Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
1001realapes
1001realapes
2387 posts

Edited Jul 18, 2010, 04:39
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 18 July 2010 CE
Jul 18, 2010, 04:38
"Klaus Schulze/ La Vie Electronique 4. (Should I pursue 5 and 6? I love 1-4 so I may just get 'em."

Yes !
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Jul 18, 2010, 04:41
Thanks for the tip on Parallelograms, Sinner!
I'll grab one and see what I think!
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Jul 18, 2010, 05:28
redfish365 wrote:
Thanks for the tip on Parallelograms, Sinner!
I'll grab one and see what I think!

One warning: if you don't like Joni Mitchell, don't go anywhere near this album!

Here are those three tracks I mentioned:

Parallelograms: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS38j-PsnpY

Hey, Who Really Cares & Chimacum Rain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM5X-X7x81Y
zerkalo
zerkalo
488 posts

Jul 18, 2010, 09:47
redfish365 wrote:
Heya' Ming, what do you think of the Linda Perhacs album? Any good? It's uncanny that you're listening to it as it has been on my wishlist for probably 6 months now and I recently bumped it up to the top but since you've got it I'd love to know what you think. Is it up there with say Mellow Candle or perhaps Espers or is it something of lesser merit? I haven't heard a single note of it but only read reviews... your opinion will carry much weight with me and it'll either get purchased or fall into obscurity at the bottom of my list.

If you don't mind me chipping in here I think it's a superb album, but comes more from Joni Mitchell school of acoustic singer songwriter music, albeit psychedelicized. She's also got a gorgeous voice although some might find it a bit syrupy in places, reminds me a tad of Karen Carpenter in places, but that's not a problem with me as I like her voice anyway. Definitely worth getting hold of, but even more so is an album that often gets compared to Parallelograms that being These Trails' sole self-titled debut, which is a weird blend of psych folk, Arp synth and Hawaiian styling, an amazing must-hear album but nowt like Linda Perhacs imho.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jul 18, 2010, 10:16
Linda Perhacs is pretty great. I think one good description would be irridescent. It seems to shimmer as though evverything were played through an echoplex or something.
So comparisons to Mellow Candle would be somewhat misleading.

I haven't heard the Sunbeam version of the recording, think that's the current most widely available. Version i have is the one the guy who rediscovered her put out once he got the mastertapes from her. Think he'd put out an earlier version that he'd had to needledrop. she had gone into obscurity almost immediately after the release and I think she was a dental nurse for years. think his original released version had had contact details for him should anybody know anything about her whereabouts. So she got in contact with him and a far superior version was released.
I assume the Sunbeam version is based on that, though they may have remastered it themselves.

A comparison being made at the time of the remastered release was to Hawaiian commune group These Trails. I'm not familiar with that recording though.
Stevo
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Jul 18, 2010, 10:23
All Days Are Nights - Rufus Wainwright
Dream Theory In Malaya - Jon Hassell
Ambient 2 - Eno & Budd
Music In Twelve Parts - Michael Riesman & Philip Glass Ensemble
Prince - Prince (1979)
20 Ten - Prince
Music From Lovely Bones - unreleased Brian Eno score
Naked City
Howlin Wind - Graham Parker
Ladies and Gentlemen (expanded) - Spiritualized
McCartney - Paul McCartney
Psychedelic Sundae: the Best of Vanilla Fudge
LA Woman - The Doors
Gregory Isaacs in Dub, Dub a de Number One
Sandox in Dub, Chant to Jah

and one to avoid at all costs .... Beam Me Up - Daniel Johnston
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Edited Jul 18, 2010, 10:30
Jul 18, 2010, 10:28
Sin Agog wrote:

Malicorne - Le Marriage Anglais (Malicorne 2)

There's been a lot of Malicorne & related material turning up on Dime recently. Think it's later 70s Malicorne and a reunion tour by Gilbert Yacoub and one other.
There was also a 1/2 hr video set by Alain Stivell from Cork in '78.

Oddest thing I found related to this stuf was the bassist from AMT slipping into what sounded very similar between numbers when they played live here 2 years back. Isn't La Nova based on similar melodies too?

Sin Agog wrote:

Gonjasufi - A Sufi & a Killer

got that from Demonoid last week. Think it described it as arabic surf music but it gets a bit weirder than that very trippy in places. Wasn't sure when it was from though. Bits sound like they're contemporary and others pretty early 70s.
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Jul 18, 2010, 11:26
redfish365 wrote:
Heya' Ming, what do you think of the Linda Perhacs album? Any good? It's uncanny that you're listening to it as it has been on my wishlist for probably 6 months now and I recently bumped it up to the top but since you've got it I'd love to know what you think. Is it up there with say Mellow Candle or perhaps Espers or is it something of lesser merit? I haven't heard a single note of it but only read reviews... your opinion will carry much weight with me and it'll either get purchased or fall into obscurity at the bottom of my list.

Also how is the new Black Angels?

I can't top the advice already given really. I really like it though but check out that youtube video of the song Parallelograms - if you like that then the rest of the album is nearly as good, with a few absolute nuggets on it.

redfish365 wrote:
Oops! Passover isn't new! Sorry!
I guess Phosphene Dream is the new one but isn't out yet...

Aye, I'm getting in the mood for Phosphene Dreams going on presale, as I'm chomping for the new one. Directions to See a Ghost will be on the stereo later (if I can just unglue the Blitzen Trapper CD from it).

Peace & Love buddy
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Edited Jul 18, 2010, 12:49
Jul 18, 2010, 12:47
Poco 'The Songs Of Richie Furay'
John Mayall 'So Many Roads'
Heaven 17 'Penthouse & Pavement'
The Teardrop Explodes 'Kilimanjaro' (Deluxe Edition)
Neil Young 'Neil Young'
Anthrax 'State Of Euphoria'
John Martyn 'Bless The Weather'
Caravan 'Cunning Stunts'
Anthony Braxton 'Coventry (1985)'
Dave Brubeck 'Countdown Time In Outer Space' and 'Jazz Impressions Of Japan'
Lou Donaldson 'Forgotten Man'
Mahler 9 (Solti/LSO and Bernstein/Concertgebouw)
Bruckner 8 (Giulini/BPO live)
and organ music from Messiaen, Reger and Bach.

Off to Canterbury for the Kent beer festival this week. A touch of Old Peculier makes me think.

Have a spiffing week

Dave
zerkalo
zerkalo
488 posts

Jul 18, 2010, 13:10
Fitter Stoke wrote:

Off to Canterbury for the Kent beer festival this week. A touch of Old Peculier makes me think.

My idea of heaven that, drinking my favourite beverage in one of my favourite British cities, bliss! Should they be represented there keep an eye out for Thornbridge and Allendale brewery's Kipling and Wolf respectively, two of my very favourite tipples that I really couldn't recommend higher.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index