83 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Feb 19, 2010, 01:03
Re: Maligned albums: which do you rate?
Feb 19, 2010, 00:49
First of all I just gotta say -- my wife was hanging out with Captain Sensible himself last night! (At a Damned gig in San Diego.) Typical forum synchronicity that he would be mentioned on here today . . .

My favorite maligner is definitely "Their Satanic Majesties Request" by the Stones which is their daftest and therefore BEST album!

In fact the only other LP of theirs I would ever want to listen to all the way through is "Sticky Fingers" ("Main Street" has good stuff but could be trimmed to a single disc. Those other late 60's classics are also too overplayed for me to get into them much -- do you really need to hear "Sympathy for the Devil" one more time?)

UPDATE: looking over the other posts, this seems a popular and obvious choice!

Also seconded on the very weird "Self Portrait" by Bob Dylan (there was also a later 1973 contractual obligation album called "Dylan" I believe that is *outtakes* from this album!!! Never heard it but, whoah! There were even less releasable crap covers?! (I'm sure Bob himself never approved of it coming out.)

Neil Young "Trans" doesn't seem that maligned, I think lots of folks have rediscovered it in recent years and it's a big part of the legend of Neil's perverseness. (How about "Re-Ac-Tor" as a more forgotten and almost as interesting one? Or the unassuming pleasures of "Hawks & Doves" from 1980?)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index