83 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Doody
33 posts

Re: Maligned albums: which do you rate?
Feb 22, 2010, 19:24
Dog 3000 wrote:
Doody wrote:

-Time Fades Away by Neil Young. Supposedly this has never been issued on CD because Young thinks it sounds like garbage. A shame, because it has some great songs ("Don't Be Denied" especially), and I don't think any of the songs winds up elsewhere in any form.

I've heard this too -- the original LP was mastered using some sort of computer system which never caught on, so maybe that has something to do with it (no way to access the original mix anymore?)

It's one of my top 5 Neil albums for sure -- and the original LP has a very interesting sound (a bit "artificial" but definitely a unique live record -- combination of fancy hitech recording and Neil being so wasted and out of tune is another fascinating Neil contradiction.)

Hopefully he'll at least needledrop it for "Archives Vol. 2" (which is due out around 2037 I understand.)

Yeah, on the center labels it even lists the computer system. But, come on, it's 2010 - there's a way to remaster anything. I just think it's funny that he seems to be bent out of shape about the performances, because Neil Young is always sloppy. But that's his style - it doesn't sound half-assed, it sounds loose and relaxed.

I don't know how it is in Britain, but at least over here it's not really that rare, so that's a plus if you have a turntable.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index