Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1701 posts

Re: Maligned albums: which do you rate?
Feb 20, 2010, 13:23
Gnostic Almighty wrote:
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:

I also really like the Damned's post-Captain albums, 'Phantasmagoria' and 'Anything', far more in fact than the critically-rated 'Strawberries' and 'The Black Album.' There, I've said it.

I must be listening to different albums.

The passage of time since the releases of Phantasmagoria and Anything hasn't done them any harm, and they are imo listenable to now and contain some interesting stuff (especially on Anything), they pale into insigificance when compared to either The Black Album or Strawberries ... or Grave Disorder, So, Who's Paranoid and yes, even Music For Pleasure.

It was of course the Anything line-up of The Damned that became The Phantom Chords, and I feel that if the withdrawn first album would have been actually released from Polydor, it would have all been a different story.

Yeah, I know I'm on my own with this one. I'm not particularly going to try to justify it, it's pure personal taste. I like everything they've done, but in contrast to almost everyone, Strawberries is actually my least favourite Damned album.

By the way, Dave Clarkson- is Surf's Up maligned? Overlooked, maybe- It's my favourite Beach Boys album, flawed, but when it's good, it's majestic.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index