Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
the dodgy track that ruins an otherwise perfect album.

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

Re: the dodgy track that ruins an otherwise perfect album.
Jan 18, 2009, 14:26
Ha Ha, thats great!

I suppose for 1972, it was probably something New and seemed like a good idea at the time!

I don't hate the track, but Supernaut can't kick in soon enough for me!
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Jan 19, 2009, 00:15
Jan 18, 2009, 14:31
handofdave wrote:
The older I get the more annoyed I get with Roger Waters input into the Floyd in general. I mean... just about everything he wrote was a fucking downer... all paranoia and griping about his mum and how awful it was having to deal with the recording industry. The direction he took the band in from 'Animals' onward just increasingly became a platform for his bitching and moaning. There's still some great performances on those records, but the last thing I want to hear when I want to get psychedelic is somebody laying down a bad trip!

Oh, but come on - it must have been pretty hard for him, having to deal with boxes of money falling off the top of the wardrobe and hitting him all the time!

On a more serious note - this will no doubt be a contentious point here, but to me Pink Floyd was Syd Barrett and Rick Wright - the two sadly deceased ones - and no one else. Like you, I don't particularly enjoy Roger Waters' spoilt-brat rantings, and Gilmour's extended soloing also tends to bore the pants off me. Admittedly he has a pleasant enough singing voice and seems like a decent geezer (for a rock star, anyway), but I wouldn't want to listen to "Shine On you Crazy Diamond" all the way through again for any purpose other than as a sleep aid. As for Nick Mason, he's always given the impression of being more interested in vintage cars than music (although his autobiography is quite entertaining).
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Edited Jan 18, 2009, 15:08
Jan 18, 2009, 14:53
For me Floyd will always be about Barrett, first. Everything that followed the first album was pale by comparison to the band under Syd, who I think was truly tapping into magic when he wrote those songs. Shit, I practically start seeing mandalas without drugs when I spin 'Piper'... it's the quintessential essence of Britpsych.

And even after he left the band, his songs on the two solo albums display far more depth and innovation than the space jammies that his old mates were doing for the acid-eating audiences. Not that I dislike the Ummagumma-type material, but it's surface level psych... do you know what I mean? Syd was digging into much deeper territory.

PS: I think 'Meddle' was the best post-Syd record they did.
red paeony
red paeony
184 posts

Edited Jan 18, 2009, 22:49
Jan 18, 2009, 15:02
Syd Barrett - Barrett
Now, I love this album, (and even more the glorious The Madcap Laughs) but the one that clunks along here is "Maisie" It sound like it's been slowed down!

The Velvet Underground & Nico - Andy Warhol
"Heroin". I know it's a VU classic, and maybe I've just heard it too much, but I really don't like it at all and never have. I always skip this one.

Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy - Elton John
I think this album is perfect except for the aural turd that is "Better Off Dead". Next!.

Edit: Bowie's cover of "Let's Spend the Night Together" off Aladdin Sane.
I'd forgotten how much I dislike that track.
red paeony
red paeony
184 posts

Jan 18, 2009, 15:06
handofdave wrote:
... Syd, who I think was truly tapping into magic when he wrote those songs. Shit, I practically start seeing mandalas without drugs when I spin 'Piper'... it's the quintessential essence of Britpsych.

I think just the same, Dave.
That's why my sprog's name is Piper.

;-D x
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Jan 18, 2009, 15:09
red paeony wrote:
handofdave wrote:
... Syd, who I think was truly tapping into magic when he wrote those songs. Shit, I practically start seeing mandalas without drugs when I spin 'Piper'... it's the quintessential essence of Britpsych.

I think just the same, Dave.
That's why my sprog's name is Piper.

;-D x

A lovely name indeed!
Mule
Mule
588 posts

Jan 18, 2009, 16:02
Well I wouldn't say it ruins it, because '12 Dreams of Dr Sardonicus' is to my mind the greatest album ever made, but 'Space Child' does provide a convenient interval to make a cuppa/go to the lav.
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Edited Jan 18, 2009, 16:49
Jan 18, 2009, 16:42
The fantastic Sabotage is dragged down by Am I Going Insane to the point where I couldn't listen to the album before CD's came along and remote track skiping (getting up and lifting the needle was hard work and now and again resulted in a nice long scratch - kids today dont know their born etc). The tension would build through Thrill Of It All and become unbearable during Supertzar until it arrived and shat in my ear.

Never really appreciated The Writ as I was always in a state of depression or rage after the previous four minutes of abuse.
Seatown
71 posts

Edited Jan 18, 2009, 16:57
Jan 18, 2009, 16:56
Our House from Deja Vu (by C.S.N.&Y.)
keith a
9573 posts

Jan 18, 2009, 18:06
LA Blues on the otherwise perfect Funhouse.

I'm sure it'd be entertaining live, but on record I just don't need it.

Light My Fire on Massive Attack's Protection. How such a great act could take such a great song and murder it like this is beyond me!
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index