raunch & Roll Live. Their only essential album.

Neil Young - Time Fades Away (Live Rust and Arc also good)

Zappa - YCDTOSA vol. 2 (The Helsinki Concert)

Hendrix - Band of Gypsys (and Live At Fillmore East is 2 more CD's from those same shows)

Santana - Lotus (their most essential album along with Abraxas)

Miles Davis - other than Dark Magus, don't like the live stuff as much as studio (I still say Agharta is overrated.)

Black Sabbath - Live At Last* (so munged-out it's a classic in spite of itself -- love how they play the fast parts faster and the slow parts slower! Actually "Behind The Wall Of Spock" is probably better all around.) ((* originally put "Live Evil" by mistake.))

Oldies but goodies: The Who Live At Leeds. Deep Purple Made In Japan.

The Runaways and The Sweet did underrated live albums too.

I think Grateful Dead bootlegs are usually better than their live albums (though their official live albums are generally better than the studio ones -- especially the obvious first three Live/Dead, Skull & Roses, Europe 72.)

Jefferson Airplane's two live albums both have good stuff -- "30 Seconds Over Winterland" being the more underrated (they almost sounded like Black Sabbath in '73 -- LOUD!!!)

"Grand Funk Railroad Live Album" has a certain caveman charm, and captures the vibe of a huuuuuge 70's concert very well.

Not much time for: live Yes, Zeppelin, Rush.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2543 posts

Edited Sep 07, 2010, 22:44
Sep 07, 2010, 22:40
The Night The Light Shone In Long Beach - ELO (Mike Edwards plays on this, outstanding version of Daytripper)

Snaz - Nazareth Live (in Vancouver)

Live In The City Of Light - Simple Minds (Le Zenith, Paris)

Exit Stage Left - Rush

Bursting Out - Jethro Tull

Live and Dangerous - Thin Lizzy

Live at Leeds - The Who

Homecoming - Nazareth (at The Garage in Glasgow, what a sweat bucket of a night)
Pages: 10 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index