Gladwin
Gladwin
402 posts

Kilimanjaro 3CD edition
Jun 16, 2010, 13:51
Just spotted this, over at Spin CDs:

http://www.spincds.com/product.asp?id=9024833

[and, for the link-lazy]

Kilimanjaro was The Teardrop Explodes' 1980 debut album. When it was originally released, the album featured a shadowy photograph of the band on the sleeve, but this was later changed to a cover showing Mount Kilimanjaro, the mountain after which the record was named. The CD the cover artwork reverted to the original for this reissue The original working title for the album was Everyone Wants To Shag The Teardrop Explodes. This was later used for the CD release of demos for the band's never-finished third album. The song "Books" was originally a song by Julian Cope's previous band, The Crucial Three, and was also recorded by Echo & the Bunnymen (as "Read it in Books", released on the b-side of their debut single, and featured on some versions of Crocodiles). The LP reached number 24 on the British pop charts. This treble CD is the final word on the album containing all the early singles, B-Sides and BBC sessions, Sleeve notes by Julian Cope, Dave Balfe and long time press officer Mick Houghton give a great insight into the making of the album. With new boolet artwork from long time collaborator Holly McGrail.

Disc 1
1. Ha Ha I'm Drowning
2. Sleeping Gas
3. Treason
4. Second Head
5. Poppies
6. Went Crazy
7. Brave Boys Keep Their Promises
8. Bouncing Babies
9. Books
10. Thief Of Baghdad
11. When I Dream Original Version

Disc 2
1. Reward
2. Sleeping Gas
3. Camera Camera
4. Kirby Workers Dream Fades 7" Version
5. Bouncing Babies 7" Version
6. All I Am Is Loving You 7" Version
7. Treason Single Version
8. Read It In Books
9. Kilimanjaro
10. Strange House In The Snow 7" Version
11. Use Me
12. Traison (C'Est Juste Une Histoire)
13. Sleeping Gas Live Version

Disc 3
1. Brave Boys Keep Their Promises BBC Session Peel Plus 1979
2. Ha Ha I'm Drowning BBC Session Peel Plus 1979
3. Went Crazy BBC Session Peel Plus 1979
4. Chance BBC Session Peel Plus 1979
5. Thief Of Baghdad BBC Session Peel Plus 1980
6. When I Dream BBC Session Peel Plus 1980
7. The Poppies In The Field BBC Session Peel Plus 1980
8. Reward Mike Read Session 27/10/80
9. Suffocate Mike Read Session 27/10/80
10. For Years Mike Read Session 27/10/80
11. The Great Dominions Mike Read Session 27/10/80

(Universal)

----------

If you don't have Piano and Peel Sessions Plus then there's a lot on offer here.

But if you do have them, then it's pretty much that Mike Read session at the end of the third disc.

However, if the words "original version" at the end of the first disc on what I'm assuming is a reproduced press release at the Spin CDs site means that the album really is going to be presented in its original form then I take all that back.

The fact that Reward appears on the second disc does give this impression, but remember that they did that with the 2000 remaster, placing Reward in the bonus tracks after the album - but the Kilimanjaro tracks were still the remixed versions, regardless of this and the use of the original band photo sleeve.

Can anyone finally clear up whether this really is going to be the original mix or not?
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Re: Kilimanjaro 3CD edition
Jun 16, 2010, 14:36
Yeah, I agree, it looks like one for completists, although it would be interesting to see if the Sleeping Gas EP tracks are properly mastered (they're recorded from vinyl on Piano). Looks like the work of Cally Callomon again!
Still its nice to see some futher justice being done to Cope's legacy - especially after the disasterous Jehovahkill and Peggy Suicide reissues.
To be quite honest, never have I seen an artist's back catalogue so badly served as Island's (or Phonogram for that matter) hit and miss approach.
I know there are plentiful arguments for and against the constant reissuing of certain bodies of work (Forever Changes, The Stone Roses and The La's being notable examples) but I really think its time someone did a careful and loving job on Cope's early solo releases.
I keep having this wonderful fantasy of a 'Title unknown, subtitle: The Tamworth Years' box set. It would include lavish packaging with vinyl replicas of World Shut Your Mouth, Fried and Saint Julian (disgracefully long out of print) along with the usual mush of b-sides, unreleased tracks and live/radio versions). Now, this fantasy does come with an anchoring 'non starter' as Julian rightfully (in some ways) will not endorse such exploitation of his legacy but hey, its just a thought and there's definitely some damage to be undone here (muddy sound on the WSYM and Fried CDs, the non-existant Saint Julian and terrible packaging on the previous issues). We can but dream eh!
copius-freakus2
221 posts

Edited Jun 16, 2010, 23:29
Jun 16, 2010, 23:14
Looks like a good reissue to me. Lets hope that they have mastered the zoo stuff from the masters and not vinyl as before. With KIlimanjaro we have the 1st three Radio 1 session in chronological order on disc 3 Lets hope that they also do another triple for Wilder as well with the 3rd disc featuring the other 4 radio 1 seesions 3 from 1981 and one from 1982 again in chronological order:

Pure Joy Richard Skinner: 6.5.81
Like Leila Khaled Said
I'm Not The Loving Kind
The Culture Bunker

Bent Out Of Shape Richard Skinner: 17.8.81
Better Scream
Screaming Secrets
... and The Fighting Takes Over

The Challenger John Peel: 22.12.81
Sex (Pussyface)
Soft Enough For You

You Disappear From View Kid Jensen: 8.7.82
Log Cabin
Serious Danger
Buchanon

Whilst they are reissuing the teardrops how about a double Cd DVD set. One disc the Teardrop Explodes "Radio 1 in concert" and the second a DVD of "The Old Grey Whilstle Test gig" The "Top of The Pops" Appearances and all the Teardrops videos. One can but dream!

Out of interest anyone here in the audience for the Whistle Test gig?

Cheers

copius-freakus-2
Glam Descendant
1539 posts

Jun 17, 2010, 03:24
So is the version of "Suffocate" on the US vinyl from the Mike Read Session or am I confused?
necropolist
necropolist
1689 posts

Jun 17, 2010, 07:05
oh goodie, just what I need, a sixth copy of Kilimanjaro!
common era
865 posts

Edited Jun 17, 2010, 10:28
Jun 17, 2010, 10:26
Glam Descendant wrote:
So is the version of "Suffocate" on the US vinyl from the Mike Read Session or am I confused?

No, the session version is separate from the studio versions (below) being recorded specifically for that radio session. It is similar to version #1 below. I have always believed was for Richard Skinner's show not Mike Read, but I may be wrong?

There are two studio versions of the song:

1. Normal band version, initially on the US release of Kilimanjaro, but also on the 'You Disappear From View' 7" single.

2. Suffocate (Baroque version) is the second studio version. Basically the same with the addition of a orchestral strings arrangement to it. This first appeared on the 12" version of the 'You Disappear From View' single.
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Jun 17, 2010, 14:35
necropolist wrote:
oh goodie, just what I need, a sixth copy of Kilimanjaro!

I haven't bothered buying a copy of this or Wilder, and the only other TX cds I own are Zoology and Everyone Wants. I've been meaning to get those reissues for years, but I'm glad I waited. However, does this release (and the assumed Wilder deluxe edition) compile all of the tracks from this era (ie: no need to go and buy Piano or Peel Sessions or some other compilation)?
Gladwin
Gladwin
402 posts

Edited Jun 17, 2010, 14:47
Jun 17, 2010, 14:46
No; you'll still need the 2001 remasters of both albums, for the associated b-sides:

http://www.trampolene.ca/Music/kilimanjaro.htm

http://www.trampolene.ca/Music/wilder.htm

And if you can feel yourself turning into a completist then you'll also want Christ Versus Warhol and the Baroque version of Suffocate, which - without second-guessing any expanded Wilder tracklist - are I think currently only available on The Greatest Hit.

And the last three tracks from Piano seem not to be on that second disc of the new Kilimanjaro:

http://www.trampolene.ca/Music/piano.htm
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1709 posts

Jun 17, 2010, 20:04
Hmm. I never bought the 12" of You Disappear because I had the double 7" and assumed that it just reproduced the same tracks.

Apparently not.
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Jun 17, 2010, 21:19
Gladwin wrote:
No; you'll still need the 2001 remasters of both albums, for the associated b-sides:

And the last three tracks from Piano seem not to be on that second disc of the new Kilimanjaro.

Aren't those ones tracks 9-13 on disc two? And the last three tracks from Piano are from the Lake Placid comp, so maybe those will show up on a possible Wilder reissue.
Pages: 9 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index