Glastonbury coverage

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9576 posts

Re: Glastonbury coverage
Jun 26, 2011, 21:58
drewbhoy wrote:

edit. The Horrors sounded very good as well.

Missed them unfortunately. Will check 'em out on the website!
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Jun 26, 2011, 22:14
Blimey - I kind of missed it. That hasn't happened before. That reflects worse on me than on Glastonbury!
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2559 posts

Jun 26, 2011, 22:30
They sound like early Simple Minds.
keith a
9576 posts

Jun 26, 2011, 22:39
They're a strange one.

The first album was kinda like garage rock being played by a band who were living up to their name as The Horrors. The second was Krautrock. And the new stuff sounds, as you say, like early Simple Minds.

Add to that one of them doing a side project that sounded like The Normal or something and you've got a confused band! ; )
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2559 posts

Jun 26, 2011, 23:04
Just watched Glasvegas again, sorry I was wrong, absolutely brilliant! Glad you've time for The Horrors tho.
FifePsy
FifePsy
540 posts

Jun 26, 2011, 23:12
Has other stuff on this w/e so didn't have the chance to check out much. Saw Moz on Fri evening who i thought was great apart from This Charming Man which had all the subtlety of a herd of rampaging elephants. Satellite of Love cover was ace. Watched a bit of Bonzo & crew but gave up when the spaceman came on.

Delighted to see Omar Souleyman get some prime time coverage yesterday.

Highlight though was today on the radio on Maconie's slot. At least some acknowledgement of 1971 and a great interview with Edwyn Collins. Gruff Rhys also interviewed a bit later by Cerys. Some decent live tracks - Pulp, Wobble, and an outfit called Foster the People (?) who were new to me but sounded great.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Re: Primal Scream were Great!
Jun 27, 2011, 00:48
Jasonaparkes wrote:
I prefer Primal Scream in the Vanishing Point/XTRMTR era - they played great versions of both Higher Than the Sun and Come Together around the time of the Shields' mix of If They Move Kill 'Em...I always thought Screamadelica was the Sgt Pepper of its day and diluted what others had already done, e.g. Psychic TV, The Shamen, AR Kane, The KLF, 23 Skidoo, Mark Stewart & the Maffia, Tackhead etc...Plus their Elevators' cover always sucked and if Screamadelica is so classic, why have they dropped songs/reworked the running order?

Then again, I have pretty much loathed PS since seeing them on their Riot City Blues tour...mainly as one minute they were playing great stuff like Burning Wheel, Swastika Eyes, Kill All Hippies & the one they did with Will Sergeant and the next it was Rocks, Jailbird, Country Girl, Nitty Gritty, Suicide Sally & Johnny Guitar plus Stooges knock offs...Though I objected more to some E'd up twat telling me during 'Swastika Eyes' to "get involved" - whether that meant me getting off my tits, dismantling the mass media, or signing a Palestine-petition, I don't know. In retrospect I probably should have lamped the fucker - bad vibes stem from the Scream...

yeah... it does sound like it! Both those albums you mentioned are great too. Have they still got Kevin Shields playing for them? I heard they drafted in a new guitarist. Anyway i don't have any politics involving them except really loving those songs
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Jun 27, 2011, 09:43
A nice review of events from the Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/jun/27/glastonbury-still-springs-a-surprise
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
356 posts

Re: Primal Scream were Great!
Jun 27, 2011, 12:11
jb lamptoast-morsley wrote:
Jasonaparkes wrote:
I prefer Primal Scream in the Vanishing Point/XTRMTR era - they played great versions of both Higher Than the Sun and Come Together around the time of the Shields' mix of If They Move Kill 'Em...I always thought Screamadelica was the Sgt Pepper of its day and diluted what others had already done, e.g. Psychic TV, The Shamen, AR Kane, The KLF, 23 Skidoo, Mark Stewart & the Maffia, Tackhead etc...Plus their Elevators' cover always sucked and if Screamadelica is so classic, why have they dropped songs/reworked the running order?

Then again, I have pretty much loathed PS since seeing them on their Riot City Blues tour...mainly as one minute they were playing great stuff like Burning Wheel, Swastika Eyes, Kill All Hippies & the one they did with Will Sergeant and the next it was Rocks, Jailbird, Country Girl, Nitty Gritty, Suicide Sally & Johnny Guitar plus Stooges knock offs...Though I objected more to some E'd up twat telling me during 'Swastika Eyes' to "get involved" - whether that meant me getting off my tits, dismantling the mass media, or signing a Palestine-petition, I don't know. In retrospect I probably should have lamped the fucker - bad vibes stem from the Scream...

yeah... it does sound like it! Both those albums you mentioned are great too. Have they still got Kevin Shields playing for them? I heard they drafted in a new guitarist. Anyway i don't have any politics involving them except really loving those songs

What songs have they dropped then???

Saw them at Olympia last year and Brixton in March and they didn't drop any songs. They've re-jigged the track listing live to end on the euphoria of HTTS, Loaded and Come Together rather than the slower come down tracks on the actual album. I'm all for it. Much rather go home on the high that is Come Together than the comedown of Shine Like Stars.

No Shields on board this time round. The guitarist from Little Barrie replaced Robert Young who left around Riot City Blues (prob because he knew how naff that album and the follow up would be).
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Jun 27, 2011, 13:04
can't find footage of this anywhere. Not on the BBC Glastonbury website as yet 8o(
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index