Maligned albums: which do you rate?

83 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Doody
33 posts

Re: Maligned albums: which do you rate?
Feb 20, 2010, 05:57
A few I didn't think of at first:

-The final three Buzzcocks singles on Liberty. I don't know anyone who likes these, and I don't know why. "Strange Thing," "Why She's a Girl From the Chainstore," and "What Do You Know?" in particular are really strong tracks, and a complete continuation and evolution of the material that preceded them.

-Kitchens of Distinction in general. I don't know how they went over in the U.K. because I'm American and only 29, but I was talking about them with an older friend who's really into Slowdive, Loop, etc., at a show one night. He said that he remembers Kitchens of Distinction being held up as THE example in the U.S. of how British indie rock was perceived to be slow, pretentious, and fey. What I've heard from them is great and also very energetic, so I have no idea what people back then were talking about. I also love the brutally candid lyrics.

-October File by Die Kreuzen. I won't pretend it's quite as good as the first album, which is one of the few hardcore records I still like, but reviews from when it came out acted like it was a total betrayal on Die Kreuzen's part. First off, it still sounds like Die Kreuzen, just with the Killing Joke and other postpunk influences pushed to the foreground this time. Second, it still has three songs that would've fit perfectly on their first LP. (Stuff like this is why I don't care for hardcore anymore.)

-Songs of the Free by Gang of Four. Not quite as good as Another Day, Another Dollar, and nothing can touch Entertainment! or the yellow EP. (I don't really like Solid Gold too much.) But the lyrical themes are still the same, just more inward-looking, and the music is an evolution rather than a departure. The only real problem is that Jon King sings so off-key on half the tracks. Sigh..."We Live as We Dream, Alone" should have been huge...
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index