Unsung Forum »
Glastonbury coverage

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Re: Glastonbury coverage
Jun 27, 2011, 13:17
I only caught the little girl singing with Jesse J. I thought she was part of the act but apparently not. And Mark Radcliffe looking a bit like John Peel.
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Jun 27, 2011, 13:34
Toni Torino wrote:
...And Mark Radcliffe looking a bit like John Peel.

He really does, these days! I hadn't realised the Beeb had sacked him twice from covering Glastonbury, in the past. I wonder what naughty things he did.
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Something for Moon Cat
Jun 29, 2011, 13:42
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZk_nL8K2Gg&feature=youtu.be
wychburyman
951 posts

Re: Something for Moon Cat
Jun 29, 2011, 17:11
Kid Calamity wrote:

Tsk, what no Bono?
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jun 29, 2011, 17:31
Kid Calamity wrote:
- but I was saddened to see that the kinda folk going to Glastonbury these days are the kinda people who like that mediocre shite. ?

Sorry KC (and others) but we get this kinda thing EVERY YEAR (ZZZZZzzzz) usually from people that don't go, have never been, don't go any more etc etc ad infi-gripum.

There's even a sign onsite where you can go stand that says "Queue here to complain that it's not as good as it used to be".

It's worth restating that the TV coverage of Glasto usually represents a very mainstream, telly friendly (er...possibly cos it's on TELLY?!) mere, teeny microcosm of the delights on offer. Judging a festival of the scale and scope of Glastonbury on what filters out onto the gogglebox via the mealy mouths of the BBC presentes is like buying a model Eifell Tower and a straw donkey and saying "Well, that's Europe done then!"

And this thing about mainstream acts? It's worth noting again - Glastonbury is big. It's fucking huge. It's not so much a festival as a mental city, a complete environment, that erupts out of the ground for a week. It's a place that people go to that happens to have music and bands playing a lot rather than a music festival. And, as such, it has to cater for the divergent tastes of its citizens, who come in all shapes, sizes, and importantly, ages. Perhaps it would be more 'real' to have 24 hour sets by Hawkwind or Jazzskronk, but why should a 17 kid who happens to like White Lies or something, have that when it's possible to cater for all?
And, when the snob-shades have dropped off, and folk loosen up a bit it's also worth noting that some of these big bands are....REALLY FUCKING GOOD at what they do. To play a field the size of the Pyramid Stage in the pissing rain and still be causing moments of rapture for thousands; it can be an amazing thing to witness and, yes, be a part of.

Caught a bit of U2 and they were great - even with all the Bono Bollocks - they know what they were doing and made a lotta folk happy. A
Elbow were...MAGNIFICENT. It was their moment and the vibe across the field was utterly magical. Totally left the stage a smoking crater for Mouldplay to salvage something out of. When bands of this kinda stature (and, I would argue, Elbow's music may dally with the 'mainstream' but is in no way subsumed by it. The last album is beautiful.) get it right, on that stage - it is utterly splendid to behold. Joyous even.

But then, there is so, so much more than that...

Put it this way, yer Zane Low's and Fearn Cotton's would last about 5 mins in the hedonistic meltdown zone of Shangri La hee hee heee x
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jun 29, 2011, 18:55
We caught some Moz (we lived next door) and it was ok but I think he was actually better when he played a few years ago (2005?) and seemed a bit tetchy about it. Certainly, the Smiths songs were covered with more care and attention back then and there was more of a sense of occasion about it. He was ok this year but not great.
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
356 posts

Re: Primal Scream were Great!
Jun 30, 2011, 12:58
Jasonaparkes wrote:
I prefer Primal Scream in the Vanishing Point/XTRMTR era - they played great versions of both Higher Than the Sun and Come Together around the time of the Shields' mix of If They Move Kill 'Em...I always thought Screamadelica was the Sgt Pepper of its day and diluted what others had already done, e.g. Psychic TV, The Shamen, AR Kane, The KLF, 23 Skidoo, Mark Stewart & the Maffia, Tackhead etc...Plus their Elevators' cover always sucked and if Screamadelica is so classic, why have they dropped songs/reworked the running order?

When in the midst of a recent Screamadelica obsession, after the album gigs, I re-read some reviews online to kill some time at work. This giddy eyed 5 star rave review from 2005 stood out and then popped into my head again after reading the above from the very same fella.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R1CZ5A7WLIS2H6

The Elevators cover always sucked??? Or "the album flips into dance-mode with a pulsing-reinterpretation of The 13th Floor Elevators' LSD-soaked psychedelic classic 'Slip Inside This House'"

I know opinions change over the years but I find it best to be truthful and honest when writing so publicly. Why not just say "I used to think this album was wonderful but now........". Just a thought like.

Anyways, Moon Cat, good post there about Glasto. I agree. The main stages can be witness to some emotional events. I stupidly find myself getting teary eyed sometimes watching it on TV when a band clicks into place with the audience and you feel something magical happening. I'm not a big Elbow fan at all but seeing the joy there was wonderful. Must be some feeling be on stage with that happening.
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index