Unsung Forum »
CD manufacture

Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

CD manufacture
Feb 08, 2010, 14:37
Where might I get a good deal on getting some CDs pressed, and packaged? I particularly like the latest Unio & Petitio and Vision Thing ones. I don't want to have to order a massive run, or anything though.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: CD manufacture
Feb 08, 2010, 14:53
There are no doubt a bunch of duplication houses to choose from in the UK... my friend Ben (AKA 'Bris', 'Mister G') gets his done thru an outfit called 'discmakers'. The cost runs roughly about a thousand dollars for a thousand copies (silkscreened cd, full color four panel)... give or take a hundred or two if you want to give up some things, or use digipacks, or insert booklets, that sort of thing.

I think you might have trouble bringing the cost down that much if you're looking for a short run of less than 500 copies. But even if it's a few dollars per copy, you're getting real CDs (not CDR copies) and nicely printed art (you have to supply your own mixdown and graphics talent who know what they're doing, natch).
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

Edited Feb 08, 2010, 15:02
Feb 08, 2010, 15:01
We haven't actually got a date finalised yet for the recording - And will no doubt struggle to raise much in terms of funds, but having something to sell at some venues might make the difference between traveling to some venues and festivals where we'll not get paid a decent fee by promoters.

A proper printed CD might also impress some otherwise fickle biz types.

BTW Dave, Have you heard our new songs 'To Dream' and 'A Minute With You', yet? Pop out!
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Feb 08, 2010, 15:02
Kid Calamity wrote:
BTW Dave, Have you heard our new songs 'To Dream' and 'A Minute With You', yet?

No, but will do. Both on your mySpace page?
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

Edited Feb 08, 2010, 15:03
Feb 08, 2010, 15:03
Pop out!
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Feb 08, 2010, 15:09
I'm considering using this lot for my next CD:
http://www.short-run.co.uk/index.htm

I liked the look of these people - they do eco-friendly packaging, and they look fab, but they are too expensive:
http://wewow.co.uk/
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

Feb 08, 2010, 15:13
BLIMEY!

Full face photo print on CD
Duplication of your music or data onto the discs
4 page booklet
Standard CD Album Case with black tray (we only use premium quality cases)
CD Backliner printed on one side
Delivery and VAT included
Prices include the "pack it yourself" discount and online order discount .

50 for £105.80
100 for £155.60
200 for £267.49
300 for £359.15

NB. Prices have been recently updated so may be slightly inaccurate - will update in due course.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Feb 08, 2010, 15:37
Not bad is it? Or was that exclamation coz you were stunned at the expense involved?!
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Feb 08, 2010, 15:44
Nice!
How are you recording these days? Are you using a single mike in the room (it sounds a bit like this to me) or are you running intruments into a mixing board?

The gain is a bit too high in some places, especially the vocal in 'To Dream'.. it's distorting on 'Overwhelmed By Stimuli' too.

But it's sounding great otherwise.
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

Edited Feb 08, 2010, 15:52
Feb 08, 2010, 15:51
No. I was thinking it was remarkably reasonable. I've bookmarked this for future reference.
Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index