Sep 09, 2010, 17:40
(Kira not Gira!)
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Re: Live Albums
Sep 09, 2010, 17:44
aether wrote:
isn't "mountain jam" off EAT A PEACH a corker, B? You could be forgiven for thinking it was Popol Vuh at times. Some lovely guitar!

Aether

Oh yes. That's exactly why I picked it over the Fillmore album. The version of Elizabeth Reed on "Peach" is also god like.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Sep 09, 2010, 17:58
Dog 3000 wrote:

Black Flag - Who's Got The 10 1/2? (the classic lineup of the band)

Don't think so. There is much more support for the classic line up of that band having to include Chuck Dukowski the bassist who left and was replaced by Kira, at which point the band slowed down.
The classic Kira line up has Bill Stevenson on drums and is best witnessed in '84, especially on that Marquee set my friend recorded.
Stevo
machineryelf
3681 posts

Sep 09, 2010, 18:45
Dog 3000 wrote:
(Kira not Gira!)

whoops ,Gira is the Swans guy isn't he
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Sep 09, 2010, 18:51
So true about live albums being a good introduction to a band in the days before the internet, when everything was just so much harder to find. Explains why I have had so many over the years. Many of the albums you mention I have only got to listen to over the last few years thanks to the internet - The SAHB one for example. So I am finding new live albums all the time - most of them over thirty years old though.

Some more old fav's

Status Quo Live. Come on it's great. Would be surprised if this was one of those "almost live" heavily doctored albums. Chancers they may have been

One Live Badger. A debut album which is also a live album. Is this unique? Produced by Jon Anderson at the concert Yessongs was recorded. Have never met anyone else who likes it. Even people who think Yes went downhill after Tony Kaye left.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Sep 09, 2010, 19:02
I always thought the general viewpoint was the classic line up was when Dez Cadena was on vox,or maybe the original Rollins line up, but things were on a constant downhill after Rollins joined.
Must admit I've always preferred 10 and a half to Live 84, but I've not heard the CD of either which I think are well expanded on both
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Sep 09, 2010, 19:13
Robot Emperor wrote:
So true about live albums being a good introduction to a band in the days before the internet, when everything was just so much harder to find. Explains why I have had so many over the years. Many of the albums you mention I have only got to listen to over the last few years thanks to the internet - The SAHB one for example. So I am finding new live albums all the time - most of them over thirty years old though.

Some more old fav's

Status Quo Live. Come on it's great. Would be surprised if this was one of those "almost live" heavily doctored albums. Chancers they may have been

One Live Badger. A debut album which is also a live album. Is this unique? Produced by Jon Anderson at the concert Yessongs was recorded. Have never met anyone else who likes it. Even people who think Yes went downhill after Tony Kaye left.

I loved Quo in that era (up to and inc Blue For You) and that Badger album is a really good straight up rock record. It sounds just like gigs in those days sounded. You can hear the sound as it was in the hall rather than how it sounded through the monitors.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Sep 09, 2010, 19:34
Yup!
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Sep 09, 2010, 19:46
Sep 09, 2010, 19:41
In MY opinion, the best line up was the rhythm section of Kira & Bill.

The "Slip It In" era when they fused the streams of their early furious style with the My War "slow grooving" style. Sort of a punk rock "jam band" at that point.

I think this was their musical peak (not in terms of lyrics or "image" though -- in fact the lyrics are mostly worthless after the "Damaged" LP. Just Hank's whining and horny-band-on-the-road stuff.)

Though personally I also dig their look at that point -- Rollins hair got long, and the drummer looks kinda like Animal from the Muppets. Hippy punks!

These guys here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxKFImER0vA

Don't they almost seem like "the next step after The Stooges"?
aether
149 posts

Edited Sep 09, 2010, 19:48
Sep 09, 2010, 19:45
Was talking with my mate yesterday about Floyd Live - Isn't strange they waited till 88 (after Ummagumma of course) to put out a live LP - what with their pioneering live sound mix around 73, a live 2LP of the Dark Side Tour shoulda been a cert. I think -

I know they had Pompeeii which is a quality flm, and the remaster of that with the DSOTM stuff is probably the nearest thing we'll get to what i'm talking about. I know they didn't differ much from the LP versions from Dark Sie on - but a 73 tour live double with DSOTM, echoes, careful with that axe and Set the controls in a nice lavish package would've been great!!!

Of course they were bootlegged to death but to me thats all the more reason for a live LP AT THE TIME!!! (i.e. 73/4).

And visually, I think they've got a full show with synched sound from the dark side tour because they always show it in documentaries - the careful with that axe clip with Rog with his ciggie in his bass strings (best place for it!! - hahaha!! - only joking, I fucking love the floyd, but Rog was no Jaco was he?)

I'm sure they could rustle up a nice Dark Side Tour 73 DVD
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index