Unsung Forum »
Glastonbury coverage

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Re: Glastonbury coverage
Jun 26, 2011, 10:43
Overall, what I've seen has been dreadfully disappointing, so far.

Cee Lo's voice just can't go the distance of an entire song, Coldplay and U2 are pretty bland outfits, anyway - but I was saddened to see that the kinda folk going to Glastonbury these days are the kinda people who like that mediocre shite. White Lies?!!? Mumford & Sons!!?? Jeez. And, I'm sorry Drew, but Glasvegas really do not do it for me, either.

I really hope that there has been some good thought provoking and stimulating stuff going on elsewhere away from the mainstream media's cameras.

Erm... Am I getting old?
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Jun 26, 2011, 11:17
Jun 26, 2011, 11:17
I haven't listened to or watched any coverage these past couple of years. I'm completely disinterested. I know if that if I was there, I'd find plenty of interesting and groovy things going on away from the centre, but the whole McGlastonbury scene is an anathema to me.It's a social 'must' for moronic celebs and media whores. The Pyramid Stage ? Coldplay ? Snoopy Z or whatever he's called ? For fucks sake....
MrsSevenrealm
MrsSevenrealm
204 posts

Jun 26, 2011, 11:18
Also it's cheating if you
a) take a tent
b) eat
c) don't drop loads of acid.
Do people still do acid at festivals, or at all, or is it all designer drugs now?
Confused of Burnley.
Jasonaparkes
Jasonaparkes
876 posts

Jun 26, 2011, 11:50
The coverage I have seen/endured has been pretty appalling this year. Jo Whiley and Zane Lowe discussing U2 made me want to disconnect my eyeballs and hammer pencils through my eardrums.

Morrissey picked some good songs and had some amusing inter-song banter, but had a terrible band - what they did to The Smiths' songbook was unforgivable.

I quite liked Achtung Baby! at the time, possibly as it was a surprise after Rattle & Hum. So the first five songs coming from that were almost interesting - but in the end it was clinical, the band had additional bits of stage/video screens (so couldn't play a straight up gig like the Boss) and then they played some terribly dull later material. I think this was the reason I had several red wines and whiskies on Friday night...

I thought Wu-Tang Clan (not all of them there) were mostly terrible and I love most of their records from 36 Chambers to Heavy Mental (& have time for pretty much anything by Ghostface Killah and Raekwon). But bad and am glad I didn't go and see them in Brum the other week...

& a lot of what else I've seen (whilst reading, so not a complete waste of time) has been pretty poor: Primal Scream playing Screamadelica, Cee-Lo (the Terence Trent D'Arby of this decade), Mumford, The Gaslight Anthem, Jessie J etc

Terrible stuff - Elbow were alright, but hard to get passionate about (there is a Robert Wyatt/Peter Gabriel Genesis vibe); The Kills sounded rock and roll ("Street level punk" according to Zane Lowe); Janelle Monae was quite enjoyable to watch; there was a pleasing African act who I tuned in halfway through who were groovy; and best of all, I saw Warpaint on the I-Player and they were excellent (especially at the end when they went off on one with 'Elephants' and had some twin-drumming).

I guess the BBC are only showing the obvious stuff and don't have cameras on the Park Stage, so you miss Radiohead, BAD, Warpaint (who played twice), Gruff Rhys, Tame Impala (who played twice), Caribou, Jenny & Johnny, James Blake, Jonny, etc

The BBC are also failing to show lots of other bands who are there. I'd like to have seen Twilight Singers, Battles, DJ Shadow, Gonjasifu, Metronomy...but either they were hardly featured or I'd departed as the focus was on U2 or Coldplay.

Today there are still some people I'd like to see: Jah Wobble, TV on the Radio, Everything Everything ('Final Form' and their new song 'Kimosabe' are excellent), Eels, QOTSA, The Low Anthem, Paul Simon...it's going to be all about Kaiser Chiefs, Robyn, Beyonce, Pendulum, the dire Plan B, etc and more fleshcringing pieces with awful radio DJ's. Zane Lowe's introduction to Coldplay was the worst...

It's far too big, corporate and has a weird demograph - a pity there wasn't more on thet Sound of 71 stage. I'm doing The Green Man and the Moseley Folk Festival instead (with maybe a visit to Field Day as John Cale, Ariel Pink and Warpaint are playing)
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Jun 26, 2011, 12:03
Jun 26, 2011, 12:02
Jasonaparkes wrote:
The coverage I have seen/endured has been pretty appalling this year. Jo Whiley and Zane Lowe discussing U2 made me want to disconnect my eyeballs and hammer pencils through my eardrums.

LOL! Thank God I missed that. Phew.

I don't really do festivals, more of a homebody really, but I would like to check out Green Man, and Sidmouth Folk Festival (down the road in Devon and a week long in different venues). I'm not sure anout WOMAD, as I'm scared of bumping into Annie Lennox and Peter Gabriel. Maybe it's full of Advertising PAs who are weekend Yurt dwellers.

Elbow ? I just don't get it.
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Edited Jun 26, 2011, 12:24
Jun 26, 2011, 12:23
The Sea Cat wrote:
I don't really do festivals, more of a homebody really, but I would like to check out Green Man...

I'm dropping by the Mosely Mostly Jazz Festival, this coming Friday, but can't camp over, at the site - I'm crashing at a friend's barge, instead. I'm also planning of just doing one day of Portishead's Ally Pally shindig, too. Unless my shinking violets get offered anything to play, I suspect that will be Kid Calamity's 2011 festival quota.
keith a
9576 posts

Jun 26, 2011, 12:26
Well it's not been great, but then as someone who doesn't do the festival thing - fields are for cows not live music IMO! ; ) - that's no real surprise.

I'm not saying that I never enjoy anything on the telly (the PSB's were great one year!), but I'm sure that most years I think a lot of it was a bit cack.

This year...well Morrissey was OK. Enjoyed him - good versions of Everyday Is Like Sunday and Irish Blood...

Coldplay did nothing for me, but then I'm not really a fan so why should they?

I wasn't impressed with Glasvegas either. Good drummer but it all seemed a lot of fuss about nothing. And on one called something like Lots Sometimes the singer sounded like some pissed fella outside the chippie! (I'm referring to his singing voice not his accent in case anyone thinks I'm indulging in lazy stereotypying. I'm not!) It felt like five minutes of my life that I'm not gonna get back.

I like Elbow but though I thought they were OK, they didn't blow me away. Certainly not a patch on that BBC performance with the orchestra a couple of years ago.

Saw one track by The Kills. Again OK, but didn't blow me away.

Only caught a bit of Warpaint. Didn't seem as interesting as they did on Later recently but I say that with reservation as I switched over to watch the rest of the T20 international which was surely as disappointing as Glastonbury. That said, if they were that good I'd have stayed with them! I do want to explore them more though.

A frail looking/sounding Noel Harrison doing Windmills... will probably prove more memorable than much of the above.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2559 posts

Edited Jun 26, 2011, 12:34
Jun 26, 2011, 12:32
I thought Glasvegas were brilliant, they Shone Like Stars and did themselves proud. A band that can play, what an original idea!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit. The Horrors sounded very good as well.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Jun 26, 2011, 12:47
A Jazz festival and spannered barge hopping - high jinks methinks!
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Jun 26, 2011, 14:09
It's a foregone conclusion.
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index