139 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Edited Oct 09, 2009, 18:48
Re: Re:
Oct 09, 2009, 18:41
I wasn't talking about you specifically. I have heard a fair amount of talk 'round here in the vein of 'if you're religious, you're fucked in the head'.

I don't like having it 'shoved down my throat' either. Funny thing is, it doesn't happen. Nobody's tried to evangelize me. The few who've invited me to think like them have been polite about it, and I've politely declined, and that was the end of it.

I didn't suggest that you have to like or 'respect' any particular element of religion, either.

Why shouldn't people be worthy of respect? I'm only talking about the basic rule of treating other people the way you want to be treated. That's really all I'm getting at. Not that we have to bend over backwards to accommodate other's beliefs, just that we don't go around thinking ill of them until they present some clear reason for it.

Not everyone who's Catholic follows the edicts of the Pope. They may still call themselves Catholic, but get abortions or have gay friends anyway.

Real people tend to be a lot more complex and interesting than we imagine them to be, you know.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index