Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
the dodgy track that ruins an otherwise perfect album.

Pages: 9 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Shelby Mustang
Shelby Mustang
605 posts

the dodgy track that ruins an otherwise perfect album.
Jan 18, 2009, 12:28
song for bob dylan on the absolutely fucking beautiful hunky dory album. surely someone must've spotted
Shelby Mustang
Shelby Mustang
605 posts

Re: the dodgy track that ruins an otherwise perfect album.
Jan 18, 2009, 12:30
... it.

dave and me were talking about this and i wondered what other dire songs ruined your perfect platter of melody.

sorry about the thread fuck up. in my excitement i pressed record or something and it started on its own x
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

Jan 18, 2009, 12:49
I love the whole of Hunky Dory.
I don't think there's a duffer on there.

One that springs to mind is Sabbath vol 4 and the track, FX!

Why?

What was the point?
machineryelf
3681 posts

Jan 18, 2009, 13:04
FX is the best track on Vol 4, fucking magic tune

early Dire Straits cds had a joke song at the end that ruined them, although I suspect many of you are of the opinion that any music music on a Dire Straits cd ruins it

Moby Dick on Zep 2, any bootlegs etc , in fact any live album with a drum solo

That Tangerine Dream 3cd set that has 2 really out of context early songs at the end, really should have left them off

Most of the Jon Entwistle tunes on the Who records, and the Moon & Daltrey songs on A Quick One.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2606 posts

Jan 18, 2009, 13:41
One that immediately springs to mind - and which will no doubt be disagreed with by many - is the godawful 'Rainy Day Women' that opens 'Blonde On Blonde'. I've always really hated it, yet the rest of that album is utterly sublime - my fave Dylan album after 'Blood On The Tracks' (which, incidentally, has no clunkers at all).

'Revolver' really doesn't need 'Yellow Submarine', and 'Pepper' would be a damn sight better IMHO without 'When I'm Sixty Four'. In fact, McCartney's embarrassing sub-vaudeville moments spoil many a fine Beatles record for me.

'Sloop John B' is kack and gets skipped every time I play the otherwise wonderful 'Pet Sounds'. Trickier to avoid are the unlistenable scary bit that immediately precedes the 'Chet-vah-buddha' bit of 'Faust Tapes', or the annoying-beyond-belief final couple of minutes of 'Flying Teapot's' title track, both serious blemishes on what remain classic records. And 'Aumgn' almost ruins 'Tago Mago' for me.

And I reckon Free's 'Fire & Water' would be vastly improved without bloody 'All Right Now', which I really could do with never hearing again. The deluxe edition that came out last year has it on EIGHT times...aaarrrgghhhhh!!!
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

Jan 18, 2009, 13:49
tune
machineryelf wrote:
FX is the best
track on Vol 4, fucking magic

early Dire Straits cds had a joke song at the end that ruined them, although I suspect many of you are of the opinion that any music music on a Dire Straits cd ruins it

Moby Dick on Zep 2, any bootlegs etc , in fact any live album with a drum solo

That Tangerine Dream 3cd set that has 2 really out of context early songs at the end, really should have left them off

Most of the Jon Entwistle tunes on the Who records, and the Moon & Daltrey songs on A Quick One.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jan 18, 2009, 13:52
If you run into a problem like that again, i.e. post before finishing writing there is an 'EDIT' function that would allow you to add the rest of your message to the initial posting.

As to the thread topic, for years I couldn't stand Corporal Clegg on Saucerful Of Secrets. I think I might be getting a bit more into the music now though but still think it's considerably less good than the rest of the lp.
Stevo
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Jan 18, 2009, 14:00
The older I get the more annoyed I get with Roger Waters input into the Floyd in general. I mean... just about everything he wrote was a fucking downer... all paranoia and griping about his mum and how awful it was having to deal with the recording industry. The direction he took the band in from 'Animals' onward just increasingly became a platform for his bitching and moaning. There's still some great performances on those records, but the last thing I want to hear when I want to get psychedelic is somebody laying down a bad trip!
machineryelf
3681 posts

Jan 18, 2009, 14:06
Ha ha !!

always found the tab amusing

http://www.911tabs.com/link/?3703392

how little imagination do you need to have to look up the guitar tab

btw this is probably not going to be your cup of FX but the final track on Tiermes Mahalvia is give or take a boing a 44min extension of FX, IMHO it's wonderful, you may not be inclined to agree.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Jan 18, 2009, 14:10
Fitter Stoke wrote:

And I reckon Free's 'Fire & Water' would be vastly improved without bloody 'All Right Now', which I really could do with never hearing again. The deluxe edition that came out last year has it on EIGHT times...aaarrrgghhhhh!!!

DSOTM could do without Money, in fact I often skip Stairway on LZ4 because I could do without hearing it again, much the same with Smoke On The Water or any other overplayed song
Pages: 9 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index