Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Re: Re:
Oct 09, 2009, 12:32
handofdave wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
handofdave wrote:
So, if Julian Cope hates Jesus, we're all supposed to hate Jesus too, is that it?

Not at all, I was just expressing suprise that people were shocked to see anti-religious sentiments expressed here. And as for Tonestone's "good xtian/dead xtian" thing, I don't think he was being entirely serious, as I think he said later he was quoting a song.

Edit: and what "religious predjudice" was I displaying? I have merely been talking from the point of view of someone who doesn't believe in something that seems (to me) scientifically unlikely. Is that predjudice? I don't hate people who have religious beliefs, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with them does it?

There is a difference between hating religion in general and saying that each and every person who is religious is someone to shun and abhor. "You believe in a sky God? Wow, you must be some kind of psychotic idiot" sounds pretty much exactly the same as "You don't believe in God? You're going to hell" to me.

I don't hate people because they're Xtians, or Atheists, or Muslims, or what have you... I hate 'em when they have the nerve to think that they have the sole truth, and everyone else is condemnable.

For Chrissakes (no pun intended), what's happened to distinctions? I fucking HATE it when people oversimplify an issue. I hate it even more when they lump huge numbers of people into a single category and then blanket condemn them all based on the worst examples. That is prejudice, the last time I checked.

Err, I know I have a faulty memory, but I really don't remember calling Christians "psychotic idiots"! You've really got me wrong, too, if you think I hate Christians, I just don't understand the mindset, and I get involved in discussions like this partially in order to get my head around it. What I do hate though is the idea that religions deserve "respect". I can tolerate people being christian, but not if they force their views down my throat. same goes for other religions too.

An example of this from real life...
I have a muslim aquaintance at work. He knows that I am a vegetarian, but still insisted on telling me about how he had forced his 8 year old son to slaughter a lamb as part of a ritual. From my POV this borders on abuse, not to mention cruelty, and yet I was expected to think that this was indeed a fine thing, and to accept it - in other words to "show respect" for his religious views.

I agree with what you say about generalising, it is a bad habit. Nonetheless, when considering something like Cathlosism (sp?), it is hard not to generalise at times, given that (I may be wrong here) they are all supposed to follow the edicts of that pope chappy.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index