Maligned albums: which do you rate?

83 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1706 posts

Re: Maligned albums: which do you rate?
Feb 18, 2010, 20:02
If we're talking about critically-panned albums by critically-rated artists, then off the top of my head I'd nominate Bowie's Anthony Newley-influenced first album- more specifically, in its 'The World of David Bowie' incarnation, thus including the sublime 'London Boys' 'Let Me Sleep Beside You' and 'In The Heat of the Morning.' I love every track on that record, and on some days it's my favourite Bowie album bar none. Certainly my favourite to sing along to.

Also Leonard Cohen's 'Death of a Ladies' Man,' his collaboration with Phil Spector, swiftly disowned. I was playing it over the weekend, and it's great.

Similarly, The Ramones' 'End of the Century' -Spector production, hated by the band and many fans, but it's a brilliant record. Oh yeah, and while we're talking Ramones, can I make a case for 'Halfway to Sanity' as a late-period gem? If you can stomach The Ramones doing goth-pop-metal then 'I Wanna Live' 'Garden of Serenity,' 'Bop Till You Drop' 'Real Cool Time' etc are all fab.

I also really like the Damned's post-Captain albums, 'Phantasmagoria' and 'Anything', far more in fact than the critically-rated 'Strawberries' and 'The Black Album.' There, I've said it.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index