Unsung Forum »
Maligned albums: which do you rate?

83 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9572 posts

Re: Maligned albums: which do you rate?
Feb 18, 2010, 21:27
Got mixed feelings about MFP. Some good tracks such as Idiot Box and You Know, etc, but I always feel it needed a better production. I like it all the same though.

As a Bolan fan I've got to give a mention for Zinc Alloy, maligned for it's OTT everything-but-the-kitchen-sink production, but I love it. And Venus Loon and Teenage Dream are definite faves. I also like Bolan's Zip Gun a lot (Think Zinc and Till Dawn are esp fab) and though I recognise Futuristic Dragon is flawed, it's still enjoyable to my ears.

I'm also in the minority of Cope fans who like My Nation Underground. I haven't got a problem with the lush late 80's production. I prefer it to a number of other Cope albums - Autogeddon and any Brain Donor album come to mind straight away.

I guess the production on Iggy's Blah Blah Blah hasn't aged well with that big drum sound, but I still like it. Similarly, many folk reckon Bowie's artistic career ended with Scary Monsters but I like Let's Dance a lot despite recognising that DB was going for the hits rather than pushing forward like he had. I was less keen on the next couple but I like most of the ones after that.

I've also got to admit loving Moby's Everything Is Wrong. I know most folk think he's a dick, but it's got some genuinley heartbreaking pieces on it. And Play was a breath of fresh air when it came out till over-familiarity reared its ugly head.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index