4611 posts

Edited Jul 18, 2010, 18:56
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 18 July 2010 CE
Jul 18, 2010, 18:55
Sun Araw - On Patrol

Joni Mitchell - Court & Spark

Rare Earth - In Concert

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Second Family Band - Good Blood LP (release date imminent!)

Live in Concert:

LIARS -- first time seeing them and they did not disappoint. I thought the songs from "Drum" and "Drowned" came off the best, but then those are my favorite of their albums. Club barely half full, young crowd, more ladies & dancing than usual for "rock" shows.

SOUTHERN CULTURE ON THE SKIDS -- southern gothic rockers who have been at it since the 1980's. Like CCR ("Bayou Country" era) meets The B-52's, The Cramps and maybe a bit of 70's chick country (bassist Mary Huff has a terrific voice, too bad she's not the lead singer.) Drinking, dancing, fun.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Jul 18, 2010, 19:01
Jul 18, 2010, 19:00
redfish365 wrote:

Sabbath Assembly/ Restored to One (super fuckin' cool, retro-heavy organ and guitar based rawk with all lyrics taken from 70s cult The Process Church of the Final Judgement. Weird, wonderful and a bit ominous. Like the soundtrack to a grim early 70s grindhouse rape revenge movie.)

I am digging that one as well. The singer is Jessica from JEX THOTH! I think her voice actually works better in this context than with her more metal band. (Though haven't heard the latest JT release -- there is a 3 song EP supposed to be out soon.)
flashbackcaruso
1056 posts

Edited Jul 22, 2010, 08:57
Jul 18, 2010, 21:53
Nick Drake - Made To Love Magic
Traffic - Mr Fantasy
Traffic - Traffic
Traffic - Last Exit
Pink Floyd - Obscured By Clouds
Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
The Beach Boys - Surfer Girl
Genesis - From Genesis To Revelations
Steve Hackett - Voyage Of The Acolyte
Steve Hackett - Please Don't Touch
Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Titch - If No-One Sang (one of the great singles bands of the sixties. This album seems to have ambitions to be something special, but sadly they couldn't maintain the quality of those brilliant 45's)
Anne Briggs - Sing A Song For You
Wishbone Ash - Pilgrimage
Madness - 7
Laurie Anderson - Big Science ('O Superman' never fails to make me feel sublimely depressed. A truly unique track - full credit to John Peel and the British public of 1982 who sent it to number 2 in the charts)
Yes - Yes
Uriah Heep - Demons & Wizards (swotting up for High Voltage. Just one week away!)
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Jul 18, 2010, 22:04
flashbackcaruso wrote:
'O Superman' never fails to make me feel sublimely depressed. A truly unique track - full credit to John Peel and the British public of 1982 who sent it to number 2 in the charts

A wonderful record. When it catches you right, it's spine-tingling.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2557 posts

Jul 18, 2010, 22:05
An Ordinary Day In An Unusual Place - Us3

Black Swan - Athlete

Deflowered - Baby Bartok

Kamakiriad - Donald Fagen

Strange Kind Of Love - Love And Money

Creeping Up On Jesus - The Big Dish

Early Gold - Simple Minds

English Settlement - XTC

Aural Sculpture - The Stranglers

The Catch - Nazareth

plus new tunes from Glasvegas and Attic Lights.
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Jul 18, 2010, 22:06
This is actually my first exposure to Jex Thoth and I dig her voice in this context. Based on this I yesterday ordered her solo album... not recalling the title but it has a red colored cover I believe.

Anyway, this Sabbath Assembly has just the coolest vibe and I really love it!
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Jul 18, 2010, 22:54
Micky Moody will be joining Heep at High Voltage... no doubt to replace Ken Hensley and some of his lovely slide guitar work from Demons and Wizards. Wish I were there!
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Jul 18, 2010, 23:56
Fuck me, what a revelatory choice of LP's. Expect my list for next week to reflect this lot, not least 'Pilgrimage' which is resonating (with utmost pleasure) chez fitter as I type. Wishbone Ash need some serious re-evaluating. Always the least hip of bands, and the least deserving of being so.
keith a
9573 posts

Jul 19, 2010, 00:49
LIFE’S A GAS – Marc Bolan
Raw versions of likes of Raw Ramp and Jeepster, demo’s of The Slider and Cadillac, and the untreated Children Of Rarn suite thing. On yellow vinyl. Lovely!!

SWIM - Caribou
Loving Odessa. Enjoying the rest more each listen.

FAUST IS LAST – Faust
I've previously extolled the virtues of Feed The Greed, but it’s pushed all the way by the excellent Babylon, a shouty beat-driven number not unlike David Holmes excellent Living Room which made me dig out....

BOW DOWN TO THE EXIT SIGN – David Holmes
And how glad I was that I did! It’s even better than I remember. 69 Police is fab but it’s Living Room that stands out. I must have played at least three times one day. It’s simply awesome!

KOYO – Junkboy
I’m not convinced they’ve succeeded in improving on their last one, Three, but there’s still much to be enjoyed. They still bring Pet Sounds and Bryter Layter to mind at times. No bad thing!

2010 – Prince
As mentioned elsewhere here I think he seems to be trying to re-live former glories.

III – Santana
I’d not heard this in something like 35 years back when a schoolmate lent me what he always called Santana’s Third Album, not Santana III for some reason and as a result I have always found myself calling it the same. I didn’t really remember the first track, but as soon as the vocals came on in No One To Depend On I found myself saying “I remember this”. To no-one in particular!

SPADES & HOES & PLOWS – David Wrench
Hmm. Not sure about this one. Kinda interesting, but...

ALSO...
SHINY BEAST DEMO’S – Captain Beefheart
ROOTS & ECHOES – The Coral
S/T – Richard Hawley
PLATOON – Magic Lantern
SNOWFLAKE MIDNIGHT – Mercury Rev
LEEDS LUNGS – Rolling Stones
SOMETHING CLOCKWORK THIS WAY COMES - Spider & the Flies
HEY VENUS – Super Furry Animals
SPECULATION – To Rococo Rot
SURF’S UP - David Thomas And Two Pale Boys
BRINGING HOME THE ASHES – Wild Swans
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Jul 19, 2010, 02:50
Jul 19, 2010, 02:49
The first Jex Thoth album is self-titled and has a red sleeve (one of Julian's AOTM's.) It's not a solo album though, "Jex Thoth" is the name of the band as well as the singer (kinda like "Alice Cooper" in the early days.)

PS - "Judge of Mankind" from the Sabbath Assembly has been running through my head a lot lately!
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index