Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
the dodgy track that ruins an otherwise perfect album.

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: the dodgy track that ruins an otherwise perfect album.
Jan 18, 2009, 18:32
There's just been a load of 70/71 Spirit upped to Dime. Thunk you might like to know if you didn't already. Seem to have been 5 or 6 at least from then 1 each from 68 & 69 several mid 70s & a few 90s over the last week.
rojo
rojo
433 posts

Jan 18, 2009, 19:00
Probably gonna flamed for writing this but Feed My R&R doesn't do it for me on Black Sheep. I agree with a comment on here that said the senitment would bave come across better as a poem or written manifesto - not a song
Mule
Mule
588 posts

Jan 18, 2009, 19:43
Robot Emperor wrote:
The fantastic Sabotage is dragged down by Am I Going Insane to the point where I couldn't listen to the album before CD's came along and remote track skiping (getting up and lifting the needle was hard work and now and again resulted in a nice long scratch - kids today dont know their born etc). The tension would build through Thrill Of It All and become unbearable during Supertzar until it arrived and shat in my ear.

Never really appreciated The Writ as I was always in a state of depression or rage after the previous four minutes of abuse.

Ozzy's singing is wack all over that album. And I get the piss ripped out of me for rating 'Technical Ecstasy'!
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Jan 18, 2009, 20:15
Can't think of any at the moment, but I know what you mean. I think something like "Money" doesn't really fit the criteria because when you first heard the album, it was a great tune. After hearing it about 1000 times, you are probably sick of it, but it doesn't mean it ruins the album, only that you listen to the radio too much (or the wrong radio station).

I love the episode of "How I Met Your Mother" (Mondays on CBS if you didn't know) where they recall the tale of Marshall's car. The day he inherits his older brother's Pontiac Fiero, he gets a cassette single of 'I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)" stuck in the car stereo. I remains there through the life of the car, and when he's on a cross country trip with Ted, they go through periods of hating and loving the song. I thought it was bang on when it comes to these 'classic' songs that you hear all the time. Sometimes you hear them in a different context, or you realize something about them that makes you appreciate them even more.

Then again, sometimes you hate them even more.
mr sulcus
mr sulcus
399 posts

Jan 18, 2009, 22:16
"Revien Cherie" on Animal Serenade by Lou Reed. A cracking live album but why let one of the band members hijack proceedings with one of his own god awful songs. Slap bang in the middle, throws the whole thing off - didn't even bother ripping it for iPod purposes and would go as far as burning a new copy without it.
Five
Five
960 posts

Jan 19, 2009, 00:18
Often the song I like the least when I first listen to a record turns out to be my favorite later on, and vice versa: my initial favorite comes back to haunt me. Although neither has happened to me in a while. Anymore I either like the whole thing or not at all or am generally indifferent. Could be me, or maybe less dynamic variance within albums these days
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Jan 19, 2009, 00:22
keith a wrote:
LA Blues on the otherwise perfect Funhouse.

I'm sure it'd be entertaining live, but on record I just don't need it.

Oddly enough, I thought "LA Blues" was the only part of "Fun House" that didn't work when they played it live. A track that gives the impression of being so spontaneously cooked up in the studio just couldn't be reproduced onstage without sounding contrived and over-rehearsed. The rest of the show was pretty good, mind.
Wiggy
1696 posts

Jan 19, 2009, 11:10
I used to feel the same about Yelow Submarine, but these days I think it makes perfect sense - a psyilly psychedelic sea shanty from a western port city.
My favorite Beatles album.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jan 19, 2009, 11:41
Popel Vooje wrote:

Oddly enough, I thought "LA Blues" was the only part of "Fun House" that didn't work when they played it live. A track that gives the impression of being so spontaneously cooked up in the studio just couldn't be reproduced onstage without sounding contrived and over-rehearsed. The rest of the show was pretty good, mind.

Interesting, think what the earlier poster was referring to was the original live era not the reunion tours. So what you were hearing was a recreated mimicking of something that had worked for the same players 35+ years earlier. At which time their 'music' had evolved from long noisy jams like L.A.Blues which was probably reigned in in the studio. 35 years later the players had all been involved in straighter r'n'r so probably weren't 'going for it' in the same way, which is what you saw.
If you see where I'm coming from.
Stevo
keith a
9573 posts

Jan 19, 2009, 13:46
Yeah, I had meant first time round, Stevo, so know exactly where you're coming from. Interesting that it didn't work live all those years later though.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index