Unsung Forum »
Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 18 July 2010 CE

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
machineryelf
3681 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 18 July 2010 CE
Jul 19, 2010, 10:36
Cult – Love whilst most people would find 4cds to be spreading the Love pretty thinly I can’t find a wasted note here, looking forward to the Electric box

Yardbirds – On Air , and an old vinyl best of double in green & clear vinyl, spent the w/e finding the seemingly simple Train Kept A Rollin riff is in fact a bit of a tricky bugger

Black Tempest – Ex Proxima, Proxima best cds of the year made in a bedroom in suburbia, one of the many problems facing the music industry is all the top stuff is being made without them. As suggested elsewhere the ideal way to play these is back to back, Ex Proxima is a stunning mix of Blade Runner soundtrack meets kraut drone, even the now infamous free jazz section makes perfect sense, it fits perfectly as if you were walking down a street took a short cut through an indoor market and then back onto the street again, nice one squid, my only worry is have you got any ideas left for the 3rd instalment?

A R Rahman – A retrospective purchased on a whim after hearing a doc on Radio4, probably should have done a bit more research, as 3cds covers everything including a great deal of sub continental pop floss and a fair few sting sound-alike amongst it must be said a fair few gems, I really cannot see it appealing to anyone here unless someone has a secret urge to hear an Indian Lloyd –Webber, it’s bit like a collection of all those tunes you get at the end of films thrown together, having said that CD2 track 9 is already on my i-pod and has been played to death, and the Miley Cyrus sings Dead Can Dance track is probably the most outlandish thing I have heard this year

Bowie – Low

MC5 – High Times

Roxy Music – For Your Pleasure how can any resist the line ‘Bungalow Ranch Style’ or for that matter a love song to a rubber doll , Bryan may have been a bit short of puff on Jonathan Ross but the line ‘My breath is inside you’ still attracts & disgusts every time

Sam Gopal – Escalator really should get the full facts on this but from what I can gather Lemmy was hired as a session player and then made his own album with a bit of help from Mr Gopal, a lost gem

Mad Season – Above grungeblues, I suspect most of you should avoid this, over wrought Pearl Jam? I like it though

Soundgarden – Bad Motor Finger BIGROCK, still enjoy this as it is at core total Sabbath worship

Isobel Campbell & Marl Lanegan – Ballad Of The Broken Sea was Ms Campbell in the vile Belle & Sebastian? If so Mark Lanegan should be applauded for rescuing her from twee indiedom and given a pat on the back

Patti Smith – Radio Ethiopia a classic, but the remaster has a pointless extra track on the end that whist not ruining it kinda buggers up the end which is a shame

Warrior Soul – Drugs God & The New Republic top quality hair metal [yes such a thing exists] also contains Joy Division fan baiting cover of Interzone.

Stargazers Assistant – The Otherside Of The Island nice bit of darkly ambient noodling, not sure what is on the otherside of the island but I expect it would fuck you & eat you, but not necessarily in that order

Wire – On Returning best of the first 3 LPs, and pretty stunning
machineryelf
3681 posts

Jul 19, 2010, 10:38
BOW DOWN TO THE EXIT SIGN – David Holmes good call, must dig that out, makes me even keener on the new Faust as well
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Jul 19, 2010, 10:46
Jul 19, 2010, 10:42
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0007371861/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=17RG61AFER5KKTZBH88R&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467198433&pf_rd_i=468294

Preorder thing elsewhere but is released in the UK. Anna got a copy of the tracks from someone, she's at work at the mo so I can't ask her where.

Being as we're both massive Kristin Hersh fans we will be getting a copy of the book asap.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Jul 19, 2010, 10:53
machineryelf wrote:
Black Tempest – Ex Proxima, Proxima best cds of the year made in a bedroom in suburbia, one of the many problems facing the music industry is all the top stuff is being made without them. As suggested elsewhere the ideal way to play these is back to back, Ex Proxima is a stunning mix of Blade Runner soundtrack meets kraut drone, even the now infamous free jazz section makes perfect sense, it fits perfectly as if you were walking down a street took a short cut through an indoor market and then back onto the street again, nice one squid, my only worry is have you got any ideas left for the 3rd instalment?

Thanks everso for that Mr Elf, that's really cheered me up on Monday morning when I'm wondering what the hell I'm doing in this office! And I wouldn't worry about the third installment, I've got plans for a whole ongoing series of CDs!

And I like your description of the jazz bit - it is that Fausty kinda thing to me, walk past the open door of a studio and hear something fleetingly in passing. Or that was kind of the intention anway.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Jul 19, 2010, 11:24
Second Family Band - Dream Release
Wonderful lofi psychedelic jams. I love this v.much.

Daphne Oram - Oramics
Still charging my valves and overloading my oscillators.

Thomas Koner - Permafrost
Brrrr! Chilly and bleak but beautiful.

PFM -L'Isola Di Niente
Had this for a while since Rolling Ronnie passed it on to me, but it has only just clicked. Top proggery.

ELP - Brain Salad Surgery
Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans
I needed a dose of overblown over-the-topness.

Eleh - Observation Momentum
I get strange looks from the Squidlings when I play this. Minimal drones and tones.

White Hills - S/T
Still sounding splendid!

John Martyn - Solid Air
Summer's evening bliss.

Queen II
Fantastically, unstoppably glam and fab.

Steve Hillage - Fish Rising
One of those albums that I've loved for decades, and only play every onw and then so as not to get bored of it. Still sounds unbelievably good after all these years.
Buck Flair
Buck Flair
796 posts

Jul 19, 2010, 11:31
White Hills - No Game To Play

Julian Cope - Discover Odin

Bauhaus - In The Flat Field

Matt Johnson - Burning Blue Soul

Scott Walker - The Drift

Pixies - Trompe Le Monde

Therapy? - Nurse

Supertramp - Breakfast In America

The The - Soul Mining

Humble Pie - Rockin' The Fillmore

The Rolling Stones - Rock And Roll Circus

Sun Dial - Return Journey

Spaceship - Out Of Time's Abyss

White Pee - Wing Off A Plane

Wings - Band On The Run

Lucid Dream, The - Dippy EP

Björk - Post
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1708 posts

Jul 19, 2010, 11:50
The Vic Lewis Orchestra play the music of Donovan: The Boy in the Saffron Robe (orchestral versions of Donovan tunes- not entirely as corny as you might imagine, as they're arranged and produced by John Cameron, who conjures a few moments of pastoral loveliness that would sit well on many of his film soundtracks).

The Rolling Stones- Between the Buttons (on balance I actually prefer the early-to-mid period Stones, with Brian on assorted recorders,sitars etc, to their more popular and mythologised period as blues-rock titans, ie. from 'Beggars...' to 'Exile...' This oft-overlooked LP finds them at their most modish and dandified).

Phantom- Smoke and Mirrors (debut LP from a new band that is very much high gothic. Female vocals and doomy ethereal soundscapes- think Faith-era Cure with Siouxsie up front instead of Bob, early Cocteaus or Dead Can Dance).

Seeland- How To Live (the former lounge-krautrockers have gone pop on us! Much more song-based and melodic than their last record- some moments are very much in an 80s Cope vein- will take a few more listens to sink in though).

Van Morrison- No Guru, No Method, No Teacher (er, no thanks! My Van explorations hit the buffer with this inexplicably rated 80s stinker, which to my ears sounds like a soulless '80s approximation of the Astral Weeks sound,with lyrics by someone who swallowed far too-many self-help books and is just regurgitating buzzwords. And what's happened to his voice? Sorry, but I'm getting off the Van van at Common One and going no further).

Fairport Convention- What We Did On Our Holidays (majesterial! Only marred by my slightly duff 80s vinyl pressing).

Graham Nash- Wild Tales (rather dull on first listen- though it took me a while to get into Songs For Beginners, too).

Cherry Vanilla- Bad Girl (great camp fun).

The Lowland Hundred- Under Cambrian Sky (a real grower, this- kind of Robert Wyatt / Kevin Ayers / Gorkys Zygotic Mynci vocals and melodies over a sound collage of field recordings that occasionally conjure the sinister sound worlds of Scott Walker on Tilt or Drift. Recommended).

Roky Erickson- True Love Cast Out All Evil (I have to say, I'm getting less out of this with repeated plays. Overly polite, and all the songs have the same chord sequences. But still, it has its moments).

The Ramones- S/T. Nuff said!
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Jul 19, 2010, 19:50
A-ha! Now I understand (helps if you read the blurb). The album is the book!
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Jul 19, 2010, 19:52
Fine selections here, indeed.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Jul 19, 2010, 20:33
I never really gave Dancehall much of a chance, mostly because whining about how Reggae died with the '80s along with everything else just sounded so neat and easy. The kind of opinion music mags drum into you. But you know, some of the best stuff ever made came out in that decade, so I don't see why it should be too different with reggae. I think when I first heard Dancehall I wrote it off as the New Romantic of Reggae. Totally wrong. Here's a link to a show on Digital Dancehall by Rinse.FM that's almost singlehandedly brought the genre back from the dead for me. So much excellent music.

http://www.theheatwave.co.uk/music/item/25yearsofdancehall/
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index