Pages: 18 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
fauny fergus
fauny fergus
310 posts

Edited Apr 02, 2009, 10:51
Re: AOTM
Apr 02, 2009, 10:51
I've got to admit this is the first time i've listened to kiss since i was about 12 or so (1982) and i thought they were weak cartoon shit then. But now? Well, the 'Dolls comparison I can hear; the Ramones comparison is a good one too: right wing tossers playing trashy rock'n'roll that, at times. The kiss sound is seductively good. But then it's never quite good enough to get me interested enough to go out and hear any more. I guess I just don't have the emotional investment in this particular rock'n'roll reminiscence trip.

And that's from someone who can still raise a smile when he hears Saxon or even Raven :-)
Mrs Ahab
Mrs Ahab
1138 posts

Apr 02, 2009, 13:04
kiss are unsung, don't you think he knows that many people on this forum don't like them or think they don't like them , which makes them unsung, there's no point telling everyone about something we already like, where's the fun in that. He listens to more lowly music everyday and you absolutely know he would and has given anyone a chance from this forum or elsewhere if their music cut it. Beside that my opinion is that this months aotm is likely to be more than all this, i reckon its a gift to his love, so who gives a shit if no one else likes it.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Apr 02, 2009, 14:13
In the 70s Toni Arthur singing We're All Going To The Zoo Tomorrow was fundamentally fulfilling, in so many silly ways, to me.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Apr 02, 2009, 14:28
Dog 3000 wrote:
Popel Vooje wrote:

Trying to read a political message into the music maybe absurd, but in real life Simmons is a self-confessed diehard non-smoking non-drinking pro-war Republican who thinks drug dealers should be executed. Rock'n'Roll!

But does that have anything to do with KISS records? In that context, Gene is a long-tongued fire breathing demon with bass-shaped boner.

His out-of-makeup public image is probably also somewhat fictional. He seems to enjoy being seen as a jerk -- works pretty hard at it! Would it be more rocknroll if he was seen as a tree-hugging democrat? Or wouldn't that undercut the hedonistic individualism that is central to the "KISS brand image" even more? ;-)

He's a "barbarian" anyway, right? Thinkins fer squares, it's stompy boot time!

Well, it is possible to be a tree-hugging liberal and still retain a sense of rock'n'roll theatrics and humour - Mr. Cope exemplifies this, surely?

I'd like to spike both Ted Nugent and Gene Simmons with LSD (and Sammy Hagar, for that matter). Wouldn't normally approve of such a practise, but in their cases I don't see how it could be anything but beneficial!
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Apr 02, 2009, 14:32
Indeed. So was Floella Benjamin singing "The Wheels on the Bus Go Round and Round" - until I found out she was a Tory.
keith a
9573 posts

Apr 02, 2009, 14:48
paradox wrote:
C'mon Keith, the difference between Kiss and Bolan is minimal.

Short, catchy, Rock "n" Roll songs with Gonzoid lyrics!

What's not to like?

Ooh. "The difference between Kiss and Bolan is minimal"?

That cut through my heart like a knife through butter! ; )

Anyway...it's been some time since I last heard Kiss, so in the interest of fairness I've just listened to a couple of tracks on the net, because it's so easy to just keep re-hashing the same long held views without hearing something again.

So...the verdict?

Well less 'heavy' than I remembered, but still terrible.

Empty, redundant, worthless, facile - these are the words that spring to mind. Sorry, they're rubbish!!

Ironically, the band that came to mind most when listening to them was Racey. Rock-n-Roll All Night is Some Girls (Some Girls Do, Some Girls Don't!) for Kerrang fans!

On a different note - I finally got round to getting the new Damned LP, Paradox.
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

Apr 02, 2009, 14:51
Mrs Ahab wrote:
kiss are unsung, don't you think he knows that many people on this forum don't like them or think they don't like them , which makes them unsung, there's no point telling everyone about something we already like, where's the fun in that. He listens to more lowly music everyday and you absolutely know he would and has given anyone a chance from this forum or elsewhere if their music cut it. Beside that my opinion is that this months aotm is likely to be more than all this, i reckon its a gift to his love, so who gives a shit if no one else likes it.

Ahh come on now Mrs this isn't a personal attack on your beloved Jules (I think he is cool too!) ... I know for a fact that Julian is a fair chap, the only point I am making is that *kiss* are a bunch of right wing creeps who write songs about being bad boys from hell in a very cheesy teenage way. Fine!
I *can* understand why *some* may like that trip, and why Metal heads out there dig this kind of stuff, but not every Julian Cope fan is a *metal* head as you well know. I'm not a metal head *but* my mind is open and I will listen to any genre of music, I don’t care so long as it is good, but please don't tell me that Kiss are UnsuNG, CUS I'm not buying it.

Also I think it is a bit abrasive to use the term *lowly music* about some of the fine unsigned artists who post on this site, who in my view (myself and my lofi *lowly* music excluded) are knocking out some great stuff that actually does *CUT IT* and CUTS IT SOME MORE!

Not everything that our Jules has done has (in my humble view) *CUT IT* Yet he got the break and some *lowly* pap did get released. Why? Cuz it was Julian H cOpe, thats why and his devoted fans bought it regardless of its *lowlyness*.

The point I am making here is Julian *sometimes* gets it *wrong*and gets carried away with the whole rock trip! Its no big deal really it is after all his website. I enjoy Julian's reviews, but lets keep it Unsung and maybe he should open his ears to more *lowly* music in the same way he opened it to teenage metal music from the 1970s. Lets have the true outsiders and unsung freaks out there have a little bit of the lime light...not Kiss.

(((CHARLie)))

p.s..this is not personal, it is just my view on the matter.
I know you are good friends with Julian tell him charLIE SAID hello and ROCK oN. BAA BAA BAAa
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7718 posts

Apr 02, 2009, 14:52
keith a wrote:
Empty, redundant, worthless, facile

That's potentially true of any rock 'n' roll, but it depends on the listener.

That description would apply to Bolan for me, as I've yet to hear or read anything that justifies the deification he's achieved. A few reasonable singles in the 70's, but that's true of many others.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Apr 02, 2009, 14:53
I love the smell of vindication in the morning; it smells of victory!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!!!!
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7718 posts

Apr 02, 2009, 14:55
cHARLIE wrote:
Its no big deal really

You wouldn't think so!

As I posted above, I salute Julian for still being able to generate debate.
Gets banged up by the Police and makes an imaginary Kiss compilation his album of the month - ALL ON THE SAME DAY.

Hooray for Julian Cope! He-knows!!
Pages: 18 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index