Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
the dodgy track that ruins an otherwise perfect album.

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: keith, Supercat and Harry
Jan 23, 2009, 08:19
dave clarkson wrote:

Harry....
Love - Da Capo - Revelation - can't believe the group wasted a whole side on this major chord blues dirge when they could have written some more beautiful songs in the vein of Orange Skies and She Comes In Colours. Major major opportunity wasted?

Did Arthur actually have any more songs, wouldn't be a case of him having been too out of it or doing something else at the time? I guess there was always Bryan who probably had a load of material left unused hence the 2 Sundazed solo titles. I just bet there was a pretty prosaic reason why they went the way they did with that record, but it's been about 5 years since I read the Michael Stuart Ware book so I can't remember. Can't remember either if it's covered at all in the Love Story dvd, must rewatch that now without the assistance of whatever amount of vodka lubricated me on 1st watching at Mat's. Not the most mnemonic of stuff really, should I blame the mixer?
Stevo

[/quote]
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: the dodgy track that ruins an otherwise perfect album.
Jan 23, 2009, 08:24
Tunerville Trolley on the 1st Electric Prunes lp. Though I don't think iot's quite so alone in terms of filler on that lp. what was whoever programmed that thinking?

S'il Tu Dois Partir on Unhalfbricking which apparently a lot of people love but I just think is a little too undergraduate. Gosh, we must be intelligent folk we can sing in French, look at us. Wish there were another song to substitute cos otherwise that's a lovely lp.
Harry Worth
Harry Worth
40 posts

Jan 23, 2009, 14:21
dave clarkson wrote:
As I guess you may be fans of the following - thought I'd aim a few more your way to see what you think......

Harry....
Love - Da Capo - Revelation - can't believe the group wasted a whole side on this major chord blues dirge when they could have written some more beautiful songs in the vein of Orange Skies and She Comes In Colours. Major major opportunity wasted?

Yeah, possibly, Revelation is a track I skip usually, that sort of wig out has always bored me. Wasted opportunity? I don't know; where was Arthur's head at the time? !

And as for "I need": weak track but no filler.

"Mad Mad Judy" on "A different kind of Tension" is though. (Memorable for the hilariously bad lyric - "Sex is know as a screw. But we're all gonna do it. Because it's great!" Come on down Steve Diggle a Novello Award awaits!)
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Jan 23, 2009, 21:21
Think the track with the daft diggle lyric is 'you know you can't help it'. I quite like the track and Mad mad Judy purely out of nostalgic reasons and also they do rock too. For me - one of the best tracks on the Tension album is Diggle's 'Sitting Round At Home'. Diggle often comes up with a gem of a track - three being 'sell you everything', 'big brother wheels' and 'between heaven and hell' off the criminally ignored Flat Pack Philosophy album.

8)
1001realapes
1001realapes
2387 posts

Re: Love : Revelation
Jan 24, 2009, 16:24
The song was originally titled
John Lee Hooker and was a
regular part of their live set ,
said to have run up to half an
hour (!) , sadly it's unlikely any
live tapes will turn up : (