Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
the dodgy track that ruins an otherwise perfect album.

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Re: the dodgy track that ruins an otherwise perfect album.
Jan 22, 2009, 00:08
..that should have read 'Heroes' not 'Low'! That's cobra beer for you ...hic.

8)
keith a
9573 posts

Jan 22, 2009, 08:37
dave clarkson wrote:

'Secret Life of Arabia' - was he trying to comfort the fans with a pop track at the end of the album after the challenging nature of the previous tracks - coward!

Wha???????

I love that track, more nowadays than ever. As I put on the soundtrack of our lives thing here, I just the way that shimmering intro emerges after that last forlorn foghorn of Neukoln. I honestly reckon it’s a genuine great moment. Love the way DB sings it, too!

Hang your head in shame, Dave!!
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Jan 22, 2009, 09:04
Wot Keith said!
supercat
supercat
4257 posts

Jan 22, 2009, 15:16
dave clarkson wrote:
off the top of my head - rock albums....

Bowie - Low - 'Secret Life of Arabia' - was he trying to comfort the fans with a pop track at the end of the album after the challenging nature of the previous tracks - coward!

8)

DAVID CLARKSON!!!!!!
(that's all i have to say, i'll just wait for the Red Whirlwind to catch up with you) xx
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Jan 22, 2009, 16:42
Moon Cat wrote:
I'm not overly fond of "Lonely Guy" on 20 Mothers. It just seems a bit grey and dirge like on what is otherwise a pretty colourful album.

Similarly, I have no love for "Feed my Rock'n'Roll" on "Black Sheep (it just sounds like a half-written song to me - excellent lyrics but no tune to speak of). Rest of the album is ace, though.
Harry Worth
Harry Worth
40 posts

Jan 22, 2009, 17:20
dave clarkson wrote:

Love - forever changes - 'Bummer in the Summer' - drivel only saved by guitar hook but no depth like the rest of the album. actually not bad come to think of it but not in the same league as 'Old Man'.

No No NO!.

I am one of those that regards Forever Changes as a perfect album. Though I must say I like the Live at the Festival Hall version better these days.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

keith, Supercat and Harry
Jan 22, 2009, 23:36
As I guess you may be fans of the following - thought I'd aim a few more your way to see what you think......

Keith...
The Smiths - meat is murder - 'barbarism begins at home'. Poor attempt of smiths trying to gain some ground in a dance tune which has as much swing as a lead boot and seems to go on forever.

Supercat...and buzzcocks fan Harry too....
Buzzcocks - Another Music..'I Need' - throwaway filler of a track that pales with the rest of album.

Harry....
Love - Da Capo - Revelation - can't believe the group wasted a whole side on this major chord blues dirge when they could have written some more beautiful songs in the vein of Orange Skies and She Comes In Colours. Major major opportunity wasted?

8)
keith a
9573 posts

Re: keith, Supercat and Harry
Jan 23, 2009, 00:08
dave clarkson wrote:
As I guess you may be fans of the following - thought I'd aim a few more your way to see what you think......

Keith...
The Smiths - meat is murder - 'barbarism begins at home'. Poor attempt of smiths trying to gain some ground in a dance tune which has as much swing as a lead boot and seems to go on forever.

First time I ever heard that track was live in the early part of '84, probably round the time the first LP weas released. I loved it!

Not necesarily one of my faves nowadays though.

dave clarkson wrote:

Supercat...and buzzcocks fan Harry too....
Buzzcocks - Another Music..'I Need' - throwaway filler of a track that pales with the rest of album.

Again not necessarily a fave, but I do like it. I think it's funny!
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Re: keith, Supercat and Harry
Jan 23, 2009, 00:17
Yeah i like Buzzcocks 'I need' too but it's such an album filler. Think it was made up in the studio fairly quickly as i recall an interview with the band discussing it.

8)
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Jan 23, 2009, 00:23
Heathen!!

OK Squid - what about 'A P.H.P's Advice'? Is that the sound of a lost Rentaghost or 70's kids TV track or what? heh heh....

8)
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index